I'm getting started...and making a little progress - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-29-2005, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few weeks back, I asked for help getting started with the chaos of my home. (Thread titled,"overwhelmed, need a starting point")There is clutter everywhere. I got some excellent, encouraging responses.

This week, my mom took my kids to Minnesota (this is the first time they've been away, and they've been gone a long time) and I didn't have to work Thursday or Friday, so I had the house to myself.

Hoping to make the most of a quiet house, Thursday, I made it through my closet. I threw out a giant garbage bag of clothes (to give away) and was able to put a bin of clothes in storage (summer/pre-pregnancy stuff).

I was exhausted after that (this pregancy is really tiring for me--even at 27 weeks)...so, I attempted to sew. I made my first fleece/microfleece pocket diaper. The snap press I bought on eBay arrived that afternoon, so with the exception of a few snaps that just didn't get pressed right, the diaper is pretty cute (plain, but I'm proud of it.)

Yesterday, it was my hope to get through my daughters room--she just has too many clothes...well, that didn't happen, but I did find the missing Yoga video from the library, did a little laundry, cleaned the toy room carpet and picked up a desk from my brother to reorganize our office. Oh, and dh and I went to a movie and grocery shopping--I think it has been at least a year since we've seen a movie. Oh, I was also able to visit my friend who just had her first baby--without the kids, it was really relaxing. I feel guilty admitting that, though.

Today, again, I was going to tackle the clothes in my daughter's room, but the sun hadn't made its way to lighten up her room (it wasn't very motivating with just the overhead light), so I started in the office instead. I sorted piles of unfiled bills/receipts/statements...tons of paper...for hours! How embarrassing to admit we had that many unfiled papers. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I've done much, but I have worked pretty hard and I think I even have a filing system in place...I have to teach dh since he is the bill payer.
I am hoping when he gets home tonight that he'll help me tackle a bit more of the office so it can be rearranged with the new desk. And, I still have the unfinished clothes issue in Alta's room.

So, thanks for the encouragement! I am hoping this is the start of "nesting", I am due in late January, but I never had an urge to nest with either of the first two--so, three months of nesting should make up for it. (And completely exhaust me before the baby comes.)

The kids will be back in the morning--I can't wait--but it has been good to get a couple things done without them trampling through everything.
#2 of 3 Old 10-29-2005, 06:58 PM

I, too, am due in January. My nesting instinct kicked in about a month ago. After finally getting my newborn stash together, I am now getting the house and the nursery in order. I know what you mean when you say that it doesn't look like you've done anything, when in fact, you have done a lot! That can be discouraging. So my solution is to write a declutter to-do list - so my satisfaction comes from checking off items. This works really well when you can't always SEE all of the hard work!
I try to just get a few major declutter things done a day... And that, combined with taking care of a 2 year old and normal daily chores (cleaning, cooking, laundry, running errands, pet care, etc.) keeps me VERY busy! I just hit the 30 week mark of my pregnancy, so that is REALLY motivating me. Plus, I want the house in good shape by Christmas, so that means decluttering AND gift buying, card writing, etc..
YIKES!
Laura
#3 of 3 Old 10-29-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I longed for the nesting instinct with the other two and it just didn't happen. One of the issues with my daughter's room is that it will be the baby's room. We haven't figured out the logistics of where clothes will go, but she has been sleeping in my son's room--sometimes they sleep together, sometimes he picks the top bunk and she is in the bottom. (Most of the time, they sleep with me and then I move them to the bottom bunk when dh is ready for bed.) We'll probably just leave Alta's things in her room and add a small dresser for the baby. At any rate, I can't see the floor because I started sorting and there are clothes everywhere!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page