small house/big family what to keep? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-05-2005, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this question has been asked before but since we've moved into our townhome (with 5 kids), I've been on a quest to simplify......I've decided to keep only one set of bedding per bed, cut down on clothes, and get rid of just extra STUFF.......My question is.....does anyone else have tips on living in a small space with a lot of kids?? Anyone simplify out of necessity? Will my kids have serious psychological issues later in life from living a more "simple" life? IE: less toys. Thanks mamas.....you are awesome!!!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#2 of 5 Old 09-05-2005, 08:50 PM

:

I need the exact same questions answered. We are a family of 4 (5 part-time when dss is here) and our townhouse is hugely CLUTTERED! We have discussed moving but honestly probably can't afford to (especially in this unstable economy).
#3 of 5 Old 09-06-2005, 10:11 AM

If you have a lot of "family" toys that they all can use, they'll all have access to more than if they had lots of individually-owned toys-
do you have space for outdoor toys?
#4 of 5 Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 PM

If I were in your position, I think I would focus on open-ended toys that can be used by kids of many different ages. Like Legos- my 6 y.o. and 2 y.o. can both play with them, each at a very different level. Art supplies, dress up clothes, pretend play props, etc. Maybe let each child have a small container of their "own" toys then everything else is communal. I don't think you are depriving your children. I think they will regard their toys as more special if they have fewer of them, plus they will have a lot of learning experiences and memories from playing and sharing with their siblings. Also, your kids will become more resourceful- I don't usually bring toys with us when we travel and the kids always find a way to play with what's available. If you are able to have some special family activities or traditions, it might help your kids overcome feelings of jealousy about "things" that they may have at times. In other words, you will be able to say, for example, "Yes, your friend has all those toys, but he doesn't go ice skating with his family every weekend- some families like to OWN things but our family likes to DO things".
#5 of 5 Old 09-07-2005, 08:04 PM

Hey Judy

I just read a different thread that mentioned giving each child a rubbermaid bin for the toys they want to keep (first getting rid of the junk/broken stuff). Maybe give them a deadline (well, at least the older ones ... the babes no so much! :LOL), and then they need to have their box finallized. And then on the shelves in the LR keep the more group stuff - play silks, dress up, art supplies ... they can keep their personal bin in their rooms, with their names on them ... it's an idea.

PS: When you do figure it out, can you let me in on the secret ... the boys' stuff is overwhelming me!!!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page