Guess who's coming to *my* house Tuesday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A professional organizer! She's just starting her biz but I hear she's good and she's cheap! dd is a little tornado and I cant keep up with cleaning her messes. I cant even take a 15 min shower without ending up with a couple hours of housework. Its very frustrating! So, I did some hunting and found a bunch of plain white modular cabinet style shelves for cheap and got them, I can afford the organizer for 1 day which is really all you need when you don't have dd around to undo what you just did. I'm installing magnetic locks on everything and dd will be forced to clean up her mess before I will get her something else to do. Some may think it sounds mean but I've lived in a disaster area for 3 years because I have no help and a child who causes nothing but chaos. I'm not a neat freak by any means but I would like to be able to open my front door without being horrified that the person will see my house.

Anyway, I'm excited my house is finally going to get in order!

Seriously?
#2 of 33 Old 09-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so jelouse. you have to take before and after pictures!!!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 33 Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

: You mean let people see how bad this place is?? no way!

Seriously?
#4 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so jealous, too!!
How did you find her? I've been toying with the idea, but don't think DH would go for it..
Do they help you clean or just kind of point out what you should do in certain areas? I'm clueless about this! :

Let us know how it goes! I would LOVE to see before/after photos, too :LOL

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#5 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 10:47 AM

That will be great! I wish I were more organized. YOu will have to share her secrets (and pics!!)
#6 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans
I'm so jealous, too!!
How did you find her? I've been toying with the idea, but don't think DH would go for it..
Do they help you clean or just kind of point out what you should do in certain areas? I'm clueless about this! :

Let us know how it goes! I would LOVE to see before/after photos, too :LOL

A newspaper did a story on her and I ended up calling the reporter to get her phone number because I couldn't find a listing any where. She's charging $20 an hour which is actually a bit cheaper then some of the maids around here. I set aside $100 and what ever she gets done in 5 hours I'll be happy with. I can get a ton done in that time if dd is not home bugging me and I'm slow at cleaning. I live in a small 550 sq ft 1 bedroom apt that I share with dd. My priority is the living room (aka my bedroom since I gave dd the bedroom) and the kitchen and pantry. I think its doable. I don't mind spending an hour a day cleaning but right now its hopeless because of dd. I can spending several hours cleaning and it makes no difference because she goes behind me and undoes everything : Hopefully things will seriously improve with everything being locked up. Today I will be putting the cabinets together and yes she is the one the does the work. I'll take pic's after I at least put away the laundry and make the bed

Seriously?
#7 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 03:57 PM

You mean your 5 yo dd still creates tornadoes behind her?! I thought I was nearing the end of that phase...mine are 18 months and 3 1/2 yo. Oh jeepers! I will look 20 years older before this is over :LOL

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#8 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

We were just getting started at that age!

Seriously?
#9 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Don't tell me that

#10 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 04:33 PM

You are having an organizer come
#11 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

lol, sorry but its true. The older she has gotten the more distructive she has gotten and the lazier she's gotten : At one point she acted like the floor was a trash can! She would just throw wrappers on the floor and stuff. It took drastic measures to stop that crap. Since she throught the floor was a trash can I decided that since we take out trash for the trash man to pick up then EVERYTHING she left on the floor including toys was meant to be trash and acted accordingly. This was after weeks of trying to get her to stop. The floor was spotless every night for weeks after that Now its not so effective so now i'm just locking everything up but first we gotta get it cleaned up! I swear my back is going to kill me tomorrow from putting these cabinets together!

I got 6 of these stackable cabinets from Target on sale for $25 each

Then I got this huge thing for storing larger items like my flour tins she loves to use to climb on to get to high places.

Seriously?
#12 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Man~ Putting these shelves together is hard work! I've got 5 more to go still and i'm already hurting! But i'm not willing to pay someone $20hr to do it for me. Want to save that money for cleaning!

Seriously?
#13 of 33 Old 09-05-2005, 10:55 PM

I'm jealous of your organizing woman. Keep us posted as to whether it was worth it or not

#14 of 33 Old 09-06-2005, 04:49 PM

Just bumping this in hopes of hearing the gory details. :LOL
#15 of 33 Old 09-06-2005, 05:13 PM

Yes, I am interested as well! I had soem clients who used an organizer and it really changed their (VERY MESSY) lives!
#16 of 33 Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Bump
#17 of 33 Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

She just left, she was here for 10 hours, $200 total and worth every penny! We did the entire house! We litterally filled an entire dumpster to overflowing! : I still have work to do but OMG, this I can handle. I'll post pic's this weekend once I finish

I did have a surprising moment, my pantry is spread out over the entire house and we found 6 jars of Mayo! (unopened of course) :LOL I found I had no idea what I really had in there :

Seriously?
#18 of 33 Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

oh god... someone call a Dr! I hurt! I'm really gonna be in pain tomorrow! I haven't worked this hard in years! 10 hours of intense cleaning and hauling up and down 2 flights of stairs... OWIE!!!!!!!!! I'm already feeling stiff and sore!

Seriously?
#19 of 33 Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 AM

:LOL

This is an exciting thread.

So tell us more details, when you can sit of course!

What did you find most helpful?

What suprised you more than anything other than mayo? /laugh

Sherra
#20 of 33 Old 09-07-2005, 05:41 PM

I wanna know what was in that dumpster?? Do I need to get your address?? Oh grief, no wonder my house is a disaster :LOL

#21 of 33 Old 09-07-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama
I wanna know what was in that dumpster?? Do I need to get your address?? Oh grief, no wonder my house is a disaster :LOL

The biggest thing was the kitchen table. We went to move it and it broke and I don't mean a small break. Oh well, I wanted to get rid of it anyway since it just seemed to collect stuff and we never ate at it. The rest of it was old pantry stuff, tons of papers, small toys, ect. I'm getting rid of a 50 Gal fish tank next but we gotta drain it first.

Seriously?
#22 of 33 Old 09-08-2005, 11:26 PM

That sounds like a very long day!

I can't believe you were able to get your whole place done in a day! Wow! Maybe I should find a professional organizer and just get this done and over with

Do you even recognize your place? It must be so relaxing to come home to a clean, organized place

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#23 of 33 Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

It is nice to come home to a clean house and my stress level is way down as a result so i'm a much better mommy The house isn't totally clean yet, we ran out of time so I still need to go through a couple of bins but most of it will be shreded and my mom has the shredder and I need to build the last cabinet but I need help with that then put that stuff in there. I would like to have her come back for 1-2 more hours to do the kitchen and may do that and offer to pay for her gas as incentive as its 90 miles around trip and I cant afford to pay drive time.

Don't count on 1 day, we worked our butts off for 10 hours stright with only a 30 min lunch break and we were both working as fast as possible and I didn't have dd here to slow us down. My place is also only 1 bedroom and about 550sq ft if I remember right so we were able to get it done pretty fast. I have to say though, my only regret is that I didn't find and hire her sooner! My next goal is to hire a housekeeper for 1 hr a week to help me keep up on things that I tend to drag on like putting away laundry, dusting or cleaning the tub. Question is, can I find one thats willing to work for $10hr AND speaks fluent english. I figure a lower stress level is worth $40 mo I know the maids tend to charge at least $25 hour but there also doing deep cleaning and i'll be happy if they scrub the shower 1x month. I don't mind cleaning the tub but I HATE cleaning the shower portion of it.

Seriously?
#24 of 33 Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 PM

WOW!! You must really be feeling good about having a nice organized house! Minus your hurting body of course :LOL

Sounds wonderful though scary. How do you and the organizer decied what to pitch?
#25 of 33 Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Basically if it wasn't something I really really needed we trashed it. It wasn't that hard.

Seriously?
#26 of 33 Old 09-09-2005, 10:38 PM

Okay, I just gotta ask...your 5 yo has her own cell phone?!

#27 of 33 Old 09-13-2005, 02:07 AM

Where do you live and what is her number?? LOL I'm serious... if you're in Southern California... I'm all ears!!! Although, if your 550 sf house took 10 hours, it scares me to think what my house would take... yikes!

Lo
#28 of 33 Old 09-13-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolov
Although, if your 550 sf house took 10 hours, it scares me to think what my house would take... yikes!
Our house is about the same size as that and it took me all day (10+ hours) just to clean out my daughter's bedroom. We went through every single bin of toys and sorted everything--every little piece of jewelry, every paper, etc. Then I spent additional time painting and moving the furniture around.

It really does take a long time to organize!
#29 of 33 Old 09-13-2005, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolov
Where do you live and what is her number?? LOL I'm serious... if you're in Southern California... I'm all ears!!! Although, if your 550 sf house took 10 hours, it scares me to think what my house would take... yikes!

Lo
She's out of Bakersfield which is about 5 hours from you. Check out this site http://www.napo.net and you might find someone a little closer

Seriously?
#30 of 33 Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 AM

LOL - I figured based on your subject line that it was either going to be Martha Stewart or the Queen of England.

Hope you had a great experience!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page