How does a frugal mama cloth diaper? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have young ones of my own, so I've been doing it for awhile, but I thought that maybe moms-to-be would like to hear different opinions of good systems, and maybe we'll get ideas for our own "stash".

With me, frugality and simplicity was key. I did not want to spend a lot of money, and I didn't want 20 different kinds of diapers. I ended up with:

18 Kissaluv size 0 and 6 Prorap seconds for newborns

12 Motherease onesize and 5 Rikki wraps in S, M, and L for older baby

2 hand-knit soakers in each size for nighttime

3 Fuzzibunz in each size to go out in (these were usually kept in and near diaper bag)

This system worked well for me, because it was quick and efficient, but not expensive. I had all of the diapers in white, so it was cheaper in some cases, and it looked uniform. All told, I think I spent about $300 to diaper 4 kids, not including the dipes that were gifts. Oh, yeah. I also had 1 dozen CPFs in infant size to use as burp cloths, extra dipes, or spit up rags.
#2 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 PM

Flat diapers in conjunction with EC. I spent $45 on the diapers, and thanks to EC, we do very little extra laundry on account of the baby.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#3 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 PM

:

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 05:23 PM

Prefolds and cheap pull ons or velcro wraps.
#5 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM

I tried the pf with covers and other systems but everytime I had a leak, or a blow out. I bought the Motherease AIO and I ended up spending less on 15 of them than all the "cheap" systems. On top of that I had my nephew's that got handed down to my oldest and then to my youngest. They have a great resale value as well so you at least make some money back.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#6 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 06:13 PM

As shower gifts, I asked for diapers. Cloth and regular. I bought lots of prefolds with any gift cards.

THEN I found the best deal on Fuzzi Bunz from slingmama.com or slingbaby.com something like that. She had the deal on the dozen including the inserts, wipes, changing pad and cute tshirt. I bought them in his 5-6mth size (20 chunky lbs) and at almost 3 he can still wear them.
#7 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Do pf work well for a toddler. I have a 32lb ds I'd like to switch to cloth. Do I need toddler size or will premiums do?

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#8 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Sabrinat, My little guy is 26 lbs and i can barely barely get a premium on him....I would highly recommend the toddler prefolds but get the indian prefolds not the chinese....the indian are wider and softer in my opinion.
On the other hand if you are just going to trifold them and stuff them into a pocket or a wrap, then the premiums would work just fine......just depends on what you want to do.....If you want to go really really frugal, you can try flats....we use them, they are cheap and easy to use and easy to wash....good luck!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#9 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 09:53 PM

I had a question about todller sizes...though my dd is 13months.
I had bought gerber prefold which had been working well and very frugal, but now that she is into large fuzzi bunz, they aren't working as well. do i need to buy actual inserts that were made for fuzzi bunz? she is constantly leaking off the sides of the diaper

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#10 of 15 Old 11-05-2005, 04:59 AM

My tip for frugal diapering? Sew your own!!

I'm sure everybody has some cotton laying around in various forms -- old t-shirts, sheets, jeans and even socks!! All of these can easily be made into diapers... and you'd only have to make them as 'complicated' as you wanted.

If you're not so sewing inclined, even a simple contour is easy to make -- or easier yet, cut up an old flannel sheet into 27"x27" squares with pinking shears (to minimize fraying) and you have a flat right there!

Ooh, and where to socks come into this? Often many men's socks (athletic ones in particular) are made from a wonder terry-like material... even if they're not 100% cotton, usually the cotton content is darn high. So, make some soaker pads out of old socks -- they can go in the inner layer of the dipe for contours, fitteds, etc.... or just make some doublers for use at nighttime or nap time.

Have a bag/box of clothes that were gifted to you, but you really can't bear the thought of wearing *that* in public? Cut up the material for diapers!! That's what I've done with a huge box of maternity clothes an aunt of dh's gave to me (nice gesture, but she told me she just wanted rid of the clothes... and after looking at the prints -- most from long ago -- and the style of the clothing, I thought I'd do my best to recycle what I could).

And then for covers, most people have made the mistake of throwing a beloved wool sweater into the washer only to have it shrink away to nothing -- don't toss the sweater, make recycled covers! There are tons of patterns out there on the net (very easy ones too!) for recycled covers. And if you've already thrown out your sweater, you can usually find something dirt cheap at a thrift shop and just felt it up on your own. ... OR! fleece! if water beads up on the fleece it is water repellent and will work as a cover, so check your house and if you can't find any, head to the thrift shop.

Diapers don't have to be organic velour with $70 longies to be 'good' diapers. They catch poop for crying out loud!!! And, by recycling materials already in your house you'll be: decluttering, recycling, reusing, saving money, and hopefully (most importantly) saving your sanity by not worrying about finding money to buy all of the diapers.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#11 of 15 Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=judybean]My tip for frugal diapering? Sew your own!!

But then you could become a diaper addict like me...

I did strat out with t-shirts and extra flannel receiving blankets.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#12 of 15 Old 11-05-2005, 08:04 PM

Oh, I completely understand. I started off using cloth to be cheaper but so far I think it's been a wash. But I figure I'm still doing better for my children and the environment so it's okay.

So even though I *haven't* been the most frugal in my diapering habits, it *can* be done. It always makes me so sad when I see mamas posting about how they can't afford to cloth diaper. It just breaks my heart! It can be *so* much cheaper than $15-$20 AIOs and beyond!!

AND... obviously last night I was thinking about this too much, but I realized I had totally forgotten to put that you can use towels and washcloths too!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#13 of 15 Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Prefolds, Bummis covers (we did have some Gerber pullons I had gotten at a garage sale until they ripped...loved 'em) and microfiber towels for extra soaker material at night.

For the PP who asked about a toddler, I'd go with toddler prefolds. My DS is 32 pounds and the premiums fit, but JUST BARELY.
#14 of 15 Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 AM

As wierd as it sounds, I actually started buying up every diaper and cover I could find at thrift stores and yardsales before I was even pregnant. I never had to buy a single new diaper. Not all were fabulous... After I had kids I was able to determine which kinds I liked best for which ages and situations. I used the same batch of diapers and covers for my 2nd child. I did buy new a diaper pial with foot pedal to open and a bag for the diaper pail that was some kind of nylon with liner (sort of water proof). I even thrifted all my training pants. My advice... start searching as early as you can.
#15 of 15 Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Another vote for recycling wool sweaters. you can make two from one sweater and I got thrift store 100% wool sweaters for $2. I lanolized it and it works great. And i just use prefolds that my sil gave me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page