College textbooks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-18-2005, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does everyone do with their college textbooks? We do not have enough bookshelf space (dh is in grad school now so we needed our bookcase for his new books) and we don't really have room for more bookcases. I'm a SAHM so I don't need to look up info like I used to. I keep thinking I'll use the info to help me teach dd science, etc (I was a microbiology major) when she's older, but she's only 3, and I am tired of keeping so much stuff around "just in case" I need it later. If I homeschool her when she's in highschool, I'm sure we'll buy curriculum anyway. Plus there's always the internet to look up info in the meantime if there's something I want to remember.

So, now that I MIGHT have myself talked into getting rid of all these books, what do I do with them? I think I'll call the library and see if they take donations of used books for book sales to raise $. Any other ideas? I'm not sure if the Goodwill is real thrilled getting boxes and boxes of textbooks. I graduated 8 years ago so I know no one is using these editions anymore, so selling them to college bookstores wouldn't be an option either.

#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2005, 02:34 PM

You probably won't get much for them, but you could always sell them on Half.com, eCampus.com, Amazon, etc. Barnes & Noble has an online site for selling text books too, I think.

If you don't want to take the trouble to do that, I would just donate them. By the time dd is old enough to use them there will be more updated and detailed information.
#3 of 7 Old 08-18-2005, 04:40 PM

I agree- Amazon.com is a good place to sell your textbooks. I got the suggestion from someone else on here and listed mine a few weeks ago.
It's nice because you set the price and either they sell or they don't. I've had great luck so far- made some extra money and cleared out my bookshelf!
I think now is a good time to list them, if you're planning on it, because students are starting to buy texts for the fall semester.

Good luck!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#4 of 7 Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I graduated from college 8 years ago, so I know that it's unlikely anyone would need my books (for example, the biology text I have has had several new editions since then). So, I called my local library and they take donations. They keep what they need for their collection, then sell the rest in an annual book sale to raise funds. Local teachers/school librarians come to the sale to get books. So, I'm very happy I'm clearing out my unused books, and helping out the local library at the same time!

Thanks for the responses.

Getting rid of stuff is so much fun!!!!!!!
#5 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 12:08 AM

Great!
Isn't is much easier to part with things when they are going somewhere where they can be used or appreciated?
I agree- it's so much fun getting rid of things I'm on a high lately- DH thinks I'm nuts, but it's great seeing all of this free space just opening up around me :LOL Our place doesn't seem so cramped anymore!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#6 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 AM

There are also programs to provide reading material to prisoners: http://www.thepamperedprisoner.com/book.htm for some programs that facilitate this.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#7 of 7 Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 AM

What about DHs who won't give up their textbooks because "one day I might need them" or "I've been meaning to read such-and-such"? I love my DH but we have a whole bookshelf of engineering books... We have been married a year - he has yet to crack open these books from college. Man! Are they heavy!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page