Closet organizing tip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been on both ends of the spectrum, from fairly tidy to well, the opposite, yet my closets have always been messy.

We are selling our house, and our realtor paid a stager to come in and place our furniture and give recommendations of what to do to make the house look better. Anyway, it was great, but the best thing for me was the closet tip she gave. She told us to go the the office store and get those inexpensive file boxes. Then we put all the stuff on the closet shelves that looks orderless into the boxes and LABEL them. She also said don't go through stuff endlessly, this is not a time to pour over old photos or report cards. I think we all know that part, but it bears repeating. Put the boxes back on the shelves with labels facing outward. Then when you are really ready to organize your photos you can just get that box down and go to town, without getting sidetracked on other stuff.

All of our closets look fantastic, and it didn't take long at all!

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 PM

That is an awesome tip, thank you for sharing it. I may have to start doing that one closet at a time. I am so wanting to get this house into shape and it is so hard to do!

Hugs
Jessica
Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just started reading the flylady (my sink is still shining from last night!)... this looks like a good place to start with my office junkyard - er, closet.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 PM

My eventual goal for my closets is to change all of them except the bedroom ones into shelves instead of a hanging bar and single shelf.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM

I like this tip. . . . Can you describe these file boxes? Are they like banker's boxes, or something else?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what bankers boxes are...they are about the size of your average sized file drawer. I bought mine at Staples, six for $6.99. They are large enough to fit a lot of stuff, and small enough to sort through quickly. They are also easy to stack and move!

My MIL says Costco has some too, If they still do (you know Costco!) I'm sure they are even cheaper. My stuff used to fall down every time I tried to get something down, so this is a great improvement!

Steph
Old 10-20-2005, 03:47 PM

Great idea w/ the boxes. 6.99 for six isn't bad....any price for things to LOOK tidy is worth it to me--well worth it to DH, that is :LOL . I can live w/ "stuff" all about...but him......well, not really.

I am going to use it for just general stuff throughout my house--closets are the least of my concerns.
I'm going to take things that are cluttered together on shelves & surfaces & put them in the boxes.....they'll look neat--and I can sort thru & re-discover stuff on a rainy day or something.

User Tag List