Commiserate with me - it is such an uphill battle to declutter with toddlers!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2005, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or babies, or bigger kids! My biggest issue is our attached garage, which has become the dumping ground because it's inaccessible to the little ones. I have GOT to get in there and get stuff put away before winter comes, so we can put our car in there...

My 17mo is always attached to my leg when I most feel inspired to declutter. She is lately pretty sick of the sling or backpack. But in any case, if she is happy, her whiny, needy 3yo sister is not. My 3yo wants to be in sight of me and gets freaked out if I try to sneak into the garage for a bit (okay, I know I can't blame her).

And my bigger kids are easier but they are still mess machines. We homeschool, and they're...well...so INTERESTED in so many things....

I'm always intercepting to remove some thing they shouldn't have from their hands, but getting interrupted en route to returning the thing back to its rightful place, so I put it down to change a diaper or whatever and the next thing I know I've forgotten the thing and can't remember where I put it down.

Will it ever end? We moved 2.5 years ago, and I STILL have bins I haven't gone through since I packed. Thankfully I was pretty organized, and I can usually find what I need, but I really want to weed through stuff once and for all.

Did I mention that none of my kids nap, and I crash into bed with them and they get up when I get up in the morning, so I can't even steal a little time while they're sleeping? Attachment parenting is wonderful, but I think it's reasonable to blame my clutter on it.

Tell me I'm not alone, please!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 PM

I know it's HARD! I cleaned the garage out last Saturday when dh was home to watch them. I absolutely forbade him from letting the kids into the garage. It took a few hours but the garage looks so much better now-- and 2 carloads of stuff to Goodwill, 1 to resale shops.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 11-03-2005, 09:35 PM

I've always wondered how people have clean homes AND happy children.. I think I've asked that here a few times, too
I just don't get it..

It's the same way for me.. I might be able to distract dd (almost 1) with her little dollhouse & blocks for a short period of time, but it's never long enough for me to actually complete anything. Maybe just long enough to put away a load of laundry. I hate having to take a break just as I'm getting into it! I would love to have a whole day with DH to just tackle this house & get it in shape!

Thanksgiving is my deadline~ my family is coming over to our house this year and it's going to be spotless, one way or another!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 11-04-2005, 12:10 AM

Sometimes I honestly think I ought to hire a babysitter for a day just so dh and I can clean/declutter the house. I don't know how other people keep a clean/organized house with toddlers around. I can't ever seem to shake loose long enough to really tackle my list of projects. And whenever I do have downtime, I certainly don't want to spend it down in the basement going through junk! On top of all the decluttering I can't seem to get to, I also can't seem to stay on top of just the ordinary daily tasks of keeping a clean house. It seems like every time I turn around, there are more books/toys/crumbs/clothes to clean up that the boys have strewn around the house.

On Halloween, our neighbors came by with their 22 month-old son before we were yet prepared for trick-or-treaters. Our living room was a nightmare - cheerios everywhere, crackers here and there, toys and books just all over the place, and both boys hanging out in t-shirts and coverless cloth dipes. I was mortified at the wreckage that was my home. My consolation was that since these people were the parents of a toddler they probably lived the same way. So when we stopped by their house for trick-or-treating about an hour later, I was amazed to see how beautiful and clean their home was! I honestly do not know how they do it. Or how anyone does it. My little boys are like clutter machines and I cannot keep ahead of them.

OTOH, my children do seem to be very happy, and I spend a lot of time just hanging out with them when I guess I could be cleaning up.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:56 AM

I can't do it. I love the adage "Keeping a clean house with small children is like shovelling during a blizzard" or something like that . I have come to the conclusion that if I want a happy family, we have to have some tolarance for untidiness. I could probably try harder but in my experience, I just make myself and everyone miserable as I hate cleaning!!! I've been trying to tackle the basement for ages as well as the toys and clothes. I just can't get anything done.

Yes, I have no solutions just some commiseration .
Old 11-04-2005, 02:53 PM

I constantly lament this. I have a messy 10 y.o ds, and then 2 tornado causing toddlers, 3 & 2 and and princess who wants to be in the sling or on my hip at all times...making it difficult to clean effectively.
Not to hijack. But I feel defeated by the clutter and I think it will never improve! But slowly I'm getting ride of stuff.
Hang in there!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 11-04-2005, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, hijack away! That is what this is all about - convincing me it's not just me, LOL.

You've got very close in age babies, too, Sabrina. That presents unique challenges in itself. My house never had a chance to bounce back between babies, LOL.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 11-04-2005, 03:37 PM

You're preachin to the choir sister!!!! boy, do I know this all too well......I've decided that this year for school we are going to use the library for our curriculum.....we are only concentrating on reading......so therefore, we borrow books, we take them back and I have a library "box" at home where we keep those books....that's my only piece of "advice". I think this is just how it's gonna have to be til all the kids are a little older. I think it's possible to be less cluttered IF you are willing to utterly and completly simplify your house.....get rid of EVERYTHING that is not being used on a daily basis....but that's really hard and is not always conducive to being "frugal"....as you may throw something away or give something away you will eventually need again and have to go out and buy.....ughhh....it's tough...sorry not much help but I can empathize....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Hi, I'm Stephanie and I have two toddlers - one is 36 years old and one is 21 months old

Ugh, it's never ending. I give up on picking up toys until after ds1 goes to bed. Then if dh can't be persuaded to pick up after himself I will. Luckily my littlest one (6wks) has yet to cause a mess As soon as I vacuum or sweep, there are crumbs everywhere. I got this little shelf with bins in it for ds1's toys and he hears me picking them up and putting them away and promptly comes in and dumps all four bins back on the floor.......

I give up on having a clean house until they move out LOL!

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
Old 11-05-2005, 02:32 AM

amen
I've been going hard at it for 3 months,
found a decluttering professional but how to schedual her and have dh at home or a sitter its nuts!
I put it away they take it out to play or worse make big messes while I am doing some 'good'....

8 might be enough
Old 11-08-2005, 05:31 AM

I have the same problem. Only I have a room where the stuff gets shoved for now. It's so cluttered now you can't even enter the room. Stuff dh wants to yardsale, stuff for the goodwill, stuff to store for later. One day I will spend naptime up there rearranging.
One thing I do try to do, though, is when I find more stuff to get rid of, I put it in a bag in the trunk of the car so I can take it to goodwill next time I'm in town. That helps some. And keeps dh from deciding to keep some of the things I want to get rid of.
Our house is always a mess. If I know someone is coming over, I put everything away or at least hide it. Otherwise I figure it just will be that way til dd is older.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 PM

I run around in circles--picking things up off the floor & all surfaces all day long it seems. At times, I give up & just let it be---then I have a huge disaster to deal with---yet I can't be always picking up....there must be a balance. Maybe just 2x a day?? (with one of the 2x being at night when they go to bed)
Old 11-15-2005, 01:00 AM

We have one room that's designated for all of the toys. It's the one room that I "let go." Yes, I clean it from time to time, but I don't care if DD pulls all of the toys off the shelf. I try to keep the toys from sneaking out of the playroom. I usually have to help them find their way back downstairs a few times a day.

Our garage is currently FULL of boxes and bags for Goodwill. Now, in my defence, they ARE all organized. For us, it's just finding the time to bring everything down there. DH is always so tired on his days off, bleh.

As for decluttering the house, we usually have my MIL over to distract the kiddos for the day. Oh, and we had my BIL staying with us for a week or so, shortly after we moved, and he took it upon himself to totally organize the garage while I was napping with the baby one day (the only reason it's tidy in there). It was awesome.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:00 AM

I think its incredibly difficult if you don't have family nearby to come over and support you. This is my excuse, anyway. I only have on ds, but he is 14 mos and busy, busy, busy. The only thing I do that helps some days is I try to pick up in one room before we move to the next room (since he is generally in the hallway or in whatever room I'm in). But I swear I must have put our Ikea shoe rack back together 5 times today. I try to do cleaning tasks that he's interested in while he's awake (vacuuming, washing dishes with him watching, cutting veggies while he plays with water in the sink, emptying the dishwasher while he "empties" the spoons out of the cutlery rack). this helps a bit. I also spend about an hour in the evening cleaning / tidying. We don't have that much to declutter, but when I was tidying a room in the basement the other day I gave him assorted interesting objects to carry around / play with while I sorted through one section of the room and then put them away when he was bored with them. But I can imagine that with 2 or 3 to distract it would be more complicated. And dh is always complaining that the house is not up to snuff. I admit it, its not. I should really let him try it for a week

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 11-20-2005, 03:34 AM

I would ask an older girl (11-14 years old) in the neighborhood or from my church to come over and be a mother's helper for the morning on a day when school is out. My kids love to play with the big girl, and I can get lots done.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:45 AM

I have a 26 mos old and a 11mos old..both very busy boys. We live in a 700sq foot home with only two bedrooms :
I have been on a decluttering frenzy lately. In the past week Ive given away over 200 items to freecycle. Including a glider and ottoman, bouncey seat, walker and tons of other stuff. I also have a home buisness that takes up a ton of room! Ive really restricted my orders so I can control that chaos.
My house looks TONS better than it did a week ago! Its been an amazing transformation.
What I do is bring one box of 'stuff' into the living room and throw the contents into appropriate boxes, bags or trash then list on freecycle what we havent used in 6mos and cant forsee using in another 6 mos, throw away the junk and pack up the rest. It feels so good to declutter!
I also went through the kids toys....geez they have a lot of toys!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 AM

[QUOTE=mykdsmomy]You're preachin to the choir sister!!!! boy, do I know this all too well......I've decided that this year for school we are going to use the library for our curriculum.....we are only concentrating on reading......so therefore, we borrow books, we take them back and I have a library "box" at home where we keep those books....that's my only piece of "advice".

Our library basket gets raided before the return and we don't find out until we're hit with the fine at next checkout. They may have us on a "most wanted" poster by now...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyMom2in2
I have a 26 mos old and a 11mos old..both very busy boys. We live in a 700sq foot home with only two bedrooms :
I have been on a decluttering frenzy lately. In the past week Ive given away over 200 items to freecycle. Including a glider and ottoman, bouncey seat, walker and tons of other stuff. I also have a home buisness that takes up a ton of room! Ive really restricted my orders so I can control that chaos.
My house looks TONS better than it did a week ago! Its been an amazing transformation.
What I do is bring one box of 'stuff' into the living room and throw the contents into appropriate boxes, bags or trash then list on freecycle what we havent used in 6mos and cant forsee using in another 6 mos, throw away the junk and pack up the rest. It feels so good to declutter!
I also went through the kids toys....geez they have a lot of toys!
My house is getting there!!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...16109EbuWTFy1s
(some of my supplies for my buisness)

User Tag List