Socks without partners - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-17-2005, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to put all the socks - paired and odd - into the drawers. Then when I needed a pair of socks I'd waste time hunting through looking for two that matched.

Now we have a basket (we call it the "Lost Partner Basket") where all the odd socks go. Nothing but paired socks go into the drawers. It's wonderful to reach in and find a pair ready to wear!

Every once in a while I go through the Lost Partner Basket and match up the socks. (Ds, aged 5, has recently taken over this job.)

There are still socks without partners (where DO they disappear to?). After they've sat for long enough in the basket we use them for puppets, or for dusting.

This sounds really obvious - you're probably doing it already! - but it's made a big difference in my level of Sock Frustration.
#2 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 12:30 AM

Slight variation here, I have two baskets in my sock drawer, one for socks and one for stockings. Now that you've posted that neat-o idea I'm going to start putting lonely socks in with the tights and things.

Dh's socks are all white except for two pairs of dark dress socks. His *don't* get paired up.

Any other sock hints?
#3 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 AM

When I fold all the laundry, I match up the socks last. If I have a few socks without partners left over, I just leave them in the bottom of the laundry basket for the next time.

Usually, after a few loads, I can get them all matched up again. But if I notice that a particular sock has been divorced for a few weeks - and wasn't, in fact, just going through a trial separation - I'll trash it. (Usually just in time for it's loser partner to show up and want to get back together. :LOL )
#4 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 AM

I also have a sock lost box on top of my dryer. I can't believe how much frustration it has saved us hehe. Funny how a little thing like that helps out. All the little frustration things do add up so some type of order to me, is essential.
#5 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM

I worked in laundry at a nursing home and we did the basket thing (talk about a chore! :LOL )

A couple of other ideas...mesh bag for small socks (I have one for the babe's socks), pin the dirties together as you take them off and throw them in the hamper, buy one-size-fits-all plain white socks for everyone in the family.
#6 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626
When I fold all the laundry, I match up the socks last. If I have a few socks without partners left over, I just leave them in the bottom of the laundry basket for the next time.

Usually, after a few loads, I can get them all matched up again. But if I notice that a particular sock has been divorced for a few weeks - and wasn't, in fact, just going through a trial separation - I'll trash it. (Usually just in time for it's loser partner to show up and want to get back together. :LOL )
Same story in my house, only I have a bag I use instead of the laundry basket.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#7 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM

I got sick and tired of lost socks. It's crazy for something that gets covered by shoes and pants! So we all just have white socks. We buy good quality work socks with reinforced/padded toes and heels b/c they last longer and just throw all of the socks for each person into their own drawer (Dh's drawer, my drawer, DS's drawer). I have a couple of cute pair of socks, but hardly wear them anymore.
-Lindsay
#8 of 19 Old 10-18-2005, 11:11 PM

When I buy socks, it's usualy because every morning is sock searching hell, so I buy at least 6 pairs of the same brand and color. I makes sock matching soooo much easier.
#9 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what about socks with holes? i always forget about my hole-y socks and toss them in the wash. then the next time i go to wear them, i think "oh, i should toss these" but i wear them anyway and the cycle repeats. especially if they're my really comfy socks

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#10 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 04:52 AM

Quote:
what about socks with holes?
These go into my polishing bag under the sink. Do not pass go or collect 200 dollars!
#11 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 05:11 AM

We're another family that buys socks in large, matching batches :LOL Grab any 2 fromt he drawer and they will be a pair. It's like magic! I can't imagine how I used to deal with my multitude of cutesy, colorful socks. That was way before baby.
#12 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
what about socks with holes? i always forget about my hole-y socks and toss them in the wash. then the next time i go to wear them, i think "oh, i should toss these" but i wear them anyway and the cycle repeats. especially if they're my really comfy socks
Yep, this is me too. :LOL
#13 of 19 Old 10-19-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets

I keep a pair of scissors near where I fold laundry to cut apart holey socks into rags.
#14 of 19 Old 10-26-2005, 06:16 PM

I have nothing constructive to add. I just wanted to say I loved your thread title...Socks Without Partners.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#15 of 19 Old 11-02-2005, 04:19 AM

I have kids close in age, so it worked for us to buy a huge batch of kids' tube socks. At the moment we have two sizes - Big and Small - though at times we've only needed one size. We keep them all in a basket. DH and I both wear the same adult size tube socks except when he's at work. I have a batch of black ones, which I love, because they don't show the dirt and don't look like athletic socks.

My issue now, though, is that I can no longer get the socks I used to get (Target only carries CREW socks with the stupid heels that make them one-size-fits-no-one). Anyone know where to get nice thick white cotton tube socks in toddler/kid sizes? Ours are starting to wear thin.

With four little kids and endless laundry (2 in diapers, too) I cannot imagine trying to match socks up!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#16 of 19 Old 11-02-2005, 10:47 PM

I have a basket sitting on top of my dryer for lost socks

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#17 of 19 Old 11-11-2005, 10:47 PM

I have a garbage bag full of socks without friends shoved in the back of the closet. I really should go through them some day...
#18 of 19 Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of our socks are swingers. No partners just a whold bunch of like-minded socks living together.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#19 of 19 Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got a chuckle out of the title! I picture forlorn socks, one by one, standing and speaking, telling their stories. "Hiiii knee length..."

Swinging socks is a funny mental too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page