How do you store bulk/dry foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-05-2005, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found a new store with tons of dry and bulk food. They look great but if I don't have a way to store them neatly, and have them so can SEE them, they will just lie in thier little baggies at the botton of my pantry forever!
I was dreaming of some kind of little plastic drawer thing for my counter top, I know you can get those for fishing hooks, could you put food in them?
#2 of 5 Old 10-07-2005, 12:00 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I bought two cases of half-gallon canning jars about 10 years ago and paired them with re-useable plastic one-piece lids. They work brilliantly for items like nuts, specialty flours, grains, legumes, dried fruits and the like. For smaller-quantity items I use a similar set up with 12-oz. jars. And for spices, I use a collection of baby food jars with avery-label circles covering the tops of the lids (the kind I have are the Earth's Best, which have gold-coloured lids and look pretty nice once the labels are on the top).

My pantry looks absolutely delicious. The jars, all lined up, look more like décor than clutter. There must be something on that second X chromosome related to the "gathering" part of our hunter/gatherer past that makes visual evidence of a well-stocked pantry strike pride in my heart.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 PM

For things like flour and rice, I use spaghetti sauce or applesauce jars that I've washed out. For smaller stuff like spices, I either refill old spice jars (from before we started buying bulk) or use baby food jars. Bulk cereal can be stored in Rubbermaid type containers designed for cereal.
#4 of 5 Old 10-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Ditto the half-gallon Mason jars! Love them! I also invested in a few larger glass jars (I think from Target) for things like flour that I buy more than a half-gallon of, and they have really wide lids so I can get my one-cup measuring scoop down in there.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 5 Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
this thread may help for large bulk purchases. We use glass jars like mason/applesauce/etc for smaller amounts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page