How many pairs of pants and shirts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does a 3 year old really need? We get hand me downs and I know we have just way too many. But I need a realistic number to encourage myself to cut down!

PS: How about a 16 month old? :LOL
#2 of 8 Old 09-13-2005, 04:32 AM

Well I'm the opposite - we don't generally get hand me downs so I try and get away with buying minimal. Half dozen is pretty minimum I find since I don't have a clothes dryer and we've just come out of winter - sometimes I've only had 4 outfits to circulate and that was tough! I only buy 6 outfits for my 5mth old dd for each size at the moment as well.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#3 of 8 Old 09-13-2005, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

So I bet I could easily get by with:

6 pairs of leggings with interchangeable shirts
2 or 3 sets of sweatpants/sweatshirts
a few tshirts for layering
I have a par of fleece pajamas I can put on her during the day once it gets cold out... we do that to keep warm and save money on heat.
3 or 4 pairs of pj's for nighttime
Socks and underwear of course.
A few random dressy type outfits in the closet
One pair of jeans

Seriously, how could I need more than this? Though I would be embarrassed to go count them right now... at least I didn't buy them all, though!
#4 of 8 Old 09-13-2005, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you have the space, I keep three weeks worth of clothes for each person in the house. That way when sickness or vacation mess up the laundry schedule, everyone still has clothes.
#5 of 8 Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom
If you have the space, I keep three weeks worth of clothes for each person in the house. That way when sickness or vacation mess up the laundry schedule, everyone still has clothes.
I keep about 2 weeks worth for me and about 2.5-3ish for the kids they get more messy than I do. Dh has way more than this and won't cut down he has a tshirt fetish :LOL. I think 2-3 weeks is plenty even with sickness and laundry mishaps.
#6 of 8 Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 PM

I used to keep 2-3 weeks worth then I gave it all away.
I now am on target for 5 pairs of everyday pants (suitable for play or small errands) and 2-4 pants/overalls/cords non jeans for grandmas', restaurant etc.

I think 5 play and 5 nice work well.
Especially going into school or if your child is in daycare/nursery school.
I do this with hubby too - 5 pairs of non suit work pants - 5 pairs jeans (and two pairs of painting gardening stuff

Me I am down to much less, I have one pair of cleaning pants (bleach, paint etc), 2 pairs yoga pants, and one pair of nice jeans (for going out but not nice places) and two more pair of casual pants. Then I have two jean skirts for those medium casual.

I also got the pijamas down to 4 for each child. They can wear them more than one night, and I am on track to do laundry twice a week it got to the point I was doing 14-18 loads on saturday - talk about mind numbing!

I also went to sorry to say Walmart...but hey nice fluffy towels two bucks! And got two towels for everyone, plus one guest set and one set for each bathroom. I put their names on in magic marker. So you get your towels.

I have 8 pairs of undies now and three bras.

Oh boy I feel so good sure I do laundry twice a week but I am doing diapers anyhow then they get to wear their nice stuff more, instead of just what's clean after a week.

My three year old's entire wardrobe now fits in one drawer instead of the whole dresser

LIBERATION!
i think if we ever had to evacuate I could easily pack what he needs as its all there!!!

8 might be enough
#7 of 8 Old 10-05-2005, 12:27 PM

We get lots of hand me downs, and are lucky that the grandparents also buy my son most of his clothes. My dh's stepmom seems to have studied my taste so she buys him exactly what I would buy, or close, so it's great. With the hand me downs, I go through them, and if I don't really like them or love them, but they are in good condition, I donate them. I am over feeling guilty about this because someone will use them, right? DS has two drawers of clothes in an average sized four drawer dresser. This includes pajamas but not jackets. He also has a rain jacket (in-laws), a heavy jacket (me, from Ross), and a windbreaker (great aunt). That's it. He's two.

Stephanie
#8 of 8 Old 10-05-2005, 01:19 PM

My boys are 4 and 6 and wear all the same clothes so cut my numbers in half :LOL We also get lots of hand me downs.
I keep about 12-15 long pants, maybe 10 sweat shirts/sweaters and 10 long sleeve t-shirts.

We have lots of underwear and socks, the underware because #2 couldn't wipe if his life depended on it, and the socks, because I haven't gone through and pruned them for a while.

We also own several long johns/pajamas, but we also spend lots of outside fishing, camping, and hiking, even as it gets cold, and I like to be able to layer easily.

Again we also have more then most families will probably need of jackets and vests, but they often need to be washed because they have roasted marshmallow or fish smell all over them :LOL They each have a winter coat, a good vest, and a couple jackets.

We couldn't live with out a good pair of boots these are our favorites, the liner comes out so they work for fishing in July or sledding in January, and have held up to more then a year of hard wear, but I am going to need new ones because they aren't going to fit with the liner this winter.

I try to keep one pair of nice shoes on the rare occasion we need them, other wise they have the boots, a pair of sandals, and go barefoot lots.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page