Where do you put all those shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we take off our shoes in the back hall, they just stay there until there are 20 pairs in a narrow hallway. I put a particleboard box back there, which holds some pairs, but not enough, and also we seem too lazy to use it, or something? What solutions do you guys have? I'm especially interested in tips from people who are not good at organizing - what have you come up with that is sustainable?

Thanks!

MisfitMama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moved to decluttering forum

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 15 Old 10-16-2005, 03:40 AM

:

Waiting to see the responses.

Right now my solution is to wear the same shoes everyday (priciest shoes I've ever bought, Eccos, soooo comfy). Occasionally I'll need/want to wear pumps or sandals or a different pair of flats and they'll end up piled by the front door until I get around to tossing them back in the closet.
#4 of 15 Old 10-17-2005, 01:05 AM

I'm on the hunt for something to solve our shoe pile problem as well.

I have seen a really big pan used, and it just would take a lot of practice and consistency to make sure everyone puts their shoes in their neatly. The great thing about the pan is that when it gets dirty, its easy to take outside and hose down.

Another idea I've seen is to make cubby holes - I've seen these at preschools too - where each family member has a place to hang their coat and their shoes go right below. Each cubby hole could either have the family members name, or make or cut out pictures that relate to each person in the family. Such as, "Billy likes to play soccer so his cubby hole has a picture of a soccer ball."

Also, we keep our "work" shoes in the garage. So if I'm working outside, or need my tennis shoes for a walk, I put them on in the garage. My every day shoes are kept inside. But I still need to get my act together and find something do keep them in!
#5 of 15 Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 AM

This is what has worked for us....I bought this wicker basket from Walmart : (it's a laundry basket..in the basket/craft section). I keep it by my front door....when you come in, you take your shoes off and put them in the basket.....Every once in a while (once a month or so) I take a few pairs out and put them back into our room or the kids' rooms...whereever they came from...whichever ones they arent using....
it keeps the shoes contained and the basket is cute.... HTH

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#6 of 15 Old 10-17-2005, 05:13 PM

I know this isn't frugal, but we bought a step-2brand bench. It is a flip-top bench, so it has a storage box and underneath it has a place to put more shoes. So we fill the compartment and the bottom with shoes. It's not super-tidy, but it's contained in one place and it's plastic so I can wipe it down easily. I go through it occassionally and put some of the shoes back into the closet (it's Fall now, so the sandals will go back into storage).

Boot Bench

HTH
-Lindsay
#7 of 15 Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 PM

I have a book shelf in my entry way; the first shelf is at least a foot of the ground. It's about 4 feet long. Everyday shoes go underneath, other shoes go on the first shelf, sweaters and a basket to hold gloves/scarves/hats go on the second shelf, keys and mail goes on the top shelf.
#8 of 15 Old 10-17-2005, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Right now I have a coffee table by the front door and I put a rug under it, we just slip our shoes under there. Boxes and baskets were too much to deal with, that shows you how lazy we are,lol.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#9 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 PM

I have a Rubbermaid tote by the front door (maybe not too Earth friendly...I'm working on that!)

My brother bought a house that has a mud/laundry room with built in wooden cubbies.
#10 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have these 2 benches that have drawers in them. They have two 2'X2' drawers in them. Right now they are stacked on top of each other, but they have been side by side before. We put all the shoes in them, except for the big rubber barn boots, which go in the closet in the barn, and my and dh's boots, which sit next to it. Right now there are 4 4-wheeler helmets on top if it, but I am going to have to find a new place for those, because dd#2 keeps knocking them down.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#11 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 01:09 PM

We have one of these not very natural material but it does keep all our shoes off the floor in what I used ot call our hallway which I realise now is really a very small vestibule!

This is what ours looks likewith shoes on

We have tried shoe racks, benches, piles of shoes to no avail but this is really working at the moment. I have also seen one in this style made of metal but I can't remember where.

Sapphire chan's solution is also good - jut have one pair of shoes. I live in Birkenstocks in the summer but have trouble in the winter as I wear boots and shoes and more shoes!
#12 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 01:29 PM

IKEA has great shoe racks. Ours looks like a small dresser. It's quite narrow and has four big drawers that tilt open.
#13 of 15 Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we enter through our garage so we set up a shoe rack right in the garage for shoes we wear frequently and/or seasonally (so the sandals will be there in the summer, the boots in the winter). off-season shoes are in the front hall closet. my snazzy dress shoes that i wear infrequently are in my bedroom closet.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#14 of 15 Old 10-19-2005, 05:05 AM

You can get shoe racks at a few stores:

www.hometrends.com

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/
#15 of 15 Old 11-02-2005, 04:24 AM

We have a low two-shelf bookshelf that we call the "shoe shelf," and also a big wicker laundry basket next to the door for the overflow. Our front hall is a very high-traffic area and it's awful to trip over shoes all the time. I've recently given my 7yo the job of keeping the shoes off the floor in that area. It's easy for him to toss them into the basket if he's feeling lazy, or match and line them up on the shelves if he's feeling like a neatnik.

Out-of-season shoes are promptly packed away - one plastic bin for "Summer Shoes and Rain Boots" and another for "Winter Shoes and Snow Boots".

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page