The Theory of Laundry Equity - a vent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-13-2005, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had this theory for many years. Have you ever noticed that the Universe has decided how many pieces of clothing you must have at any one time? If you get some new things, some of what you already have will be damaged or lost so that the amount of clothing will stay roughly the same. If you try to give old things to Goodwill or declutter, someone will inevitably give you more clothes. Some cosmic force has decided how much clothing you will have at any given time.

I think I will NEVER be able to reduce the amount of clothing my family has.

I just went through the kids clothes and gave away several bags to Goodwill. Yesterday we received a box in the mail from a very distant relative - one I haven't laid eyes on in 15 years. In it was a lovely baby gift for which I am very grateful.... plus a bunch of old hand me down clothing! It would be great except we don't need it. We already have too much! I feel sorry for her that she paid for postage for something that is going straight to Goodwill. I did save one outfit. It's not the fact that it's hand me down stuff....it's just that we don't need any of it.

Why won't the Universe let me declutter?!?
#2 of 6 Old 08-13-2005, 08:19 PM

That bites! :LOL

I don't have that problem though. Must be something you're doing
#3 of 6 Old 08-13-2005, 09:32 PM

I have the same problem!! We gave up 3 bags of kids clothes to Goodwill only to have a neighbor come by and give us a whole bag of clothes for the kids.

Let me preface this that we are new to the nieghborhood and I couldn't very well say No Thank You! The clothes are all in great condition but my kids won't fit into them for at 2 - 4 more years.

Then MIL drops off a whole shopping spree the next day!!

What to do?
#4 of 6 Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM

nothing worse than to be given clothes that won't even fit your child/children for years! I don't have room to store away anything more than I already have and chances are I will find and pull the items out just in time to be to small, right?
#5 of 6 Old 08-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oops, wrong forum
#6 of 6 Old 08-26-2005, 06:32 PM

I was thinking about your theory yesterday when the UPS delivered a box full of hand-me-down clothes for my daughter from her best friend. We JUST moved and I know these clothes will be very nice; but omigosh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page