Drowning in paper - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how long do I need to keep all this junk? I have paystubs going all the way back to 2000. Do I really need to keep these? DH has kept every utility bill since the late 80's..... and don't get me started on the credit card receipts....

What to do? Can I shred it all and just keep a copy of finished taxes and supporting documents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM

Keep tax returns for 10 years and bills and paystubs for 1 year. After that you can shred it all. The past bills you keep to prove payment if there is ever a problem. And paystubs for a year just incase you ever need back ones for anything.

But 5 years ago, you aren't going to need those. Receipts you only need for warrenties, if it was for a piece of clothing the kids have already outgrown and you have passed it on you don't need the receipt! I save them only for big items, furniture, electronics and appliances. DVDs also just for inventory purposes because we move often.
#3 of 4 Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM

tax record should be kept 7 years and thats it. Shred anything 1998 and back.

Bills- I keep them 1 year.
paystubs- get rid of them and keep the most current one since it has year to date info anyway. W-2's are kept w your taxes so you can always check there.
bank statements- a majority of banks have this info online, shred all the others.
credit card statements- shred after 1 month
I recommend getting rid of papers as soon as possible since they are legal documents that can be used in other ways other than for you to prove it. Besides places of employment are required to keep them anyway to back up the w-2 they issued for 7 years.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 PM

Also anything related to your house -- even receipts for landscaping and other imporvemnts you make, keep until you sell the house. All those expeses go into your cost basis for figuring capital gains tax.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page