Toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-11-2005, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i used to have a system where each sort of toy had its own bin, and then I rotated them. The dc always had some sort of blocks, and then dinos, or cars, or whatever. Well, my 3yo and 19 mo dragged all the bins out of the closet, and they have been playing with all the toys for a few weeks now. I have a 5yo, 3yo and 19mo, all of whom like to play together and then they each have some of their own toys. I just feel like we have WAY too many toys. And Im not sure what to do. Im not sure if my system worked all that well. Why are toys so complicated for me??? Right now there are Playmobil pieces throughout the whole house....everything is a big jumble. Should I just make a giant pile and sort and get rid of what I can without anyone noticing??
#2 of 4 Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM

I have a small house with no playroom, so all the toys have always lived where we live. I have my large living room divided by a couch and had abandoned the behind-the-couch area to the kids. But it doesn't really work. Kids like to play where you are. So every now and then I get a great big urge to pitch things.

When my kids were the age of your youngest, I pitched without asking them. I found I always had a better idea of what was a good or well-loved toy than they did. (I still pitch broken things without asking them, but I have to be sneaky about it).

Once they were about 4, I let them help me decide. My friend made piles of toys she wanted to give away, then let each child rescue two. I usually just suggest that a toy is too young for them, and this usually works. I also use the line about needing room if they expect to get any birthday presents, and this works. My kids are the same age, however, so I suspect part of your problem is keeping things around for the young ones. I hope you have an attic. One trick is to get the toy packed up and in your car and ready to go somewhere as soon as they agree to part with it. If I dawdle my boys will rediscover the toy and rebond with it and it will stay in my house!

When I am not sure if my kids still want something, I have moved a toy to the basement. The kids could still find it, but if they don't find it and don't play with it, I feel comfortable giving it away.

I have plastic bins in my living room--one for legos, one for cars, one for playmobil sets, one for rescue heros and one for action figures. Everything else goes in a miscellaneous bin. I can sometimes get the kids to help me clean up more effectively if I just ask them to put the action figures back in the action figures box. (Although usually my house is a wreck).

My old nursery school teacher reminded me that this clutter is not going to last forever, and already they are getting less things out every day. Its those early years that are hard.

Other people do a lot better job of getting their kids to clean up than I do. I wonder if you absolutely require a complete clean up if this makes kids wantmore careful about how many toys they get out. Any tips anyone???

My major problem is finding someplace to take old toys. The consignment stores around here do not want them, and our local goodwill does not accept toys. My best charity has been the kids old nursery school. They will take anything gratefully.
#3 of 4 Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM

For regular toys (action figures, dolls, legos, etc) I would try Freecycle or Craigs list. Just try to age sort them and offer up a big bag of toys.
For stuffed animals and maybe some dolls, ask the local senior centers, nursing homes, and hospitals if they would like them for the elderly patients. Many nursing homes love to take stuffed animals as the seniors just love them.
-Lindsay
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2005, 03:11 PM

I didn't see! Sorry. I just posted a similar thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page