Amazing Clothing Organizing Tip! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay--this is really an obvious one, and ya'll are probably already on to it. But it took me 34+ years to figure it out, so on the off chance there are others like me out there. . .

Usually, at best I sort of hold clothes up in the air and fold them--and at worst I just stuff them into the drawer. But I just went through and folded all the clothes in my dresser drawers. Really neat folding, where you smooth things out on a hard flat surface--I even used a folding board (okay, a thin book) for the T-shirts and sweaters. This gave me *much* more space. Here I always thought folding non-wrinkling clothes neatly was for people who are so obsessive that they care even about how places that no one ever sees look--but it turns out there's a reason for it after all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Heh heh

Working retail when I was younger definitely helped me with closet organization.
#3 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Don't suppose you have any tips and/or strategies to share? I managed (despite my best efforts) to pick up any number of homemaking skills as I was growing up, but for some reason this one eluded me. Were it not for Martha Stewart demonstrations, I'd be completely lost.
#4 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Oh I was referencing your lay-flat folding! I have learned a LOOOOOOOOT from Martha. I was the biggest domestic Tard growing up.

NO one beat me: I love Martha! I even love Real Simple, despite that one stupid "timesaver."

Let's see, my closet: we have a tiny walk-in. Believe me that is not an oxymoron. But it has those white wire closet inserts so it has a lot of shelving. I flat-fold ALL the clothes I have and use those shelves for them. The smaller items like bras, panties and hosiery all go in little canvas "basketss" I got from IKEA. I have a cube shoe holder I got from target, and that's where my shoes go.

My dh's clothes hang on the other side of the closet from my shelves; his sweaters are flat folded on the shelf above thee hanging rod, and his shorts / t shirts / PJs are flat folded on the shelf below. (See I wasn't kidding! I flat fold EVERYTHING!)

We co sleep the baby, and his clothes are all in the room on a bookshelf. We fold those and use baskets to store his stuff. It looks liek a little boutique on my tidy days! Otherwise it ...well...it just doesn't.
#5 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Here is a super easy way to fold t shirts of all sizes. Its REALLY fast once you get the hang of it. It might take a dozen tries but once youve got it its like riding a bike.
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/tshirtfold.html
#6 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
Heh heh

Working retail when I was younger definitely helped me with closet organization.
me too

Although I absolutely refuse to iron unless I am going to an event that costs more than my haircuts:LOL Not really, but I hate ironing, I looooooooaaaaathe it, ughhhhhhhh.

I worked at JCrew awhile back, pre-baby days, and can fold a mean shirt, even mid air.. Now do I always do it? I am working on that whole organizing clothes thing at the momnet actually.I strive to have them as neatly folded and organized as the diapers!!!!lolololololol

Good for you!!!!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#7 of 23 Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Oh I was referencing your lay-flat folding! I have learned a LOOOOOOOOT from Martha. I was the biggest domestic Tard growing up.

NO one beat me: I love Martha! I even love Real Simple, despite that one stupid "timesaver."

Let's see, my closet: we have a tiny walk-in. Believe me that is not an oxymoron. But it has those white wire closet inserts so it has a lot of shelving. I flat-fold ALL the clothes I have and use those shelves for them. The smaller items like bras, panties and hosiery all go in little canvas "basketss" I got from IKEA. I have a cube shoe holder I got from target, and that's where my shoes go.

My dh's clothes hang on the other side of the closet from my shelves; his sweaters are flat folded on the shelf above thee hanging rod, and his shorts / t shirts / PJs are flat folded on the shelf below. (See I wasn't kidding! I flat fold EVERYTHING!)

We co sleep the baby, and his clothes are all in the room on a bookshelf. We fold those and use baskets to store his stuff. It looks liek a little boutique on my tidy days! Otherwise it ...well...it just doesn't.
I put my panties in an IKEA canvas basket too the green striped one?So pretty! Great minds think alike!We have the thing that hangs and hold the basket.I have only to baskets, but the hanging thing ceates more shelving in the large aneboda.I have a small side aneboda too, that I usually fold stuff in. Ds takes up most of the closets with his winter cloths collection(huge) and I fold his other stuff on the shelves above the hanging rod. he usually makes a big pile though, how do I stop this???!?!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#8 of 23 Old 08-24-2005, 10:14 PM

loved the shirt folding clip...will try...~!
#9 of 23 Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 PM

You know.... Funny enough, I worked retail for YEARS as a manager at Gap and in my parent's businesses. Sadly enough, my closet is a NIGHTMARE! You guys have inspired me though. I think I am going to start folding again (and yes, I can also fold in mid-air).
#10 of 23 Old 08-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyMom2in2
Here is a super easy way to fold t shirts of all sizes. Its REALLY fast once you get the hang of it. It might take a dozen tries but once youve got it its like riding a bike.
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/tshirtfold.html

Wow! So cool. I showed my husband and he likes it, too! Thanks for the link.
#11 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM

My boys have just folded all their t shirts and are so pleased with themselves.

All of a sudden folding is cool

I thought I would never see this day!!!!!!!
#12 of 23 Old 09-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Heh heh

this also has helped me. I can fold tees, sweaters, etc and line them all perfectly stacked etc. Its still kills my dh how I do this so swiftly etc. I guess working retail and folding about 100 plus shirts etc a night on shift can do that to ya! :LOL

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#13 of 23 Old 09-13-2005, 12:57 AM

Ok, the tshirt thing has gotten me so excited to fold laundry!!! Cool!!
Now, can someone tell me how to fold a fitted sheet? I know Martha can do it... I need a link!
#14 of 23 Old 09-21-2005, 06:01 AM

I spent hours one day trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...SL&site=living
with absolutely no success, I'm still basically wadding my fitted sheets up- any advice would be greatly appreciated
#15 of 23 Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 AM

My two older boys just shove their clothes back into their drawers - even dirtly ones! eeekkk! They are just being lazy, though.. I go through their drawers with them, and we fold each shirt, etc... put dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket, etc... It helps me organize their stuff, but will they ever do it on their own?????

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#16 of 23 Old 09-21-2005, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Urmmm. . . dh, who really is very, very dear, not only has not adopted my new clothes folding mania, but he tends to mess up what has been folded. His T-shirt drawer breaks my heart. . . .
#17 of 23 Old 09-29-2005, 12:58 AM

I got some of these drawer basket thingys from IKEA. They have even helped ds keep his socks, underwear and jammies all neat in one drawer.
#18 of 23 Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaleda
I'm still basically wadding my fitted sheets up- any advice would be greatly appreciated
I've found that the key is to get all the elasticized corners together. So fold the sheet in quarters as you would any sheet, but line up all the sheet's corners by pulling them over one of your hands. With all the super-elasticized corners neatly together, it makes it easier to make it resemble a rectangle when you fold it smaller.
#19 of 23 Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 PM

Can someone explain the t-shirt clip to me? I can't get the fold.
#20 of 23 Old 10-02-2005, 10:02 AM

Here goes.....

You lay the shirt down with the neck to your left and the hem to your right.

With your left hand pinch the shoulder about halfway between the neck and the sleeve.

With your right hand pinch both layers of the shirt around halfway down - in line with your left hand.

Now lift up the shoulder with your left hand and head for the hem crossing your hands so that your right hand is hidden under fabric.

When you get to the hem, add the edge of the hem to the fabric you already have in that hand. Hold it tight.

Now with your hidden right hand still holding fabric, pull it out from under the fabric and hold your hands up in fromt of you like hanging washing.

You will have the collar to your left and one sleeve will have disappeared.

I can't really explain the last bit; you just lay it down realy and the other sleeve ends up under the front.

HTH
#21 of 23 Old 10-02-2005, 07:23 PM

It works!!! Or at least, works well enough that I can practice!!!!!!

Thank you!
#22 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't access the t-shirt folding film either, but I came across an illustrated version (scroll towards the bottom, though I also enjoyed the little article): http://www.readymademag.com/feature_14_foldem.php .
#23 of 23 Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Thanks for inspiring me to reorganise our closets.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page