MDC Flylady Group December - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here is this months list of zones:

Zone 1: The Entrance, Front Porch and Dining Room (Dec 1-7)

Zone 2: The Kitchen (December 8 - 14)

Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room (December 15 - 21)

Zone 4: The Master Bedroom (December 22 - 28)

Zone 5: The Living Room (December 29 - 31)

So I have to admit I have been slacking, my sink is not clean this morning. Guess I better get flying....

How is everyone??????
#2 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 03:29 PM

Hi! I only just found you all this moment,,but have been flying ( well,,I am a total baby still) for about 6 weeks. I just wanted to let you know how thrilled I am to find alternative mama's who are trying to FLY! I thought it was just me!

So Christmas preparations and a hurt back have launched my house into chaos,,it is amazing what a couple of days can do damage wise. I walked upstairs this morning and felt like I always did a couple of months ago,,eek. But today,,I am attacking with timer in hand,,15 minutes each room.

Looking foreward to getting to know you all!

Staci
#3 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 10:20 PM

I'm not doing very well, but it's just because we've been busy (in a good way) this week.
#4 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 02:27 AM

Well, since my entrance and front porch are covered in about 9 inches of snow and the living room, dining room and kitchen are strewn with wet mittens, hats and dripping boots.......I'm taking a snow day!!!

Jerri

PS Maybe a snow week?
#5 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I was good yesterday, I actually went to bed with a clean sink. And did a load of laundry and threw out a HUGE bad of no longer needed stuff.
#6 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 01:32 PM

I'm dressed to shoes, the clean dishes are put away and I have a load in the dryer!

Woo hoo!
#7 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 05:54 PM

I need to catch up with you guys.
I did manage to remove my autumn decorations from my front door/entrance, but that's mostly because they looked silly with 9" of snow on the ground.
Ah well, I'll keep trying.
#8 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 06:46 PM

AHA!!! I knew you all were out there somewhere. I just posted in TAO about Flylady with a toddler.
We planted flowers around our front porch yesterday and hung a wreath on the door. Today I was lucky to get most of my morning routine done. My sink was clean for about 15 minutes.
What do you do on the weekends, when the whole family is home and wreaking havoc in the house?
There should be a little housecleaning smilie with a mop and a kerchief on her head.
#9 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Sahara I saw your thread about toddlers and flying. I couldn't post as I haven't had a toddler in many years (unfortunately) and wasn't flying back then. Hope you got some good adice though :-)
#10 of 45 Old 12-06-2002, 09:02 PM

Dude, I lose it every darn weekend and then spend Monday trying to re-coup.

note: this method is NOT recommended
#11 of 45 Old 12-09-2002, 02:27 AM

I was so glad to see that others struggle with flylady with a toddler! I love flylady; she helped me establish some much needed good habits. I tend to be very scattered and unorganized so i really needed some help. I still benefit from the structure she provided. I get frustrated because I want my house to be sparkly clean, but it ain't gonna happen when my kids need me so much more than I need a clean house. Add to that is the frustration of still unpacking boxes and getting really anxious to get things finished. And yeah I'm amazed at how long it takes to get through one stupid morning routine when dd (age 4) wants to paint or bathe her pet rock in the bathroom sink and ds (20 months) wants to nurse every time he sees me! And right now I'm really super burnt out completely b/c dd was sick all last week so we were in the house going nowhere the whole week!
SO, I think flylady is great, and she does say to take baby steps and delete at will....so that's what I do. My house is much better off even now with two kids than it was before i had any. i just really needed some structure to my extreme right-brain world.
#12 of 45 Old 12-10-2002, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

ok this weeks zone is the kitchen, can you believe that dh stripped my kitchen floors this last weekend?? Yep and they look fab.

what timing! can I take credit?? hmm probably not, lol.
#13 of 45 Old 12-10-2002, 10:05 PM

Mamajamz, this is totally off-topic but my 20 month old DS wants to nurse constantly, too!!! He used to be a bedtime, naptime, morning nurser, but for the last 3 weeks he just can't seem to get enough of it.

Well, I cleaned my fridge today. I don't think it was a formal
'mission', but it desperately needed to be done. We've been keeping up with the sink/dishes for the last week and a half. Luckily DH is the neat one in the family, and he's really into the routines.
Now I just have to figure out how to put away laundry
#14 of 45 Old 12-10-2002, 10:37 PM

How funny--I cleaned out the fridge today too!

I had a flylady "aha" moment today. I remembered that it doesn't have to be perfect. I was forgetting to JUST do 15 minutes, and instead was doing jobs until they looked perfect, with the result of always cleaning, cleaning cleaning. Then I got burnt out! Now my house is far from perfect, but it's not a pig sty either and some parts are actually clean and I feel better about not being a drill sergeant.
#15 of 45 Old 12-11-2002, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like you got it

I didn't do much today, just the dishes. I SUCK! LOLOL

feeling a little hyper and silly
#16 of 45 Old 12-11-2002, 11:25 PM

I'm not officially flying, though I should be. Can I make a comment anyway?

Sahara, I have folded laundry in the laundry room, living room, kitchen, and my bedroom, and in my experience, the only way to get the laundry put away is if I fold it in my room. I also have a pile of hangers beside me, so when I'm sorting the clothes, the hanger ones go straight on, instead of into a pile, into the right room, and then on the hangers and away.

Now if only I could catch up on my odd socks!!
#17 of 45 Old 12-12-2002, 12:07 AM

Ha Ha, we have actually been known to go to bed using our clean, folded laundry as a foot warmer. I thought putting it on the bed would mean it would get done. This was pre-FlyLady, though.
#18 of 45 Old 12-12-2002, 11:47 AM

Sigh.
I'm such a slacker.
My house is a complete mess. I was doing so well, too!
There's dog, cat, rabbit hair all over the carpets, there are dishes in the sink, crap all over the dining room table...
Ugh...
But tonight I'm going to go home and clean! That' s right...CLEAN! If only I didn't have to work this darn day job.
#19 of 45 Old 12-13-2002, 01:10 AM

What a cool thread! I've been flying for almost 2 years. Our house still falls apart sometimes but it comes back together fast. We've all had the flu this week -- ug. No zone cleaning here -- but at least things aren't in complete chaos!

When I first started flylady it was April and my Halloween decorations where still up Really -- no matter how bad it is at your house it can't be worse than mine was when I started

About weekends -- do your morning and evening routine. Have your family members help pick up their own things in the evening. Even a tot can carry their toys/shoes/books/etc back to their rooms. I really think that the evening routine on Sunday night is the most important thing of the whole week. If we just pick up our sh** and put it away at the end of the weekend, everything goes so much better for the whole week.

And even after all this time, my house isn't spotless. It is wonderfully livable and nothing I need to be embarrassed about it, but it is normal home and there is always something more that I could clean. We aren't living in chaos and life is a much less stressful than it used to be.
#20 of 45 Old 12-13-2002, 10:30 PM

You know, every night this week I've made a nice dinner for our family. I just realized it tonight. This is the third week in a row I've been using a menu, and my grocery bill has dropped by $40/week and we are eating better. AND I can see all the food in my fridge, and it's not spoiled.
I've got plenty of other places to work on, but things are shaping up around here.
#21 of 45 Old 12-14-2002, 01:00 PM

Things are shaping up here too!

Finding out there were like minded Mothering mamas who "flew" made a big difference in my attitude. Her brainwashing essays, after months, helped too. I thought I would never change but I am starting to feel a clean kitchen is a gift from myself that I deserve, rather than a sign that I am a slave no one appreciates so I passively aggressively won't clean it. (The babes are out of arms now, can't use that EXTREMELY legitimate excuse anymore )

The decluttering is a difficult spiritual process but I am making process. Trying not to burn out but 15 minutes a day seems to little. Trying to find balance.

But my bathroom and my dishes have made HUGE progress over the last weeks.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#22 of 45 Old 12-14-2002, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Momtwice
The decluttering is a difficult spiritual process but I am making process.
One thing that has surprised me is that this is a spiritual journey. At first I thought it was just about getting the house clean!

Have you read Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui? It talks a lot about how clutter affects us.

As we have decluttered, my DH and I feel more light and free. All the clutter was draining the energy out of us.
#23 of 45 Old 12-14-2002, 03:53 PM

True about clutter. Where is the article about clutter and Feng Shui? I'd like to read that.
#24 of 45 Old 12-14-2002, 09:03 PM

sorry -- it's not an article. It's a book.
#25 of 45 Old 12-14-2002, 09:41 PM

Must be synchronicity with the Universe
I just decluttered an ad for that very book (but wrote the name on my list of books I want to read.)

When I said the process was spiritually hard for me...it's hard for me to let go of clutter especially paper clutter. ( It's hard fo r me to let go of old negative attitudes too. ) I get a headache (I've had a fierce headache today) or catch a cold, start feeling tired or OVERDO and then blow it off...I look forward to the day I feel lighter and freer of clutter but GETTING THERE seems so hard for me. 15 minutes a day doesn't seem like enough but I burn out when I do too much. Balance is an issue. Lack of sunshine and holiday stress are adding to my negative mood.

But I will prevail! My tub is filling right now for ME which I RARELY indulge in.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#26 of 45 Old 12-14-2002, 09:50 PM

I relate to struggling to find balance! I tend to go in waves of doing well, then slouching. I work work work, plan the day, do all kinds of projects with my kids and watch my diet, then all goes to heck the next week.
#27 of 45 Old 12-16-2002, 07:45 PM

Just curious....what is your morning routine?
Here's mine:
make my bed
shower (hopefully) and get dressed (but not always shoes)
make b-fast, then clean up
make dd's bed
dress kids

Sometimes it takes me a LONG time to get through it. Sometimes I skip parts of it when I'm in a hurry (I do an abbreviated morning routine).
#28 of 45 Old 12-17-2002, 09:46 AM

Mine is way too long....and they don't always all get done

1. Exercise :
2. Make bed
3. Dress
4. Tea, breakfast (for everyone), vitamins
5. start laundry
6. dinner plan
7. unload dishwasher
8. load breakfast dishes
9. Do TTC chart
10. Clean table and high chair
11. Brush, floss, mouthwash (I have periodontitis, this helps)

Yesterday I was doing my morning list at 3 in the afternoon.

I also have an afternoon and evening routine, just in case I get that far.
#29 of 45 Old 12-17-2002, 03:20 PM

Sahara,
I find the hardest thing to do is to fit in exercise. I prefer to exercise in the evening, but by the time I take care of the kids, get them to bed, do a couple things I have to do, I'm too tired to exercise. And yet I really want to fit this into the day. I've been wanting to try a new yoga tape I got, but have waiting until I have a set time without the kids, and that hasn't happened, so....Do you get up before your kids?
#30 of 45 Old 12-17-2002, 05:53 PM

Mamajamz,
No, I usually get up with DS (20 months - same as yours!), he still nurses some at night so I need the morning sleep! We live in the country, so when I can I go for a jog with him in the jogging stroller. We renovated our barn and made it a workout room instead, and now DH, DS and I will all go together some mornings and lift weights and stretch and listen to CD's. Usually DS will hang out for 20-30 minutes - we do fast workouts! I have some yoga tapes, too. I do them every once in a while when DS is napping. It all adds up to 30 minutes of exercise 3 days a week, more or less. Less, lately!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page