"collections" what do you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2005, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay we have a few 'collections' of things.... that I am beginning to think aren't really worth keeping. I think kids will pick their favorite things to keep as momentos but really my dh has a stamp and coin collection going. He's not that into them but thought they'd be a nice thing for the kids later....

He's also done the family tree (extended like 65k people in it) and I think thats a nice gift for the kids thats much more personal than a few stamps or coins. I recently got rid of my rock collection which was hard but hey there's always new rocks!

How do you approach what is worth keeping at what's not?

8 might be enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 12:10 AM

I think you must be brutal, especially if space is an issue. The fam tree I'd keep, the rest I would sell for what I could get and consider it good!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

lol no one would by the tree
Yes I will start preparing him to sell the collections....
I think it will be so freeing not to own 'stuff' we don't love or need!
got to convert mister he thinks his 1978 computer is a priceless antique

8 might be enough
Old 10-04-2005, 03:13 PM

Personally, I have collections of any kind on ignore.

I think the concept itself is pretty evil, in that it promotes hoarding, and the general idea is that the stuff being collected has to be cared for really well and not even used!

So it's like you're living in a museum.
No thank you! I'd rather LIVE in my house!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 PM

My mother left me several collections of things. I find it sort of oppressive. These things were meaningful to her, and some of these things are truly valuable, so I feel like I need to expend a lot of time and effort disposing of them in the right way. As for the stuff she left me that I like, I use it. I figure, if my kids get Playdough on the beautiful rug that my grandfather brought back from China, at least it has already had a couple of generations of use! Your family tree sounds cool, unique, not too big, and it would be hard for your kids to reproduce it down the road. As for the stamps and coins, I'd do as you suggest- let your kids pick a few then get rid of the rest. Give your kids the freedom to develop their own interests.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 AM

I only collect things that I actually use. For example, I have a collection of vintage milk glass that gets used a lot and a bunch of vintage table cloths.

I guess I have a craft supply collection, but I use that too.

I'm not the kind of person to buy something just because it's a collectible.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes useful collections are better! I have actually started asking for stuff I will use now when my parents travel - table cloths and napkin sets rock for that. They get used often and I enjoy them.

Dh is in agreement about the coins....I said keep only the 'valuable' lol ones in our safety deposit box and the rest can find a new home. (he has one of those mechanic chests on castors for his coins - I kid you not. - mostly coins to 'be sorted' looking for valuable ones....sigh....)

Well he just got a suggestion to apply for an internal transfer at work to Brussels....so maybe if he gets excited and thinks it could happen he might get more 'onboard'.

Oh and can I get a whoo - this clothes horse is now down to ONE SINGLE DOOR CLOSET! no walk in no dresser drawers - just one! I am talking 3.5 feet wide!!!

And my sewing stuff/machine/fabric - one small cabinet!

Miracles do happen!

Alison

8 might be enough

User Tag List