Flylady is working for me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I guess it is all a matter of interpretation and maybe this time I figured out how to take what I was ready for and leave the rest but I must say that DH and the rest of my family are AMAZED at the difference in my house and I have only been back on the wagon for 3 weeks.

Of course I interpret "shining the sink" to mean washing all of the dishes that need to be washed in the sink and leaving them on the drying rack and then drying off the cleaned of bubbles sink with my damp cloth. For 1 week that is all that I did (well and by the end of the week I started wiping of the counter because hey there weren't any dirty dishes on it so I might as well

Week 2 I started doing the "missions" and continued to shine my sink...I had so much room left in my tupperware cupboard that I managed to get about 4 appliances off my counter plus I now have a handy place to put the 4 loaves of bread that I buy at the beginning of every week!)

Yesterday I did my "Home Blessing Hour" basically I just set my timer 6 times for 10 minutes each and managed to get the whole house looking decent, swept, mopped and the sheets changed in that time (yep there are still piles of stuff all over but I figure they will get dealt with eventually

And today's mission was to purge under the bathroom sink and I did so well that I managed to fit my wipes container in that cupboard instead of having it on the back of the toilet (where people tend to throw other stuff on top of it).

I am really liking the timer thing. I hate doing housework so that "you can do anything in 15 minutes" thing works for me.

Also I have all of the Flylady emails go to a separate folder and basically I just read the headings and occasionally skim the contents (hardly ever read the testimonials and I am not yet ready to do "routines" so I skip those).

I have dropped out many times before but it is working for me this time...probably because instead of trying to do it "perfectly" I am just trying to do something and I keep repeating the mantra "Housework done imperfectly still blesses your family".

I refuse to wear shoes though...that's just weird!

And I am trying to incorporate my sister's philosophy (if you keep up with your dishes and laundry your house looks pretty good even if you let other stuff slide )

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#2 of 19 Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 AM

I think it's literally amazing to me how our house transformed with just starting with the dishes in the sink and becoming disciplined in that. Then the laundry. Our house isn't even the same. Now, as I've said before, my house won't be in better homes and gardens any time soon but atleast it isn't filthy anymore...well filthy to my standards..not as bad as I've seen other people!

I just did the shine your sink and laundry and bless my home hour a few times a week for a good 2 to 4 months and that is all it took, now it is habit and I sprinkle other things in my schedule or take care of something when I see it needs to be done as I go.

Sherra
#3 of 19 Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 PM

I just started getting Flylady. How long did it take you to really get in the grove. I can't seem to get a handle on it. I'm seriously contmeplating flying my mom out here to help me clean up. I have 4 kids who have tons of stuff and clothes, my dh is not very neat and I feel overwhelmed by it all. I try to do the zones, but they can undo in an hour what I spent all day getting straight

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 19 Old 09-15-2005, 06:26 AM

Want my version of flylady that worked for me?

This is what I do:

First and foremost I keep my sink clean..dishes go either directly in the dishwasher or they get handdone (if there are only a few) and placed in the drying rack. Don't ask me why it works, it just did for me. WEIRD!

I get out a week calendar. I map out the following to my liking (hey if you don't like it..you not gonna do it so don't put too much on one day):

1) two days to bless my home for one hour

2) two days to do laundry

3) every day I put down a 15 min declutter and at that day, I decide to tackle the most cluttered room that I spend a lot of time in. Ex. my office is the most cluttered but I am never in there..so I put my effort into the kitchen and livingroom clutter before thinking of that room. Some day I will tackle it again, just not on a regular basis like flylady does.

4) any other misc things I saw that needed to be done but couldn't get to. I keep a list of things that need to be done but couldn't get to..ie. cleaning out the dryer. Set mini goals and sprinkle them throughout the week if you want...like cleaning off the top of your table.

For bless my home hour, I choose 5 items to do from a list of these: mop, sweep, vacuum, dust, mirrors, windows, change bed sheets, go through magazines...add any irritating thing that needs to be done on a regular basis to this list and just choose from it as part of the 5 once in awhile.

That is all I do from flylady. I can't handle her emails, so I don't do them. I got tired of my all or nothing attitude.....and once I realized that I need to make it just as simple as I can and take from her what works for me and just do what I can and improve upon it, I began to do better. Took me 2 to 4 months. It takes that long for something to become a habit with me. Might be different for others.

Sherra

PS. When I mop and vacuum weekly, I do not move everything around as that deters me from keeping clean I found. About once every two months or so, I then move things around and scrub mop and vacuum under them really good. I found it helped me to have a scrub mop and a surface mop. The right tools for the right job. I hated only having the scrub mop and making mopping such a chore. Once in awhile though, I can handle that!
#5 of 19 Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks! I guess I should read those emails to get a handle on it. I hate that I feel so defeated by it all. I was never like that, but I've been pg for the last 3 years and I now with little ones it's hard to stay on top of it.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#6 of 19 Old 09-20-2005, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Don't read all of the emails! Seriously it will just make you feel overwhelmed (at least that is what it did for me the 6 or so other times I tried it).

Pick one thing to start on and concentrate on creating new habits long term.

My first week it was just "shine the sink" which I interpret the same way Sherra does.

Second week I added laundry and keeping the kitchen table cleared...you have no idea what a HUGE difference just these three things made!!

And 3rd week I started doing some of the "Missions" and doing the weekly home blessing hour.

Don't concentrate on doing everything *right* just do something (that is why the timer is powerful!!)

Keeping up with the dishes and the laundry (and by laundry I mean the putting away part too which I always seemed to skip over before!) will make a huge difference all on their own. If you do just that and start decluttering you will be amazed at what will happen over time!

I still can't believe how much better my house looks and it feels like I am putting out fairly little effort really!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#7 of 19 Old 09-20-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell
Don't read all of the emails! Seriously it will just make you feel overwhelmed (at least that is what it did for me the 6 or so other times I tried it).
Yeah, it can be. One helpful thing about the emails though, is if you tell yourself it is okay to delete them, it really is! Then you can pick one thing to focus on that she sends emails about. For me it is laundry. I ignore everything else but when I see the reminder about laundry, I go "oops, better run that load down and start it!" so it helps.

It's all about making it for you. Steph, wonderful story, very inspiring!!

The shoes thing helps me sometimes. If I'm feeling "blah" then doing what she says and putting on my tennies really does help me.
#8 of 19 Old 09-30-2005, 12:39 AM

I'm happy to see this thread. I get why some women feel that FlyLady is smug, and I totally get the overwhelmed feeling about the emails. But I also like the system. I've been trying and trying to get a handle on it (each time I get back to it, I do a little better). I have my daily "flight plans," and my morning and afternoon routines (starting very simply, mind you). I agree that it's best to start with one thing and then gradually add on. I mean, I've been living in so much clutter for so long that it's worth taking this slowly so I can stick to it.

Just happy to see you all and to find this board. Thanks!
#9 of 19 Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 AM

Quote:
One helpful thing about the emails though, is if you tell yourself it is okay to delete them, it really is!
:LOL

Sherra
#10 of 19 Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherra

S I found it helped me to have a scrub mop and a surface mop. The right tools for the right job. I hated only having the scrub mop and making mopping such a chore. Once in awhile though, I can handle that!
I like your routine and I'm printing it out for inspiration.

Please tell me about your scrub mop. My floor is always stick and a scrub mop sounds great.
#11 of 19 Old 09-30-2005, 08:05 PM

I had to unsubscribe from those emails, too. It was the ultimate virtual nag -- a simulation of how it would be if my mother ever got email!
#12 of 19 Old 10-01-2005, 12:59 AM

I don't get the emails, either. I log onto the website once in a while, and I check the Zones (though I'm not quite ready for them yet). I can't deal with all the email. Ironically enough, it clutters up my inbox!
#13 of 19 Old 10-01-2005, 06:42 AM

scrub mop just looks like this:

http://catalog.carlislefsp.com/CGI-B...005026+CF1+ENG

Guess you can call it a deck/floor brush. It looks like those but has a long broom like handle and tough bristles.

I also have just a regular sponge mop to mop up the excess from this. It's possible my microfiber mop would get the excess up too...just never tried it.

And my regular microfiber mop I use weekly is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microfiber-Mop-2...QQcmdZViewItem

I just got rid of my wetjet in an effort to go more natural. THAT was hard to do. I LOVED my wet jet.

Sherra
#14 of 19 Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 AM

For some reason that scrub deck mop link doesn't work..but here is something similar:

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...CP6337BLU.html

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...e/BRU3310.html

You can get these at places like Home Depot.

You of course don't want to use this on a floor that you can damage/scratch it with but my floor is pretty tough.

Sherra
#15 of 19 Old 10-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Any Flylady die hards on this forum, that have bought the control journal, instead of making it yourself? Just was wondering. Sometimes things already made up is alot easier, and less time consuming when someone else does it for you, lol.

Renee
#16 of 19 Old 10-04-2005, 01:09 PM

I did buy the purple zip up binder holder, but am in the process of making up my control journal to put in it. I am going slooooowly with it this time (have tried and dropped out several times before), and so who knows when it will be done.
:LOL
#17 of 19 Old 10-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownay2
Any Flylady die hards on this forum, that have bought the control journal, instead of making it yourself? Just was wondering. Sometimes things already made up is alot easier, and less time consuming when someone else does it for you, lol.

Renee
LOL, don't know if I'm a "die hard" but yeah, I bought the CJ rather than make it. I kept procrastinating on doing it, trying to make it perfect, you know the drill. 'course, I still haven't really finished the bought one, either, but it's there when I need it. I liked the supplement pages to it, too; some of them crack me up: "Throw this away when you're done doing this, don't keep it in your control journal. Do you hear me!" LOL. Sometimes she just slays me.
#18 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
trying out the flylady...

i shined my sink tonight! boy, did it feel cathartic (rough day at work today). while i was at it, i managed to clean up the rest of the kitchen too.

i was looking for a project at work so i guess i'll be tackling the pile of paper tomorrow.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#19 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verilyI
I had to unsubscribe from those emails, too. It was the ultimate virtual nag -- a simulation of how it would be if my mother ever got email!

haha.. my mom does have email but she still phones to nag!

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page