Let's talk about quick fixes!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-30-2005, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am right now taking three online courses and homeschooling. My dh is taking 17 hours physically on campus and working 20 hours a week. We are busy busy busy.
I wanted to post some things I am doing, and look for suggestions from others.
My biggest problem right now is with dishes. We dont have a dishwasher, and there are five of us. I get all the gross things done, but the glasses are everywhere!!
I have gotten in the habit of washing a bunch several times a day, so at least thereis always some clean.
We have hardwood floors, and once a day, I sweep everything on the floor into a pile. The boys have to go through and extract any legos, crayons, books, etc. Then I sweep the rest into the garbage.
Swiifer wet jet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-30-2005, 09:03 PM

Here's the only thing I learned from that Fly Lady website that stuck with me at all. It's the best decluttering technique ever. Basically you just take a garbage bag and walk through the house tossing things into it, and you try to get to some number -- can't remember what it is, but I do 20 -- as fast as you can. Don't think about it too hard, just throw things away. It can be a scrap of paper, or it can be a bit of broken/useless toy. I still do that once or twice a week, whenever I feel like I'm being buried in toddler mess and clutter, and it makes me feel better every single time.
#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2005, 01:38 AM

When we were kids and we would go stay with my great aunt, she would stick a masking tape label with our name on it at the beginning of the day. We had to use the same glass for water all day. Maybe that would help with the glasses some? We have no d/w, so I feel your pain there.
#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2005, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

hm, maybe. I tried writing their names on plastic cup in sharpie, but they washed off. I will try a label. Or maybe I will buy three different colored cups?
I am also going to go and buy a vinyl table cloth. Right now, it is a cloth table cloth, and it is a huge pain to get it completely cleared off and washed and replaced. if i leave is uncovered, it is a glass table and the amount of cleaning time is unreal! so, i am going to try vinyl
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2005, 07:37 PM

For long-term labeling of dishes or clothes (we have to do this for ds' daycare all the time), the best thing is permanent marker on cloth medical tape--get the white opaque cloth, rather than the translucent paper kind. It stays for a looong time--usually it stays on through the laundry/dishwasher, multiple washings, etc. For more temporary labeling, masking tape sounds easy and cheaper.

Another quick fix is to have a system for stacking up dirty dishes--e.g. dishes must get bussed and then stacked in a pile (even over multiple meals, add to the same pile); bowls in another pile; glasses and pots on the counter; etc. You need to get your family's cooperation and can put up a chart by the sink to remind everyone what goes where. It's anal but it's amazing how much more you can pile up this way without it looking too scary. Then just tackle the dishes when you get the chance.

Another good handwashing tip is to get a 7-pack of everyday kitchen towels (unless you have them already). Everyday use a fresh towel and try to have 2 people on dishwashing duty: one washing, one drying and putting away immediately. Goes much faster and is more social and bonding time, rather than just a chore. Otherwise, during the week, I usually empty out the dishrack by drying/putting away and leave the dishes in the sink for dh. But sometimes vice versa. Don't mind the handwashing sometimes, but can't wait for our new dishwasher!
#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

oo, good advice about the med tape. I will try that.
My hubby is has been in the restaurant biz for over twenty years, so he is the king of the "neat stack" LOL> I agree, it does look tidier.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page