Does anyone else get Real Simple magazine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-11-2005, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamababamba
Any real simple ideas for simply reusing, recycling your Real Simple?
I do think the magazine has stunning photography. Since we buy plain ol' card stock instead of over-priced cards, I will cut out photos from the magazine to make our own cards for special occasions. While I'm certainly no profressional card-maker, I think I've come up with some really nice cards from portions of their pictures. That's what we do with ours anyway.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#32 of 46 Old 10-11-2005, 06:17 PM

I googled magazine subscriptions and treated myself to a year long one for $16 about 6 months ago after buying at the coverprice a few times. I enjoy it, becuz I like some of the ideas and the recipes as well as the decorating ideas. I like a certain look/lifestyle for my home, but I have a budget so the magazines gives me ideas and I just budgetdize it to fit me. I'll probably renew. Plus it's really artfully done.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#33 of 46 Old 10-15-2005, 12:00 AM

I'm reading the book Affluenza that states; "Real Simple would be more aptly called Real Cynical , as most of it is devoted to ads for expensive products".

I'm sure there are some helpful hints in the magazine, but I was turned off once I heard about the bottle over breast tip.
#34 of 46 Old 10-15-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
There are good things still in there... but I think I'm looking harder and harder to find them these days...
Same here! I'm not renewing. My mom is disappointed (we have a magazine swap) but my sister agrees, so she is outvoted
#35 of 46 Old 10-15-2005, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlow
I'm reading the book Affluenza that states; "Real Simple would be more aptly called Real Cynical , as most of it is devoted to ads for expensive products".
I'm also reading this book. Good read
#36 of 46 Old 10-15-2005, 11:22 PM

Who is the author?
#37 of 46 Old 10-15-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmamomma
Who is the author?

Affluenza by by John De Graaf
#38 of 46 Old 10-16-2005, 01:38 AM

I was so excited when Real Simple came out, I was hoping for somuch more and was sorely dissapointed. : A "keep up with the Jones" mag if there ever was... even if these Jones area little "greener".

There was a small magazine published by a woman in New York City that I loved, I cant remember the name right now... but it was amazing. Printed on recycled paper and NO ADDS! It was wonderful! Great articles... great info. She stopped publishing/writing to write a book, that was about two years ago.

I am not sure a magazine that we would all love could make it... consumerism feeds the hungry beasts, and those $75 tote bags are being consumed by...someone!

Oh I think the name of the publication I was thinking of was called A Real Life and boy it was really great!

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#39 of 46 Old 10-16-2005, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
I do think the magazine has stunning photography. Since we buy plain ol' card stock instead of over-priced cards, I will cut out photos from the magazine to make our own cards for special occasions. While I'm certainly no profressional card-maker, I think I've come up with some really nice cards from portions of their pictures. That's what we do with ours anyway.
#40 of 46 Old 02-10-2006, 02:10 PM

I had to post HAD TO that I didn't renew when this scrip ran out.

I lost my taste for it! SAWB.
#41 of 46 Old 02-10-2006, 02:53 PM

I have the "book" which has all the decorating tips in it. I like some of the organization ideas.

I don't look at magazine, and I also have a love/hate relationship with the pictures (in the book). Everything is so clean, white, blah and pottery barn-esque. My house (over 100 yrs old, with dark wood molding) does not
go with any of this. Ever notice the rooms are HUGE in Real Simple? Show me Real Simple in an 8 by 6 entry way, or no entryway hall coat closet.

Its "Real Simple" when you have a 3000 sq ft house. End Rant.

I also used to subscribe to "Shop Etc"-this was before simplfying my consumerism and going more towards a natural lifestyle. They used to have some awesome "Best Buys" for decorating & clothes, but turned into a "Best buy" for $300. The old issue I looked at (trying to recycle) had a $600 serving spoon. Can you imagine?
#42 of 46 Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM

Have you ever read Budget Living? I know it isn't exactly about simplifying, but more about money saving tips. I got a really cheap subscription on eBay and I enjoy it even if some things in there aren't in my budget. I think the writing is very clever. If you pick one up, the letters to the editor section is a must read!

http://www.budgetlivingmedia.com/issue200622/index.php
#43 of 46 Old 02-13-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
My mil would get it for a while and my dh used to call it Real Expensive. Then last year with that whole breastfeeding thing, it sent me over the edge so then I started refering to it as Real Stupid. But since that whole episode, I stopped looking at it.

But I'm glad it works for you.
After the magazine referred to NOT bf as a way to simplify life , I decided not to look at it. I never had a subscription but work in a store where we sell mags . I can get all the old ones for free. I was SO SO irked by this..
I wish i had the article....actually it was more of a blurb

i wrote a letter and emailed it to the mag ....and since then I refuse to read it !
sorry to rain on the parade ...i am not much of a hard ass but this,
i experienced first hand ...i read the article was pissed and made a decision!
#44 of 46 Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 AM

i will never buy it or read it, because of the asinine breastfeeding 'information'

grrr hiss growl, roar!
#45 of 46 Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 AM

I too have had this mag since the beginning and it has changed a lot. Originally it was my DH who subscribed and he thought it had a lot of practical advice, we still use a syryp pourer to hold our dish detergent. Unfortunatly right after a renewed for 2 years while still having almost a year left the whole BF thing came out and I was completely turned away. The my poor DH started to realize it was geared more and more towards women as time passed. I also hated reading about the "poor people" that really had to cut back on their spending since they were going to 1 income of 200K+. Right now we get the mag and it sits in the magazine rack untill the next one comes then it gets thrown out. I like the idea from a pp about making cards with it, I refuse to buy cards and that is great advice. My kids use it for school projects also.
#46 of 46 Old 02-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Yeah, I pretty much Real Simple with a grain of salt. It can be totally commercialized and sometimes a little stupid, i.e. which is the best something or other, paper towel, pasta sauce, etc. And I agree, that make your life simpler by not breastfeeding sure made me cringe, growl and laugh out loud at the utter stupidity.
However, I like the recipes and the images are really nice, and I have seen some great organizing ideas. I use the pages for collages and using them for cards is a great idea.
So, I dont think they totally suck, but just kinda sorda suck.

On another note, I have ran across some great magazines and stuff on this thread! Thank you mamas! And I forgot how much I Hathor the Cow Goddess, so thanks for the reminder!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page