AHH What have I done this is too much work! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-29-2005, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay girls I am doing it I am.
Finally getting rid of the immoral excess of my hoarding life.
Nothing is being spared - yep nothing.

But I am finding its becoming an obsession getting rid of it organizing it..
and dh well - he works during the week, he's tired at night I have boxes everywhere! I did hire a mother's helper and am going to see about an aupair as I really not only need to get my house in order but also to organize my life properly. So I figure the money it might cost will help me get on track and maybe the crap will pay for the au pair...lol but I find myself giving a lot away.

The funny thing is I know it was more work buying this stuff and bringing it home then moving it from place to place!

I posted a bunch on TP and some on craigs list. But then i got to set up appointments...for craigs... more time. And the summer is leaving me!

Help how do I manage the declutter without it becomming my new obsession?

8 might be enough
#2 of 11 Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 AM

I wish I had the answer...I swear it gets to me that I take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back! So much junk so little time.
#3 of 11 Old 08-29-2005, 03:28 PM

Could you set yourself a deadline? For example, I had a bunch of stuff to declutter but I usually like to try to sell some stuff to the kids consignment shop, ebay, my moms' group etc. Like you said, that ends up being lots of work. So I set myself a deadline of the end of August, and if it isn't sold it's getting donated to the church rummage sale. I have already taken a couple loads up there. I'm granting myself an extension to deal with a few specific items because I had a health scare and much of this month has been consumed with unexpected doctors' visits, lab tests, etc. But overall I'm finding this deadline thing works. I figure I am willing to devote only so much more of my time to these things, then I will just have to take the plunge and get rid of it. Good luck!
#4 of 11 Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 PM

I do the deadline thing, too... sort of mini-goals to have completed certain things each day. But I think it's important to take breaks or do whatever you need to do so that you don't get overwhelmed.

Today wasn't productive for me-
Ava (my 9 month old) wanted to be in my arms all day long- she had an absolute fit when I had to set her down so I could pee quickly So, needless to say, I didn't make any progress in decluttering today.
I don't understand how people have happy children AND a clean house- ?! I just can't figure it out.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#5 of 11 Old 08-30-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans
I don't understand how people have happy children AND a clean house- ?! I just can't figure it out.
Me neither- who are these people??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 11 Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans
I didn't make any progress in decluttering today.
No lie! I want a mei tai soooooooooooooooo bad. He loves his Bjorn but I don't love beating him into things while I set up house.

I WANT A MEI TAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can DO THIS Mommies!
#7 of 11 Old 08-30-2005, 02:41 PM

I like the idea of picking certain areas and completely finishing with an area before you move on to another area. For example, you could choose the kitchen and get that completely done before you even think about other parts of the house. Or, instead of rooms, you could try similar items. Start with toys and get them completely taken care of and then move to books, etc.

Of course, this is all hypothetical since my house is still a disaster despite my decluttering efforts! :LOL
#8 of 11 Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
I did hire a mother's helper and am going to see about an aupair as I really not only need to get my house in order but also to organize my life properly. So I figure the money it might cost will help me get on track and maybe the crap will pay for the au pair...lol but I find myself giving a lot away.
Rather than hiring someone to watch the kids, why not someone to help you organize? There are professional organizers all over the country...this is one that I know of...http://www.workingspaceunltd.com/

Sometimes it helps to have an unbiased, third-party opinion of what to keep/sell/donate and who can help you work through the emotional issues associated with your stuff.
#9 of 11 Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yep my guy is almost 9 months its so taxing as they want to be held.

I am just loosing it - lost my photobucket I was using to 'show' my stuff.
Sink is leaking, I am just wanting to cry there are boxes everywhere..

Deadline yep I did September 1 nd its about to pass.
Its the kids that get in my way I just want it all done.
I think I will ask dh to take a week off work (He has many comming to him)
this is important we get our life organized...it has to be a priority.

alison

8 might be enough
#10 of 11 Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 PM

I know how you feel.... I was about to write about my decluttering obsession in my livejournal, but will suss it out here!
My mom and I are having a yard sale in 2 weeks. It was supposed ot be this saturday but we had to push it back b/c there is no way my mom will be ready. She has enough stuff hoarded ( and i DO mean hoarded... parts of her house look like she has some kind of mental illness) to fill a tractor trailer. She has been very impressed with my tossing skills. She says i'm just like that show Clean Sweep.
As for me, I have a 2 month old, a fractured tailbone, and a tired DH. The fewtimes i have to get my crap together is precious indeed.
Here's to you and your efforts..... know that i feel for you.....

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
#11 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
why not someone to help you organize? There are professional organizers all over the country...this is one that I know of...http://www.workingspaceunltd.com/
well I did! She costs 15 an hour - what a deal! And she's comming at the end of the month wether I am ready for her or not!

I want to do the bulk of chucking etc, so she can really clean up then have her help organize my life/lifestyle so that we don't get into this mess.

But drum roll please?
DS's clothing is now down to one drawer!
Gave a buch away on FFS to mamas.

Quote:
Sometimes it helps to have an unbiased, third-party opinion of what to keep/sell/donate and who can help you work through the emotional issues associated with your stuff.
I've been getting honest with myself and the last few days have been fabric purge! Wow how liberating to chuck (I mean donate those years of neglectd fabrics!

And listing my books on amazon.com for sale!

And I set myself deadlines like I am diaper purging and what I don't sell that I am not using I have promised myself to donate...well okay most of it!

But it really helps to find people who actually can use the stuff, it will save them money, time etc. People thank me for it but really they are doing me the biggest favour in my clutter life makeover.

Oh and my toiletries - one small small box.

now I am on to dh to go through his tools and donate the spares to habitat for humanity. Like who needs 10 robertsons of the same size?

Its become so catchy I think dh is going to start putting stickers on stuff that 'stays' the only pang of regret I had is I thought last week I was pregnant....and thought did i give away too many baby things - of course I didn't...but over all I am feeling PUMPED!

Wheeh but it is a full time job!

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page