this may seem silly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but one thing i have done to simplify my laundry is just doing a load whenever i have enough of any clothes. I mean, I don't sort anymore. I wash everything on cold. This might seem crazy to some or duh to others. But when I let go of the whole sorting thing, my laundry life got a lot easier

Oh...except for diapers.
#2 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 10:12 AM

I could never wash everything on cold. And I could never wash everything together. I have to sort colors and wash the towels on hot. Anything else would be yuck to me.

But if it works for you go for it
#3 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm doing the same thing and it has really helped me keep up with the laundry. I wash towels and diapers separately but that's it.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 12:33 PM

I want to keep my colors purty! If the whole point is to simplify, taking the best care of the clothes I have now makes sense to me. I won't wash jeans with delicate shirts, ya know?

I am so glad it works for you though!
#5 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 12:40 PM

I kind of do the same thing.

I do towels, socks, undies and dipes in hot, but if I have a heap of different colored casual clothes that aren't super dirty, I just throw them all in warm wash / cold rinse.

If I know that the colors won't run, it doesn't seem like a big deal. The green t-shirts, red polo shirts, jeans, khakis, and dh's button-down shirts just go in together.

There are linen things and other delicates that I keep separate, but so much of our stuff is well-worn casual clothing, it doesn't make sense to sort each thing.
#6 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 PM

Back when it was just me and I didn't have many clothes, I did exactly what you do! Especially when washing at laundromats, like heck was I going to pay to do two separate half-loads!

But what we do now is this. We have a 3-bag sorter like this that fits nicely just behind the door of our bedroom. One bag holds darks, one holds lights, and the third holds linens/towels. We drop clothes into the right bag as we undress, and when a bag is nearly full it goes to the washing machine. It makes it so easy to stay on top of the laundry!

I use a separate basket tucked inside my closet for delicates, and a separate basket in DS' room--almost all of his clothes qualify as "darks" so I just dump his basket into the dark bag in our room every few days.
#7 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 12:52 PM

I freaking LOVE my three-sorter!
#8 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 PM

All of our clothes are so old that nothing ever runs.
We wash everything on warm with a cold rinse (my husband thinks we're still sorting, but I haven't sorted anything but diapers in years).
#9 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Sort? What's that? :LOL
I always just throw everything in together (except for red!) and wash on cold and it always comes out great.. no problems yet.
Diapers, obviously, get washed separately.. but that's it.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#10 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 PM

i wash everything together on cold too. i only buy clothes that can be washed together with the exception of a few sets of 'dressing up' clothes~those get washed seperately on the rare occasions that they get worn. hm, and dh washes his work clothes separately too. everything gets line dried, so i figure that the sun will kill germs. i also always do a vinegar rinse, so that'll kill bugs too.

heartbeat.gif

#11 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 05:05 PM

I only sort when I've let the laundry go too long for one load :LOL

I try to do a load a day - diapers, clothes, or towels. Sheets get washed on Saturday. It works SO well for us because if I let it build it, it becomes overwhelming.

I'm also working on folding/hanging clothes out of the dryer. It's HARD but I've managed to do it about half the time so far...

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#12 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

We don't own any "delicates " And as far as the germ factor, I don't really think of anything getting germy, ykwim? Are you referring to germs from places you sit outside of your house and such? Or like your underwear? I feel like unless someone poops in their pants there aren't any germs that are dangerous...just the dead skin, etc...
#13 of 30 Old 08-18-2005, 07:28 PM

We throw everything together as far as kids' clothes (actually the 2 girls' clothes go in together and the baby separately). For ours, we sort whites/darks. Bedding/towels go in to together in a separate load. Dipes are separate, obviously.

I say, whatever works! We have a sorter as well for dh and I.

If it keeps you from looking like this: then do it! Remember what Flylady says about perfectionism

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#14 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 AM

I can only wash on cold because there's no hot water to the basement where our washer and dryer are. A couple months ago our dryer broke so I've been doing most of our laundry at my mom's. The clothes don't get any cleaner there washed in warm water. We are past the point of diapers and baby puke, though.
#15 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 01:00 AM

I'm horrible! Laundry is not simple for me - (maybe after decluttering I will work on this, huh?)

I wash the diapers separately of course. And the towels are separate. Then I wash all of our colored clothes, then our whites, and finally our delicates. The baby has extremely sensitive skin so her clothes are a separate wash, too. Everything but diapers are on cold water wash/rinse.

You know I never thought that 2 adults and 2 kids could go through so much clothes!!!
#16 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 01:08 AM

My best friend is a laundry goddess, and here's how she does it.

Each person in the family tends to have clothes that are similar colors...and so each person has a hamper and she washes those clothes together. no sorting at the end when it's time to put them away.

The only exception is that she washes underwear with towels.

It's so embarrassing when I see one of her dd's in some hanna that we bought together like 10 years ago and her's looks new and mine has frayed and faded beyond belief and is 3 sizes smaller than it was. I can't even buy anything at target or walmart because it gets destroyed in just a washing or two.

Someday, I will get her to stand next to me when I do wash so she can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Sigh.
#17 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been doing laundry that way for years!! The only difference now is that I don't mix stuff from the hamper in the girls' room with other laundry- I do a load of just their stuff that they have to put away, and I put away the rest.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#18 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmama

Each person in the family tends to have clothes that are similar colors...and so each person has a hamper and she washes those clothes together. no sorting at the end when it's time to put them away.

It's so embarrassing when I see one of her dd's in some hanna that we bought together like 10 years ago and her's looks new and mine has frayed and faded beyond belief and is 3 sizes smaller than it was. I can't even buy anything at target or walmart because it gets destroyed in just a washing or two.

Someday, I will get her to stand next to me when I do wash so she can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Sigh.
I am a laundry QUEEN! It is where my anal tendencies shine through.........now if I could only PUT IT AWAY I would be fine!!!!
#19 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM

Funny how laundry can take over like this!

Some weeks I wash the colors/darks together, some weeks not. Depends on how much there is to wash. Thankfully DS's clothes can go in with ours so that saves a lot. I used to be anal about laundry. Somethings I've learned to let go of!
#20 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss
i also always do a vinegar rinse, so that'll kill bugs too.

would you please say more about the vinegar rise? thanks
#21 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 06:33 PM

okay, i've got a front loader, so i put vinegar into the compartment meant for the fabric softener. if you've got a top loader, you could probably use a downy ball (are those still around?) filled with vinegar instead.

heartbeat.gif

#22 of 30 Old 08-19-2005, 06:40 PM

The three-sorters never worked for me because my front loader can do enormous loads, and I didn't want to waste the energy of running it for a half-load. When my washing machine was in the basement, I used big cardboard moving cartons to sort (I sorted into lights, darks, and stuff-that-should-go-in-the-dryer). When one was full, I'd do that load.

Now, when I wash diapers, I fill the rest of the load with lights or darks from the hamper. There are no poopy diapers (hurray EC!) and I figure that if i didn't believe the washer was getting them clean, I'd be buying disposables, right? none of our clothes are too delicate to take that kind of treatment- and honestly, if they are, they should probably be culled from our lives.
#23 of 30 Old 08-20-2005, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

another thing i do alot is throw all dirty clothes directly into the washer...no hamper...and just wash when full...I love vinegar. I have not bought fabric softener for years.
#24 of 30 Old 08-20-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss
okay, i've got a front loader, so i put vinegar into the compartment meant for the fabric softener. if you've got a top loader, you could probably use a downy ball (are those still around?) filled with vinegar instead.

i actually have one of thse from my single days!!! i wonder if i could put it in my top loader's spot for fabric softner. . . . i will try it next time i do laundry! thank you so much1
#25 of 30 Old 08-24-2005, 06:41 PM

I will wash most things together, but I wash jeans and towels separately so they don't fray the lighter/softer things. And the diapers are pre-sorted and get a different wash treatment, so they go separately.

If there is too much for one load, I'll sort by color--darks and lights. But that's about it. I don't like to do small loads. I need to get my DS more socks so I don't have to wash so often!
#26 of 30 Old 08-24-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmama

Does she hang her clothes to dry, while you use the dryer? Dryers fry clothing and takes years out of their lifespan. If clothes are wrinkled you can put them in the dryer for 5 minutes (preferably on a cold air setting) then dry on a line. Only things I won't air dry are heavy things: towels, bedding, flannel, denim.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#27 of 30 Old 08-25-2005, 04:52 AM

I have enjoyed reading this thread and everyone's opinions on how they handle it. When I lived at home, my mom was really into separating..darks vs. colors vs. whites.

She can't believe it now but I don't even separate. I sorta do..but it depends. I put colors in with darks. I use cold water. Sometimes I will even put white in with darks depending on what needs to be washed. I don't notice them ANY duller. But then again, we don't have any whites that MUST stay white or else we'll die type of thing. I've been washing like this for atleast 10 yrs and I still have a lot of the same clothes.

As for the dryer, I put it on a low setting and I take out jeans and heavy drying items and air dry them. Saves a lot of money. Some items such as baby's bath towels I will dry because they are stiff if I air dry them..also my breast washable pads need to be dried in the dryer or they are stiffer and not as absorbent. I got some balls for my dryer (it says washer but I use for dryer in place of fabric softener and they work well):

http://www.wdrake.com/product_detail...OVMTC=advanced

Slowly but surely I'm using less and less disposable products. It's hard since some of them make life so much easier. But in the washer and dryer arena, it's easier to make substitutes.

Sherra
#28 of 30 Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 AM

I use laundry balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#29 of 30 Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM

I do lots of laundry all in one day. Diapers have their own wash routine and cycle.
#30 of 30 Old 10-16-2005, 04:23 AM

Sorry to bring back a thread that's a few months old, but this brought to mind a question.

Do you folks who sort things and wash at different heats actually notice a difference if something gets put into the wrong load? Not trying to criticize your choices, I'm just curious.

As for me:
I'm another, wash all on cold no sorting, and I honestly can't tell the difference between my clothes and new versions of the same clothes (well, except for things that are like 5 years old :LOL ). Also, none of my clothes pill when washed with towels, the few times the dryer's messed something up it's because I was lazy and didn't trim a loose thread and I've been able to fix it.

I do wash new-to-me things in a load of dark towels before using them since I had a few interesting dye-jobs when doing laundry when I was first on my own (dark green blanket, never washed before+white laundry= pretty green under pants)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page