Moving tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am moving on the 28th. Does anyone have suggestions about packing and unpacking tht might be helpful. Trying to do this as organized as possible. Trying to declutter as I go. So i have less to unpack.
#2 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 05:55 PM

No advice. Just subbing.
#3 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 07:26 PM

Get real honest with yourself NOW.
I calculated that our last move cost lets say it cost: 500 just to move our 'stuff' moving 'boxes'I divided it out among the boxes and figured out how much it cost us to move 'per box' it was helpful the next time for figuring out to chuck it (donate etc) or move it.

For example if I moved 50 of the same sized box lets say 2feet by 2 feet
(uhaul says thats about a 3-4 bedroom house) and bought the box it would cost me about 15 dollars to move 'each box' so if what I was moving cost less than that and I didn't 'need' it then it got chucked.

If you think how much time it takes to pack a box, tape a box, move box to truck, back into house, take out of box etc. Even one box less of stuff to pack and move can save you a bunch.

Here are my tips:
1. pack by room - so you can put box in room it will go into make sure who is moving doesn't dump in one or two areas but puts boxes into room.
2. Pack stuff you will need ASAP in clearly labeled boxes -cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc.
3. Make a list of how many boxes you have (sounds silly but they do go missing)

8 might be enough
#4 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks those are good ideas. I read somewhere else to start early packing things that arent needed right away and number them so that you know that the lower numbers are less important to unpack. I thought that was neat.
#5 of 14 Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 AM

^^^Yes! Definitely get things packed soon that aren't needed. It will make it seem like a less daunting task. The numbering idea is good too

A year ago we moved from an island to the mainland. It was an absolute pain. We probably spent $2500 moving everything between buying boxes, paying for ferry tickets, and paying for moving guys. It was horrible.

Now we are finally settled and dh wants to move AGAIN! : The house we moved into is huge. It has 5 bedrooms and many, many other rooms. You would not believe the clutter in this place. I am so dreading packing it all up again.

I don't know why I just went on and on, but I just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat! Good luck!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#6 of 14 Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Map the new place out and colorcode then number everything ie kitchen boxes are RED with numbers and sometimes little notes as to what is in them... so you unpack the things you need most/first with higher numbers.

I ALWAYS unpack my bathroom first, its usually a quick room to do and then you have one room (that you will have to use through the day anyway) that is unpacked and not so stressful.

I use bathtowels, hand towels facecloths to pack breakables dishes etc, as long as you tell everyone where the towels go anyone can fold a towel and put it away when done using it to secure your dishes.

I also have a box of cleaning supplies etc that i bring with us in our car so that if there is anything needing to be touched up at the new place i have the stuff right there.

Oh and there is 1 box of sheets for everyones beds for that first night, so that after a long day of bringing in all the boxes etc you dont have to go through multiple boxes to make the beds even if its just a mattress on the floor til the next day.

Oh and if the telephone service or whatever will already be on at the new place bring your phone with you dont pack it so that you can plug it in.

for our last 2 moves we also had either a small tv/vcr or on the last move we had a portable dvd player to entertain the kids while we were unpacking ... i may not be the biggest tv fan but it sure did help alot so we could get more done.
#7 of 14 Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Some tips we've gathered:

Now is a great time to declutter - whatever you don't want to move gets donated (freecycle it or salvation army pickup) or thrown away.

Get onto freecycle.org and ask for boxes - someone is always moving.

Number and label all boxes (ie. LR 1 - 10 for 'living room' 1 - 10) and make a list of what is in each box. That way, there is no tearing thru all the boxes trying to find the spoons or whatever when you don't feel like unpacking yet. We were also able to unpack in a fairly organized way. Also, you can easily find out which box (and what stuff) is missing, on the off chance that the moving company loses it.

If you have kids, hire a sitter and get them entertained out of the way when you're moving and packing/unpacking, if you're moving yourselves...or need them to not unpack what you've just packed.

And if you can think ahead to what you'll need for the first night, like the pp said, pack it in a marked box so you don't need to dig everywhere for stuff.

And make sure you're set with food and drinks for the first night, too. HTH
#8 of 14 Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Great ideas.

Decluttering is going great. I've gotten rid of 15 trash bags full of stuff for goodwill or garbage. And tons more to give away. I'm proud of my packrat self . :LOL
#9 of 14 Old 10-15-2005, 10:50 PM

: My DS and I are moving on the 24th. I have nothing packed Fortunately we're not going too far so it shouldn't be too bad. I've thought about packing.... does that count? LOL!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#10 of 14 Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned

Definitely, definitely buy / make one of those boxes that allows you to keep clothes on hangers hanging. Or put a bar across your vehicle to hang your clothes on. Putting a closet back together is so much easier, so much time gets wasted putting all the clothes back on hangers otherwise.

If you live anywhere close to a military base put out an ad or ask around. Military people ALWAYS have boxes to get rid of. Usually good condition and only used once.

Good Luck!
#11 of 14 Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 PM

Just moved two weeks ago, am 8 weeks pregnant and have a 28 mo.
yikes.

People have touched on most of my hints.
I started packing as soon as possible and did a little every day.
I labeled all the boxes with what room they were going to, so everyone didn't have to ask me about every box.
I put a lot of stuff - like pictures and other decor stuff - in the basement so the clutter won't drive me crazy until we get to it.
A long with the bedding for the first night I packed pajamas, diapers, books, everything we needed to go to bed.

good luck!
#12 of 14 Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsumam11
Some tips we've gathered:

Now is a great time to declutter - whatever you don't want to move gets donated (freecycle it or salvation army pickup) or thrown away.

Get onto freecycle.org and ask for boxes - someone is always moving.

Number and label all boxes (ie. LR 1 - 10 for 'living room' 1 - 10) and make a list of what is in each box. That way, there is no tearing thru all the boxes trying to find the spoons or whatever when you don't feel like unpacking yet. We were also able to unpack in a fairly organized way. Also, you can easily find out which box (and what stuff) is missing, on the off chance that the moving company loses it.

If you have kids, hire a sitter and get them entertained out of the way when you're moving and packing/unpacking, if you're moving yourselves...or need them to not unpack what you've just packed.

And if you can think ahead to what you'll need for the first night, like the pp said, pack it in a marked box so you don't need to dig everywhere for stuff.

And make sure you're set with food and drinks for the first night, too. HTH

Yes!! This is so important, we move constantly (military) and what a pita is was the first time or so when I had 5 boxes that just said "kitchen" not dishes or silverware and I was tearing through everything looking for a sippy cup! So now I label (kitchen-pans or bathroom-towels). Makes the unpacking faster too because I can go straight to what I need out, no wasted time digging.

Declutter, have a few yard sales or get rid of stuff on freecycle. We are moving again soon so I put stuff on the tp and had a yard sale. I'm slowly getting rid of stuff we don't need anymore. It is great. The first time or so I kept so much and now I'm at the point of I don't want to take that with me anymore! When you move and unpack and repack constantly you learn to declutter ruthlessly!
#13 of 14 Old 10-25-2005, 12:42 PM

Throw everything away and start fresh when you get there.
However, if that is not an option, here is what I do:
1. I kept a master binder broken down by room. Each box was assigned a number and what room it belonged in. In the binder I wrote a brief description of what was in the box (i.e. small appliances, flatware, dishtowels). Now with the digital camera-I take a picture of what is in the box and add the picture to the master binder.
2. If possible have a relative/friend meet you at your new location the day you move to help unpack the kitchen right away (that is the worst room to do). My mom came out that day and helped me do the kitchen and our bedroom and that made the rest of the unpacking easy.
3. 6 months later-if you have not unpacked it toss it. You have probably already replaced what was in the box.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#14 of 14 Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM

:

We're trying to sell our house and plan to move soon, 3rd time in 3 years. Bleh.

I am just now (9 weeks postpartum) starting to seriously declutter, throw out, get organized again. Actually we don't have that much stuff because even though we moved from a 2 bedroom apt. to a house, we didn't buy much furniture. We have a lot more toys. Many of them are going on a secret permanent vacation.

One thing I have done is organize all the kids' clothes not currently in use in those big clear plastic rubbermaid boxes by size and gender. This way if my sister in law gets pregnant and wants them I can just give her what she needs; when my oldest daughter outgrows a season/size it goes in the box for my second daughter, I can put my hands on stuff to sell/trade, and I know what I have so I don't buy more than I need. Also it's already ready to move.

I am taking down pictures/decor and wrapping them in old towels and sheets, and cloth diapers that are in the retirement stage. I am also collecting boxes here and there (those big diaper boxes from Costco that the neighbors put out every week find a nice place in my attic...they're very good moving size!...people are going to think we use a LOT of disposibles, ).

I am freecycling LOTS of stuff. Ruthlessly getting rid of junk. Selling off or donating books not being read, and having been toted around the last seven years through moves and jobs and hopelessly outdated by now.

Now if I could just get dh to stop burying us in scraps of paper...as soon as I create a clutter place for him, he fills it up and starts depositing more everywhere else again. :

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page