Credit card applications - how to stop them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am one of those people who is drowning in paper. DH finally agreed to cancel the newspaper since we only read 2 sections of it anyway, and also agreed to let me throw out magazines older than 2 years (we had been saving decorating magazines since we are slowly remodeling just about our whole house...)

Anyway, a big part of my problem is credit card applications and mortgage refinance applications. I shred these, but with the stupid plastic card in there I have to open the thing and take it out, or else I can't recycle the shreddings. So as a result, they pile up til I can get around to it. We get at least 4 of these daily and usually more. I have a couple of grocery bags of them, waiting to be opened and shredded and I am SICK OF IT.

How can I get off the lists for this junk? All I know is that the direct marketing association list does not work for this stuff. Does anyone know how to stop it?

Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 PM

all the home re-fiance stuff we get says how to be taken of in the pre-sreened lists somewhere in the fine print
Old 10-28-2005, 01:04 PM

:

I thought there was a web link that you could opt out of all credit card applications and bulk solicitations- but I can't find the official one! Hope someone knows
Old 10-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) to have your name removed from direct marketing lists. You can also opt out online at OptOutPreScreen.com, which is the official consumer credit reporting industry opt-out website.

Hope that helps
Old 10-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Found some info on Experian...

Quote:
You may choose to exclude your name from CRA lists for unsolicited credit and insurance offers. Creditors and insurers may use file information as the basis for sending you unsolicited offers of credit or insurance. Such offers must include a toll-free phone number for you to call if you want your name and address removed from future lists. If you call, you may select to have your name removed for five years or permanently. If you select the option for permanent removal, you will be mailed a Notice of Election to Opt Out form to complete and return. The toll-free number for all of the national CRAs is 1 888 5OPTOUT (1 888 567 8688.)
http://www.experian.com/preapproved_...pting_out.html
Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Thanks Meghan...we were posting at the same time!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I knew someone here would know what to do.

User Tag List