functional storage for hats and gloves - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2005, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay, so we have a BIG pile of hats and goves and scarves for the winter.

it's silly to say we should oly have one set of each person as they all serve a different purpose. (hey it's NOT always -10 here and snowing)

so how the heck do i store these in a way that doesn't take up a ton of room and we can lal asily find and pout bck what we need? i have tried stacking bins, one for each person... but it seems to take up lots of room. (and it looks kinda junky too)

i need something not too expensive too. any creative iodeas out there?

thanks!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 01:44 PM

How about those big round hat boxes?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:42 PM

I had to do this to house all of my dd's cute hats that she wears with outfits because having them in her room she never wore them. So I went to Hobby Lobby and get these cute square box's taht have lids. I got 2 of them, one for her shoes and one for her hats and stuff like that. It has worked perfect as I ahve been able to put them right by the back door and can grab one when I want it.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:52 PM

We use baskets, but that might not work for knit hats since they can get caught and create a pull. But so far we haven't had any problems--maybe the cloth-lined baskets. You can usually find them at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 PM

I have a clear plastic over-the-door shoe holder that we keep our hats/gloves/etc in. Easy to see what there is without digging, doesn't take up much space, and it's the perfect size to boot
Old 10-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ooooooo, I like that over the door hanger idea!

We have a coat rack.....and hanging from that I have a large tote with scarves and hats.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 PM

A family I know has a nice dresser by the door and in it are kept gloves and hats and whatever else they need on the way outside.

Am trying to talk dh into buying me a neat old dresser but $$ is the thing stopping us :LOL
Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for mentioning the dresser for hat storage! I HAVE a dresser next to the door, and I just emptied one of them and now have a much better place for these items! WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT?!?!?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 PM

we use cloth lined baskets. each family member has one. I like the shoe rack idea. I love the dresser idea too...but we don't even have one in our bedroom $$$$$
Old 10-13-2005, 07:28 AM

In our entry way closet (in the back corner) we have a plastic milk crate thingy from Target that has dh and my gloves and scarves. In front of that is dh's big boots. On the side of that is a wooden shoe rack/shelf that has the dc and my shoes. In front of that is a lined half basket ( has 1 round side and 1 flat side ) that the dc share for their gloves, scarves and some hats. Right below where the dc jackets hang, I hung 2 pegboards, the top one is for all of dh's hats and the bottom one is for the dc. Its so easy for the kids to put their own stuff away....and all I have to do is slide the door closed and it all disappears
I also like the old dresser idea!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

I like a bench that also is a mitten box.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elelvee
I like a bench that also is a mitten box.
Do you mean a bench that the seat goes up and there is a box there for storage
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Banned

If you want to go really cheap and don't want to use a dresser, sand off a 2X4 and paint. Paint or stain a bunch or wooden clothes pins. Nail or screw wooden clothes pins in a row alternating pointing down and pointing up, along the 2X4. Then hang near the door.

Use the clothespegs to hold the scarves and hats.

I wrote to alternate pointing up or down, because the open end works well as a hook to hang things like hats on, pointing up will cover itself with the scarf/mittens. Might be more pleasing to the eye that way, but any way will work.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM

I also use an over-the-door organizer thing, but rather than your standard shoe bag, it has way more storage. It's made of some stretchy mesh fabric and covers the whole inside of the door, top to bottom, and each pocket is a double - meaning there's a large pocket and a smaller one in front of it. We keep hats, gloves, scarves, earmuffs, etc. in it. It's also great for other things you grab on the way out the door - sunblock in summer, car keys, etc. It takes up almost no room at all. Best thing I ever got!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:15 PM

We use one of those canvas sweater hanger things, like a shoe hanger, only wide enough to hold folded sweaters... it's great, andholds a ton,there's anough compartments to put separate them by "things".. hats in one, gloves, scarves, etc... maybe when we have a bigger family, each person will get their own

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:19 PM

We use the plastic zipper case deal our comforter came in, it fits neatly in the closet. It takes a bit of digging to find what you need, but I pin gloves together with a Gerber diaper pin so pairs are easily accessable

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 11-06-2005, 12:23 AM

Ours are in a mop bucket sitting on the floor of the coat closet. After the gloves dry out (we put them on registers when they come inside) we fold the gloves in on each other like you do socks, then toss them in the bucket.

I do get all the same gloves for everyone, plain black ones, so noone argues over who's who's and they can just grab a pair and go.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:36 PM

Momtol&a, that's the kind of box-bench that I mean.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Ours is in a plactic basket at the bottom of the stairs.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:16 PM

We use an old toybox of mine that I had growing up. It is a plain wood box with a padded seat. Great for putting on shoes, storage for hats & mittens, and a great place for the pup to sit on when he needs his leash (so we don't have to bend down so far).

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

Old 11-09-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzmeg
I have a clear plastic over-the-door shoe holder that we keep our hats/gloves/etc in. Easy to see what there is without digging, doesn't take up much space, and it's the perfect size to boot

This is EXACTLY what we use here, too. I also roll up my scarves and put them in there. Perfect!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 AM

okay, this isn't high-tech, but I just got a very tall basket to place under our hall table. This will house scarves, hats, etc., for winter. I'm thinking of "corralling the mess" which is something I heard this weekend at a conference.

User Tag List