Where do you keep the toys? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-18-2005, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our new house, at least for now, affords us the ability to have a "play" room/"toy" room for the boys. But, we are going to take all the toys out of it this weekend because it just gets thrashed whenever they play in there. It's like there is too much to choose from, so they just go nuts.

What I think we are going to do is put the toys in big plastic bins by type, and then store them out in the garage by type. Then, they can bring in a tub or two for play during the day, clean it up before bed, and put it back in the garage. But, I was also thinking of keeping a couple small bins in their bedroom with most played with stuff (rescue heroes and trains or something like that).

When I was a kid, we kept our toys in our closets with our clothes. If we didn't have room when we got something new, then we had to give something away to make room. I know I didn't have the amount of stuff my boys have now and it's starting to make me sick. (Oh, and it's not like we had large closets either ... same size we have now ... big enough for both boys to share and hang up their clothes - which is another thing we have too much off.)

So, where do you keep toys in your house? Do your kids just keep them stored in their rooms? Do you have more toys than what could fit in their rooms and you keep them somewhere else?

I don't want them in the living room; we do have a cool Lakeshore bookshelf/cubby shelf thing in the "hallway" between our living room and front room ... it is where I keep the more creative stuff - dress-up, art/drawing supplies, magnetic letters, "tools". We might move another of the Lakeshore shelves out there too (we invested in 4 of them ... the greatest pieces of furniture I think we own!). But I don't want them to house "toys" - just more creative, imaginative, homeschooling, book type stuff.

So, where do you keep everything?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#2 of 17 Old 09-18-2005, 10:49 AM

We had this built this summer. The bottom outside cabinets hold toys. The middle cabinet holds office and craft supplies (with child locks).

Emma store a lot of her toys under her loft..
#3 of 17 Old 09-18-2005, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had a playroom built last year.........and had bookshelves with cabinets and a window seat with cabinets underneath along a whole wall. Then I got some nice baskets (ROSS). Also at Ross I found some canvas bins. I have the toys organized with dress up clothes/jewelry etc in one large cabinet, puzzles and blocks in another, games in another, arts and crafts in another large cabinet, puppets in another........you get the idea. Dd usually only empties out one or two cabinets at a time, and its really helped her clean up, with a place for everything.

Her bedroom is very small....but in there I have a net hanging on the wall for stuffed animals.......and in her wicker basinet she keeps her dolls etc.

I think baskets and bins have really helped a not so organized person be organized!
#4 of 17 Old 09-18-2005, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
We had this built this summer. The bottom outside cabinets hold toys. The middle cabinet holds office and craft supplies (with child locks).

Seriously, can your dh come and help my dh build those in our house?! The living room cabinet/wall unit is beautiful!!! And I LOVE the loft for your daughter. So, from the pictures, it's bigger than just a twin-size loft bed ... there's like a "shelf" or "ledge" to sit on or put things on? What an awesome idea.

I had been wanting to make a loft bed in the boys' room, but I didn't like the idea of a twin-size loft because it'd be next to impossible to make the bed. I really like the idea of making it wider than a twin (maybe more like a double) and then framing the twin mattress inside of it.

#5 of 17 Old 09-18-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
We had a playroom built last year.........and had bookshelves with cabinets and a window seat with cabinets underneath along a whole wall. Then I got some nice baskets (ROSS). Also at Ross I found some canvas bins. I have the toys organized with dress up clothes/jewelry etc in one large cabinet, puzzles and blocks in another, games in another, arts and crafts in another large cabinet, puppets in another........you get the idea. Dd usually only empties out one or two cabinets at a time, and its really helped her clean up, with a place for everything.

Her bedroom is very small....but in there I have a net hanging on the wall for stuffed animals.......and in her wicker basinet she keeps her dolls etc.

I think baskets and bins have really helped a not so organized person be organized!
I'm thinking I might have to go check out Ross and see what kind of bins they have ... I would love to get some canvas bins for their bookcase/toy shelf thing.

I was also thinking of putting a net up in their room for stuffed animals ... do you clean them often to help prevent dust? That's my only worry (with the animals to begin with, but also by storing them someplace) ... we tend to get congested pretty easy and I would be afraid that dust bunnies might take up residence.

#6 of 17 Old 09-18-2005, 04:47 PM

After watching something on Oprah about dust mites........now I throw them in the dryer for 1/2 hr once a month. Periodically, I wash them too!

I was just admiring the above posters link to her cabinets and loft bed! WOW! Must be nice to be married to someone who can do wood work like that! We had to pay someone to do ours (Ive got to take a pic to show you guys!)

I was just at Target and saw some canvis bins there too in the clearance!
#7 of 17 Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Canvas and mesh over the door shoe holders for the little toys and puzzle pieces, etc.
#8 of 17 Old 09-20-2005, 12:55 PM

The loft was Rob's maiden voyage in carpentry! He did OK! Yes, it's wider than a twin bed (probably double bed width), but we only have a twin up there. It's just a twin mattress set up there, no frame or box springs. It really was fairly easy!

The living room cabinets were built by a local cabinet maker. Rob painted them and screwed in the knobs.
#9 of 17 Old 09-20-2005, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we ended up putting all the toys in the garage by type in big clear bins. Then, yesterday I bought two of the canvas "cubes" at Target - not on sale, but only $10 and like 14" cubes. Both boys got one and I wrote their names big on the outside in a sharpie. They get to go in the garage with their bins (with dh) and pick what toys they want inside for the next few days. I'm hoping this might help tackle the issue - the cubes are big enough to fit a good variety in them and small enough to not take up too much room.

#10 of 17 Old 09-20-2005, 01:22 PM

I want a playroom so they aren't taking over my house but it's not feasible here. Downstairs the play kitchen is in our dining room and in the living room is one very small basket of toys. I rotate those out with some from upstairs. In each of the kids' rooms there is one laundry tub of toys.
#11 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Toy organization has been a major issue around here. Our house is pretty darn small for th enumber of people and pets in it. We have been trying to move for a long time, but have had one situation after another delay it. Hopefully soon... In the meantime, I'm trying to get things as organized as possible and maximize what space I have, so that I don't go crazy in the meantime. I have stored most of their toys away in the garage in labeled plastic containers with lids, I don't really plan to get those out again until we are moved. It's a shame because our space is so small that we have a wooden train table, dollhouse, etc stored away because I just don't have the space right now. My 4 yr old and 3 yr old share a room right now, and have too many toys between them. The toys we kept are in their closet in one of those toy bins with all the different compartments. I have each bin labeled and cut a picture out to paste next to the word, so that they can easily recognize what goes where when it's time to put the toys away. Plus, it helps my nearly 5 year old who is learning how to read, when he sees the words. The rule is they can only take out 1 bin at a time. Next to the toy bin, are some metal shelves with 2 dishpans on each shelf. The dishpans hold books, they can flip through the dishpan to find what they want. If I had the space, as in had a playroom, I would do rain gutter shelves for books. I think this page has more pictures. I also have 2 big plastic containers with lids up on their closet shelf, these are toys available for rotation, when they get bored with what's in the bin, I will rotate the bin toys into the storage containers, and the storage container toys into the bins.

Having a smaller space really forces you to start looking for unusual places to keep things. I actually have out of season clothes for all 4 kids stored in their old big wooden toy box. I hated what a jumble toys became in there, and the kids made a mess trying to find what they needed, so I sort their clothes each season, and anything in good shape with grow room I fold and put in the wooden toy box, which is stored in the back of my huge walk in closet. it works better for that than for toys.
#12 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 01:08 PM

I am in w/the gutter shelves. Fab tip!
#13 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We have two cardboard boxes, one for train stuff and one for legos, which are stored under the train table. We also have a toy box (about 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft) for his other toys, plus a milk crate outside for his outdoor toys. We should probably actually get rid of the big toy box, since toys he plays with regularly could probably fit into another cardboard box.

We also have a trunk up in the attic with toys waiting to be rotated, donated, or whatnot. I'll admit that the main problem here is that *I'm* attached to his toys and can't bear to get rid of some of them

I love the loft! If we were staying where we are after the lease is up, we'd seriously consider something like that ourselves.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#14 of 17 Old 09-22-2005, 01:50 PM

Off topic, but the loft just reminded of something. I designed a house right out of college for a nice couple. They were in their 50's and are raising their grandaughter, sort of like their daughter. She was 7. For her bedroom they pulled out all the stops. The ceiling was 20' in her bedroom. They had her bed made into a loft area that stuck out a few feet and had a window right above it for her to look out. To get to her bed she had to cross a "bridge" that was stationary. There were like 3 level that she could walk to and each one had something different. When the room was done they hired a muralist to come and paint everything top to bottom like a treehouse/jungle. They even stapled fake plants to the railing and painted animals peaking out. It was beautiful. And the little girl was just a doll, so fun to work with.
#15 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love the idea of storing toys in the garage! DS would have fun picking out what he wants and bringing it in every day. That's a wonderful idea! Right now we have toys everywhere. Mostly we play in the living room and there are always toys cluttering up that space. I'd like to move the bins to the garage and play in DS's room more. It's a small room but he's still a small guy too! Thanks for the suggestions! :LOL

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#16 of 17 Old 09-28-2005, 10:27 AM

I have toys everywhere

Which is actually not as bad as it sounds

The boys have shelves in their rooms for their special toys. They do have way too much stuff but we're working on that.

I put a large chest in the dining room and keep the wooden trains and Lincoln Logs in there. I have one large plastic bin that lives under the table. I try to go through it periodically and get rid of stuff. I keep all the games in the china closet (I put the china on open shelves)I'm going to be putting in a set of cupboards too. They will hold more stuff. I have a plastic crate full of blocks. It's very functional but not pretty. Someday I'll find a nicer container.

I have a small closet to hold art supplies and puzzles. It's a mess ATM and I really need to clean it out and reunite all the puzzles etc.

I keep sand toys in a container on the front porch. When I clean the garage, I'll probably move them there.

I'm still working on it but I've set up a toy storage area in the basement. I try to keep the less frequently used stuff down there. We have so much stuff it's incredible.

What I haven't figured is dress-up clothes. I'd like to hang them since the house is small and there really isn't floor space for another basket or bin. But I barely have room to hang our coats, much less dress up stuff.

I "allow" :LOL a couple of baskets in the living room but I try to keep them out. I think I'm going to put one set of blocks in here and move the rest. It's more aesthetically appealing and the kids do play with them.

My son's dollhouse is on the upstairs landing.

Right now the Rescue Heroes are in the dining room. I'd like to move them but there's no room in the other rooms. If we can fix up the basement, I'd like to set up a play area down there.

Kids books are on a few shelves but I really want to do rain gutter shelves.

I wouldn't mind putting them in baskets but I just don't have room for more baskets. Space is at a premium.

The biggest job for me is getting the number of toys down to a reasonable amount and then keeping them put away.
#17 of 17 Old 10-02-2005, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink

Wow.....I want that soooooooo much. It's soooooooo pretty and it has books and everything. Must remember happy cabinet for future home, must remember happy cabinet for fut...

Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page