A thought that has helped me as I declutter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure where I read this but it was a Buddhist type thing.

The reason we cling to things so dearly is because we are denying death. We think -- or some part of us does -- that if we hang onto these things we will not die, or that life will not change. Therefore, releasing "stuff" frees us to be in the moment of life, not clinging to what is old and past and often useless (to us anyway).

It comforts me to think of this as I resist letting go of my "beloveds" sometimes. And it HAS gotten much easier to let go, overall. I much rather would have the peace that an empty corner brings.
#2 of 10 Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 AM

#3 of 10 Old 10-07-2005, 05:17 PM

Thank you for sharing that! It's an awesome ideal! I wish I could realize it, though. :LOL

This weekend, we tried to clean out our garage. We moved here in August and it's been piled high with boxes ever since. I found a box full of letters that dh and I wrote to each other in high school! That was 12 years ago. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Maybe if I just keep reading your post I will be able to let them go.
#4 of 10 Old 10-07-2005, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I KNOW! Easier said than done right?! ESPECIALLY about papers: kid papers, drawings, letters, ticket stubs...aww man!!!!!!
#5 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie-pooh
Thank you for sharing that! It's an awesome ideal! I wish I could realize it, though. :LOL

This weekend, we tried to clean out our garage. We moved here in August and it's been piled high with boxes ever since. I found a box full of letters that dh and I wrote to each other in high school! That was 12 years ago. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Maybe if I just keep reading your post I will be able to let them go.
I refuse to throw things of emotional value away. I have a special place for them . Right now they're in an old suitcase and when I can affotrd it I'm getting a cedar chest just for my momentos. To me, that's not clutter, it's on the same level as the family photo album.
#6 of 10 Old 10-19-2005, 12:53 AM

I love what you shared about decluttering and it makes alot of sense. My husband and I try so hard to keep our space free of excess stuff - we think better, enjoy life more and keep it simple for our 2 year old. I spend most of my decluttering time in ds's room to organize and store all the clothes, books and toys he outgrows. And we have kept it minimal from the beginning - but even with very little baby stuff or even toys, it is a constant struggle.

In order to keep the stuff flowing and the energy clear around our house, we came up with guidelines for sorting, organizing and/or tossing. Our guidelines are these:

If it isn't useful, beautiful or meaningful, it goes. Period. And those qualities -useful, beautiful or meaningful - pretty much sum up the way we aspire to live our lives. After 4 years of maintaining this standard (almost 3 of them as new parents) our house is starting to take shape as a very special, tranquil, relaxing home!
#7 of 10 Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 AM

I thought I was replying to another thread about a Buddhist "decluttering" philosophy but I messed up and started a new thread. Well, that was my decluttering thought on it's own, for whatever it is worth!
#8 of 10 Old 10-21-2005, 12:52 AM

It is so hard for me

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#9 of 10 Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 AM

i like your thought.. but i'm not sure if it would work for me. :LOL

Quote:
I refuse to throw things of emotional value away. I have a special place for them . Right now they're in an old suitcase and when I can affotrd it I'm getting a cedar chest just for my momentos. To me, that's not clutter, it's on the same level as the family photo album.
same here. there are just some things that i will not throw away. like the dress my grandma made for me before she passed away. does not fit my dd, and i don't think we will be having anymore children.. so it's near useless. but i love it. i love that it makes me smile everytime i look at it, and that it was made with love *just for me*. so it's a keeper. same with the letters dh used to write to me.. and a diary me and my best friend kept for eachother when she went overseas in HS.. etc etc you get the idea. they are all going in a one memory chest. i figured it's just one chest. what's one chest in the grand scheme of things if it fills your heart with love and your mind with sweet memories everytime you open it?
#10 of 10 Old 10-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanEarthMama
If it isn't useful, beautiful or meaningful, it goes.
I like that. I think I might make a nice sign with that and bring it to each room as I am trying to declutter.

I'm the sentimental type--everything has sentimental value...letting go is so rewarding though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page