How many outfits or pieces per child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids have a lot of clothes thus, I don't have to do laundry often but, when I do it's a mountainous mess. Does less clothes per child really equal cleaner and more organized? ...or am I fooling myself by eliminating one problem but, adding another? As in doing laundry more often and having worn out clothes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Generally I like the less clothing/more laundry approach, but I guess it depends on how inconvenient and unpleasant you find laundry. My washer and dryer are centrally located and I don't mind laundry too much. Until now my 2-year-old dd had tons of hand me downs from friends. Very generous, but I just hated having so many clothes. I couldn't even keep track of what was in her closet. So now that the hand-me-downs have slowed to a trickle, I have bought her a much smaller fall/winter wardrobe. I bought her good quality clothes, although many of them were used, and if they wear out toward the end of the season I will be happy- with clothing in good condition, I always feel like I need to do something productive with it (ebay, consignment store, etc.) If she wears things to threads then I won't have to deal with that time-sucking problem! My 6-year-old ds gets by with much less clothing- so far I haven't bought him anything new for fall/winter (although it will be shorts weather here for at least another month or two).
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the less clothes/more laundry boat. My biggest issue would be having stained clothes sit around. I don't really have an issue with clothes wearing out. My dd outgrows almost all of her things before she wears them out. Honestly, I either get ride of stuff due to it being too small or horrible stained. Most of dd stuff is from thrift store or from friends where dd is the 3rd+ child to wear them. We do lots of hiking and playground play so we're not extremely gentle. dd doesn't have very "fancy" stuff. Lots of denim.
My only secret is in jumpers (sleeveless dresses). dd can wear it alone, with a tank-top, short sleeve, long sleeve, or turtleneck for year round wear.
dd spent 1.5yrs wearing the same outfit. I highly recommend more than one outfit.
Dh called to meet for lunch. Be back with more later.
OK back. went to new restaurant, it wasn't that great, but it was nice to see Dh. dd just started school
anyways.. what works best for dd and even for my clothes, is to only buy when you really feel like you need something else. I've never had much luck buying in advance.
One example is dd only had 3 pairs of panties (1 pack) during a time in her life where she just couldn't stand wearing panties, and refused to wear anything but one pair of overalls. All of a sudden she started wearing other things. I never bought more panties as she never ran out. We recently went on a trip for 7 days. I then bought more panties. The thrift stores are nice enough here that I don't feel too worried about waiting till the last minute.
I also have a running list of upcoming needs that I know my family will need and I have time to really search. Example dd's winter coat. No way around not needing a winter coat so when the thrift store had one on sale $2 instead of $4 I bought it.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

User Tag List