I need some help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
bu's mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know all the rules...if you don't love it or use it then toss it, but I'm having a hard time reconciling this with not throwing away something that is still useful or that someone gave to me thoughtfully.

How do you do this? For example, my sil gave dd a plaque (is it the same spelling as the stuff on your teeth, well nevermind) that has an Irish prayer on it. My husband is Irish but we're not religous & don't pray so it's been sitting in the bubble wrap in a dresser drawer. I started putting things in a box for the attic, but I could have 50 boxes like that. How do I just throw it in the trash? I guess I could do some stuff on ebay, but I'm at a point where I just want to be rid of it, the monetary aspect doesn't really matter. Or when dd was born one of my husband's students gave dd his favorite book from when he was little. Very nice & touching, but it is something I would never read to her.

So mamas, how did you do it?
bu's mama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2005, 08:20 PM
 
lilyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 17,896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
donate it. I have sent off books with inscriptions in them. I have sent off suveniers we bought ourselves :LOL but then I am ruthless and heartless when it comes to clutter . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

lilyka is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
 
ollineeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Doing better than I deserve..
Posts: 5,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree- donate it.

Is there a freecycle in your area? I'm sure you could freecycle the Irish poem plaque, for example. Then you would be able to find someone who really wants it and you're free of the guilt associated with tossing it.
A bonus- you feel good about it, too
People love getting free crap.. er, I mean.. stuff. :LOL

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
ollineeba is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 PM
 
oneotamama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage sales are great for making a lot of money, but they take a lot of work. I agree--donate it. You can use it for a tax deduction too!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
oneotamama is offline  
Old 09-10-2005, 03:30 AM
 
Shiloh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: listening to kriping churckets
Posts: 6,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
know all the rules...if you don't love it or use it then toss it, but I'm having a hard time reconciling this with not throwing away something that is still useful or that someone gave to me thoughtfully.
lol well if it was useful you'd be using it!
Okay find a place to give the 'useful' things to, it will make you feel better.

Second take pictures of nice things people gave you.

Quote:
How do you do this? For example, my sil gave dd a plaque (is it the same spelling as the stuff on your teeth, well nevermind) that has an Irish prayer on it.
=take picture put in scrapbook.

Quote:
My husband is Irish but we're not religous & don't pray so it's been sitting in the bubble wrap in a dresser drawer. I started putting things in a box for the attic, but I could have 50 boxes like that. How do I just throw it in the trash?
=garage sale, donate it, put it up on a local for sale cheap board (craigslist etc)

I guess I could do some stuff on ebay, but I'm at a point where I just want to be rid of it

go with the feeling you won't even remeber the stuff you chucked when you have so much more room for the stuff you like.

Alison

So mamas, how did you do it?

8 might be enough
Shiloh is offline  
Old 09-15-2005, 03:16 PM
 
Luvmyboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the library
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
donate it. I have sent off books with inscriptions in them. I have sent off suveniers we bought ourselves :LOL but then I am ruthless and heartless when it comes to clutter . . .
We always buy books with inscriptions in the covers from thrift stores and such. My son makes me read him the inscriptions and we talk about them. We have read some really funny ones
Luvmyboyz is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off