I need some help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know all the rules...if you don't love it or use it then toss it, but I'm having a hard time reconciling this with not throwing away something that is still useful or that someone gave to me thoughtfully.

How do you do this? For example, my sil gave dd a plaque (is it the same spelling as the stuff on your teeth, well nevermind) that has an Irish prayer on it. My husband is Irish but we're not religous & don't pray so it's been sitting in the bubble wrap in a dresser drawer. I started putting things in a box for the attic, but I could have 50 boxes like that. How do I just throw it in the trash? I guess I could do some stuff on ebay, but I'm at a point where I just want to be rid of it, the monetary aspect doesn't really matter. Or when dd was born one of my husband's students gave dd his favorite book from when he was little. Very nice & touching, but it is something I would never read to her.

So mamas, how did you do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
donate it. I have sent off books with inscriptions in them. I have sent off suveniers we bought ourselves :LOL but then I am ruthless and heartless when it comes to clutter . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM

I agree- donate it.

Is there a freecycle in your area? I'm sure you could freecycle the Irish poem plaque, for example. Then you would be able to find someone who really wants it and you're free of the guilt associated with tossing it.
A bonus- you feel good about it, too
People love getting free crap.. er, I mean.. stuff. :LOL

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 PM

Garage sales are great for making a lot of money, but they take a lot of work. I agree--donate it. You can use it for a tax deduction too!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:30 AM

Quote:
know all the rules...if you don't love it or use it then toss it, but I'm having a hard time reconciling this with not throwing away something that is still useful or that someone gave to me thoughtfully.
lol well if it was useful you'd be using it!
Okay find a place to give the 'useful' things to, it will make you feel better.

Second take pictures of nice things people gave you.

Quote:
How do you do this? For example, my sil gave dd a plaque (is it the same spelling as the stuff on your teeth, well nevermind) that has an Irish prayer on it.
=take picture put in scrapbook.

Quote:
My husband is Irish but we're not religous & don't pray so it's been sitting in the bubble wrap in a dresser drawer. I started putting things in a box for the attic, but I could have 50 boxes like that. How do I just throw it in the trash?
=garage sale, donate it, put it up on a local for sale cheap board (craigslist etc)

I guess I could do some stuff on ebay, but I'm at a point where I just want to be rid of it

go with the feeling you won't even remeber the stuff you chucked when you have so much more room for the stuff you like.

Alison

So mamas, how did you do it?

8 might be enough
Old 09-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
donate it. I have sent off books with inscriptions in them. I have sent off suveniers we bought ourselves :LOL but then I am ruthless and heartless when it comes to clutter . . .
We always buy books with inscriptions in the covers from thrift stores and such. My son makes me read him the inscriptions and we talk about them. We have read some really funny ones

User Tag List