Would you just throw most everything away? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or give it away or sell it or take to thrist store? (depending on your style). I wouldn't throw stuff away actually but we are going to be faced with severe downsizing next spring.

We're moving from a house that is 1,500 sq feet to something probably around 500 with a sleeping loft. We're going to be sure to build good storage but really I don't think we'll be able to handle ALL the dress-up and toys (and we don't even have that many) and other weird crap that we have.

We don't have tons of stuff but for 4 people in 500 sq ft. we have way too much.

Everytime I declutter I get rid of about an entire van-load of stuff or at least a few boxes of outgrown clothes and random gifts we've been given. Still, there is stuff everywhere and I'm afraid I'll be damaging my kids to get rid of so much of their stuff.
I have noticed that they play so much better with things like sticks and pinecones making neat things and getting imaginative, yet I still cringe at the idea of them having no toys.

What is the healthy balance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What choice do you really have but to get rid of a bunch of stuff?

I would definietly get them involved. perhaps give them each a rubbermaid bin and let them fill it up. give them as much time as they need to decide and redecide. maybe weed out anythingbroken or unplayed with first so thay ar echoosing from the best.

Also on my recent decluttering mission we puulled some toys out as outside toys rather than get rid of them. they have one small box for outside toys. they are mostly gettiong ruined outside in the sandbox but they are also having a blast with what would have been given away and most likely thrown away.

good luck

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 9 Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
What choice do you really have but to get rid of a bunch of stuff?

I would definietly get them involved. perhaps give them each a rubbermaid bin and let them fill it up. give them as much time as they need to decide and redecide. maybe weed out anythingbroken or unplayed with first so thay ar echoosing from the best.

Also on my recent decluttering mission we puulled some toys out as outside toys rather than get rid of them. they have one small box for outside toys. they are mostly gettiong ruined outside in the sandbox but they are also having a blast with what would have been given away and most likely thrown away.

good luck
This is a great idea! I like the thought of each child having one of those blue rubbermaid bins, filling it with cherished toys (and given time to repack .

For the stuff you are getting rid of ... if it's not broken or missing pieces, I'd give it to a local shelter or goodwill type place. And then throw away the junk.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#4 of 9 Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 PM

We will definitely donate. round one was mostly crap. round two went on the rummage (where all my friends and I ended up bring home as much stuff as we dropped off :LOL). we are having another rummage sale soon though. the rest will be donated. lots of happy meal toys etc though that are left.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 9 Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 AM

Just and FYI, Salvation Army is not accepting toys anymore. So, you will probably want to donate them somewhere else or they might get thrown away.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#6 of 9 Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 PM

thats a drag. we got some of our best toys at SA. we usualy donate to St. Vinnies though. I have found them to be the most community helping, reasonably priced thirift store set up.

#7 of 9 Old 09-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Well, I guess I can kind of understand. Apparently they were getting a lot of junk and had to deal with going through it and getting rid of it. It is a bummer though. Especially since our Goodwill closed and the best children's consignment shop in town also closed.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#8 of 9 Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am almost to the purging (and tossing it all out) point. Trips out and about don't happen often and when I am ready to purge ... I'm ready to purge. Most of the stuff we'd get rid of would be on the low end of functionality anyway.

Our house feels like a clutter disaster and with another little one on the way and just two bedrooms upstairs, there are plenty of toys (and clothes) that need to go.

I have a problem sorting out stuff to give away.. then it never makes it to the lone thrift store in town, and then ends up sitting in a bag that clutters our home even more!

Of course, there are certain items that I will certainly donate and/or try to sell because they are in excellent condition but currently not in use.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#9 of 9 Old 09-10-2005, 06:04 PM

Don't worry about getting rid of most of their toys. Kids play much better with just a few creative toys than a roomful. I spent years babysitting kids and the happy ones had a couple toys and lots of time outside to play. The horrid kids had rooms full of toys, TV's, stuff, and all they did was cry and whine (mostly because the parents were hoping the toys would take over their job, sigh.)

I would actually give each child 2 small totes: one for toys to keep in their room right now, and one to keep in the storage shed for a rainy day. Rotating toys really helps, even if it is just a small amount.

ALso, Christmas is coming . . . and so to will the toys. Then the birthdays, etc.

Laura Ingalls had one doll and she was fine. I had one box of toys, and I survived. Your kids will too.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page