Can we compare types of Swiffer? Updated - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our swiffer is dying it is the old first run model it's older than the children it's time. :LOL

Anyway I'm looking at the new ones and there are all sorts they have big ones, the ones that squirt cleaner and now this vaccum one?

Which do you like and why? I use microfiber towels with them can you fit the towel on the other ones? The vaccum one sounds really appealing to me, right now I swiffer the floor then get the vaccum out to suck up the pile of stuff the swiffer can get.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#2 of 12 Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM

I have both the older model and the wet jet. I keep the Swiffer Plain and wet pads, so that the kids can mop the floors. Mine are little so they can't navigate the wet jet.

I

Love

The Wet Jet

I doooooo. I use diapers on the bottom instead of the tossaway pads.

I don't know about the vacuuming one, as I have never used it but maybe that's a little over the top?
#3 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 05:28 AM

I like my swiffer wet jet for weekly light mopping. I have a cordless little vacuum that stays handy in the kitchen. The only thing I wish my wet jet did was have a little scrubber..but the newer wetjets incorporated a scrubber so make sure you get one of those if you want a wetjet.

I was never fond of the swiffer dry because I didn't like pushing the dirt and dust bunnies around and then using the dustpan at the end..but the swiffer vacuum looks interesting. I have never tried it though.

Sherra
#4 of 12 Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the swiffer vac, it's cool. Now I've never had any of the fancy stuff so who knows, but man it's great, I swiffered everything into a pile like always, pushed the button and it sucked the pile up beautifully

It makes me want to try the wetjet.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 12 Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM

I was wondering how that new swiffer vac works. Does it get charged up or does it run on batteries? On the commercial it looks like there's no cords.

How much do the cost? and how good is the suction?

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#6 of 12 Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 PM

I have both the swiffer wetjet and the swiffer vac. I like them both, though I use my own solution in the wetjet and micro towels with both.

The wetjet uses batteries. The vac has to be plugged in to charge up, then you unplug to use it. It works great on my hardwood floors. It really has been easier to keep up with the crumbs since I've gotten it. I used to swiffer and then broom and dustpan = more time and effort. And my broom and dustpan always scattered things a bit.

HOWEVER, the vac came with a warning about lead and handling the cord. So I do not let my children help me with it, though they really want to. And I am careful to wash my hands afterwards, before picking up my toddler, for example.

I really think the warning should be on the outside of the box so that a decision can be made BEFORE purchase. I'm not sure if I can continue to use this product although I love the results. HTH

--LL
#7 of 12 Old 09-02-2005, 05:51 AM

Lisa Lucy..question for ya:

Quote:
I like them both, though I use my own solution in the wetjet and micro towels with both.
I wanted to ask how you do this? I love my wetjet it makes it so easy. I am curious what kind of solution you use, did you drill a hole into an empty cartridge and pour it in and plug it up? What micro towels did you get? I think I'm going to do this so I can keep the swiffer jet but do it more environment friendly.

Sherra
#8 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 03:12 PM

we have one by orange glow. It comes with washable microfiber pads. Use it wet or dry. simple. I like that. Oh and it is big.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 03:42 PM

I also have the swiffer vac and really like it. Do you think the lead issue is really a problem? Is it in all rechargeable cords or just this one? I would hate to have to give it up.

I'm also trying to decide whether to get the wetjet and the regular swiffer. I'm not a big fan of throwaway stuff, but I'm such a bad housekeeper that anything that will work is worth it to me. I really love the microfiber towels, but the ones I have are too thick to fit into the swiffer.

I have a great microfiber mop that I love from vileda. It's called the ultramax system and comes with a bucket that you can squeeze out the excess water (the mop actually bends in half). I got it at Walmart. Wondering if I will like the swiffer wetjet for the times when I don't feel like lugging out the whole bucket thing.
#10 of 12 Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 PM

About the Wet Jet...

I have one but rarely use it because I don't like throwing away the pad (doesn't it look just like an Always maxi?)

What kind of cloth pad are you using on it and how do you attach it? I can't figure out how to get anything to stick to the vecro stuff on the bottom.
#11 of 12 Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Ok, keep in mind I'm functioning without coffee right now...

My husband put a hole in the swiffer wet jet solution container that I fill with a funnel and stopper it up with a rubber stopper. I just do it without removing the container each time. I'm not sure what tool he used to do that. I'll have to ask and get back to you.

I'm still in experimental mode with it -- I'm currently just doing a vinegar/water solution but I'm thinking about trying Murphy's Oil Soap. I'm open to hearing other suggestions...

With the vac, the cheapo micro towels from walmart work well. Mine are pretty thin, maybe from being used in diapers for so long, and I poke them in well using a popsicle stick.

With the wet jet, I wrap the towel around the "foot" and secure. I've experimented with this a bit. I have some heavy duty clamps that work pretty well, better than safety pins, for example. I've tried folding one towel to make a pad and used another wrapped over it to hold it on. I've never tried to find something that would work with the velcro... it just doesn't seem very secure. I *would* like to improve the slide action, though I do think the micro is a better cleaner than their disposable pads.

What else... I have not researched the lead issue yet. I was very dismayed to find the warning inside the box. If I was pregnant or planning to become pregnant I would not use it, period. To me, not worth an unresearched risk. But (and I'm still a little sad to face this) I'm done. So I'm carefull to wash my hands, and I don't let my children handle it at all.

These tools have made it sooo much easier to keep up with the house. I'm trying to find ways to use them with an environmental conscience.

--LL
#12 of 12 Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 AM

Just wanted to say there is an easier way to reuse Wetjet containers. Using a knife or small saw (I just used a serrated steak knife), kind of score around the cap. The cap is essentially like a soda bottle cap without the breakaway safety/tampering feature, so cut where you think that should be. Work your way all the way through the plastic, and the tops screws on and off just perfectly. I've been using the same container for 2 years now!!! And I fill it with whatever I want for a fraction of the price they charge.

Also, I just put cheap washcloths folded in half on the bottom of the wetjet for cleaning pads. They work perfectly.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page