Dayplanner mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else use a dayplanner (DayTimer, Franklin Covey, etc.) to keep their lives organized? Finances, schedule, phone #s and addresses . . . I keep it all in there. I have gone back and forth between the smaller binder (4.25" x 6.75" page size) and the large size (5" x 7" pages) over the last few years, depending on what was going on in my life--so I have both binders, and just need to order my pages for next year.

My issue is, I am going from a full-time on-call massage practice to full-time stay-at-home Mom, and don't know what size to order for that! I am assuming that I won't need to keep track of as many daily appointments as I currently do (*grin*), and it would certainly be easier to transport the smaller binder along with diaper bag, baby, etc.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 AM

I like that Amy Knapp family planner. It's awesome! I'll try to find a link and post back.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#3 of 29 Old 11-08-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, sabrinat . . . I searched online and found the webpage for the Amy Knapp planner. And it even comes in a format that is punched to fit my Franklin Covey binder!

Now, if only they had some pictures of what the pages look like, so that I could get a general idea . . .
#4 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 12:25 AM

I bought one recently and really like it. Amazon and BN.com also carry it, so if you were ordering other stuff you could save the shipping charge. The only thing I don't like is that there's not too much room to write stuff in for each day, since it's a week at a glance. But any week at a glance plannr wopuld have that problem, and I'm still finding it very useful. Did you see this page?

http://www.thefamilyorganizer.com/alookinside.php

That's exactly what it looks look inside, plus it has the whole month on two pages at the beginning of each month. And there are extra features, like planning pages for the next year when you get close to December, etc.

I like it, and I'd recommend if you think you'll use the menu planning and grocery list features. If not, you might want to go with the old standbys so you have more room to write in each day.

Melissa

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#5 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 AM

I have and really like the Amy Knapp planner. I usually use the grocery list for lists of other sorts, depending on my needs.
#6 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm . . . I do like the grocery list column, but still worry that a week-at-a-glance format will be too cramped for me to use. I have always had two pages per day--and although I don't always use the extra writing space, I sometimes FILL it!

Maybe I will post over in the SAHM forum and see what they say over there?

And thanks for the link, melissel--I am a BIG Amazon shopper (love that free shipping on orders over $25!), so if I end up going with the Amy Knapp organizer I will definitely buy it there.
#7 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 PM

I use Franklin covey and love it. Been using it for the past 6 years. What I didn't like about the other ones is the fact I can't add and subtract pages. With the covey (or a dayplanner) I can add sections. For instance, I have a birth, prenatal, postpartum section to list all my visits, one section just for directions to houses, one section to list gift ideas for christmas and a christmas checklist, one section for grocery list, a blank section just to jot down notes. I also like having a 2 page spread for each day, athough I don't always keep up with that. I should, but I don't And that is why i forget to send in papers at school, snack day, etc. etc. That's how I feel most of the time!
#8 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 10:44 PM

Melissa, thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to get that planner!

Birth Junky, I'm a SAHM and I live by my planner. Pathetic, I know, but you would be surprised how many playdates, playgroups, doctor appointments, etc. one SAHM can have!
#9 of 29 Old 12-01-2005, 02:11 AM

I finally broke down and upgraded to a Palm Zire. (I had an old palm, but not compatable with my mac). I find it so much easier to tote around than a full planner. They are fairly affordable if you don't want wireless, mp3, etc, etc...
#10 of 29 Old 12-01-2005, 07:25 PM

After reading this thread, I ordered the Amy Knapp family planner and I LOVE it! Thanks for the recommendation! It's great!
#11 of 29 Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 PM

That's awesome, I'm so glad you like it! I never had much use for a planner when I only had one kid, but when the second came along, I really needed to get more organized. My DH had an old Palm, but I just need hard copy, I can't deal with gadgets. Someone tried to arrange a co-op for the Knapp planners on the Co-op and Swap board and there wasn't enough interest to reach the bigger discount, but that's how I got hooked

Melissa

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#12 of 29 Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel so uncool. I just use a calendar on the wall to keep track of appts, a piece of scrap paper stuck to the fridge for stuff I need to buy (groceries, etc). All my addresses/phone numbers are in Microsoft Outlook or programmed into my phone. You guys really use a day planner enough to justify buying one? (that's not meant to be snarky).
#13 of 29 Old 12-08-2005, 01:43 PM

We recently started using the Yahoo calendar for our family calendar and it's great! DH is a SAHD and I work full time. We were really having trouble figuring out who had to go where and coordinating things at work and home. Since the Yahoo calendar is on the web (and it's free!) I can update it from work as soon as I know I have a class or something outside my normal work hours and he DH can put in any school or work events as soon as he is aware of them. And we both have ready access to it throughout the day to check and see what is going on and who needs to be where. It can also do repeating events-- like every Friday DD has gym and needs to have her gym shoes, etc. It's really a lot better than the paper calendar we used to use-- we'd forget to put things on it, or something would come up at work and I couldn't check to see what was going on at home before committing.
#14 of 29 Old 12-12-2005, 08:47 PM

I've been looking at daytimers...thanks for the links. Rebecca you're not that out of the loop. What I"m doing isn't working now that I'm working outside the home 2days per week, working at home 3, and being director over the school age children for worship at my church. I'm afraid I'm going to forget something. Maybe I need a bigger brain. teehee The older I get the less I remember or maybe it's because the busier I get the less I remember. Not sure (I actually typed in bigger I get...lol rofl) oops. Off the check out the links. Thanks mamas. I should have known there be great links here. Now what to do about my cluttered house I've been decluttering for over a year and it'sstill a mess??

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#15 of 29 Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
You guys really use a day planner enough to justify buying one? (that's not meant to be snarky).
I have 4 kids (one who plays sports year round...ugh!), myself and my dh to keep up with...not only can I justify it, but I have 2!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#16 of 29 Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwinegall
I have and really like the Amy Knapp planner. I usually use the grocery list for lists of other sorts, depending on my needs.
I also like the Moms On The Go,I have Amy Knapp planner by the phone and the Moms on The Go in my bag...
#17 of 29 Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 AM

I use a Covey planner. When I was working, I used to use the large binder, the refillable sheets, etc, but now I simplified to a classic size on a spiral ring notebook. It works for me, but I don't have my addresses in it.

That's really where I'm struggling, with the addresses and contact info. Right now, I'm trying to put them in my outlook contacts, so when I need something, I know where it is.
#18 of 29 Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 PM

I just bought the Amy Knapp one it's so awesome. I've been looking at them and thanks to you mamas found the best one. Happy new Year mamas.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#19 of 29 Old 12-31-2005, 05:48 PM

After reading Totally Organized by Bonnie McCullough I went and found my old Buxton day planner from high school, got refills and am now fixing up the binder as Bonnie recomends.

I like all the info she recomends you keep there plus having the ability to write something down instead of "oh I'll just remember that"

Also instead of having all that paper laying around because of them having info you want to remember, write it down in the note section of your planner. Less clutter and no more loosing those scraps

I am so happy to get organized
#20 of 29 Old 01-01-2006, 01:54 PM

what sections do you have in your planners? i have an old one that takes the day timer portable pages, about 3.5x6.5 i think, but i havent used it in years.... besides the monthly claendar, nots and phone numbers, what else do you guys have? oh and no kids, so the 2 page per week always worked for me before

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#21 of 29 Old 01-02-2006, 08:31 PM

I have a Franklin Covey planner and I love it! I write my to do list for the next day every night before I go to bed. There's enough room on the daily pages to write down phone numbers of people I need to call, topics to discuss with them, etc.

One of my favorite parts of the pages (because I'm an organizing freak ) is that there are columns to rank the items in the to do list by priority. And another column to check them off.

I haven't seen the Amy Knapp planners so I cannot comment on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh
what sections do you have in your planners? i have an old one that takes the day timer portable pages, about 3.5x6.5 i think, but i havent used it in years.... besides the monthly claendar, nots and phone numbers, what else do you guys have? oh and no kids, so the 2 page per week always worked for me before
The tabs that I have include:
~ Monthly tabs
~ Tasks tab
~ Personal tab
~ Notes tab
~ Address tabs

Monthly -- has two pages for each month and I have two pages for each day. Although, if you'd like, you can order 2 pages for each week from Franklin Covey if you don't have enough to do for 2 pages for each day. Clear as mud?

Tasks -- I don't really use this one, but the sheets have 2 small columns to rank things by priority and to check them off.

Personal -- most of these are pages I bought seperately because I need them: Check register pages, party planner pages, menu/shopping list pages, auto information/servicing pages, recommended books page, website tracker page, and other pages I don't use.

Notes -- blank pages

Addresses -- self explanatory.
#22 of 29 Old 01-12-2006, 04:44 PM

I've got a day planner... I looked at two different family organizers, but they were both a heck of a lot more expensive than the one I ended up with and they seemed geared towards families with older children who were in school/lots of activities (my kids are younger and homeschoolers). i'm not sure what it's called, but it was very inexpensive ($3.50) and it certainly does the trick. I use it for everything-- doctors appointments, classes, phone calls that I need to make, etc. I use the "To Do" section for all kinds of lists, but the grocery list is stuck to the fridge (so that Mike can add to it when he thinks of something).

If it had a file for coupons, it would be absolutely perfect...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#23 of 29 Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 PM

hey, i just got home from Target and bought me one of those franklincovey organizers. I sure hope it helps. I have prenatal appts. to remember, along with my sons therapy appts and doc appt. meetings for different things...school field trip days...WOW, hope it works! Thanks for the opinions.
#24 of 29 Old 01-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Birth Junky, not sure if you will check back, but i use FranklinCovey, Monticello, 1 Page-Compact.
This is small enough to toss in an outing bag, but not too small to get lost. Each day is on one page. When using a two page spread, I found I was wasting alot of paper. (or maybe I just do not take enough notes ) This gives me a smaller notes section, but still has the appointment schedule and daily task list. One last thing, I can fit more pages in my binder, since each day only takes up one page.
Good Luck and Congratulations!
#25 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315
I have a birth, prenatal, postpartum section to list all my visits, one section just for directions to houses, one section to list gift ideas for christmas and a christmas checklist, one section for grocery list, a blank section just to jot down notes. I also like having a 2 page spread for each day, athough I don't always keep up with that. I should, but I don't And that is why i forget to send in papers at school, snack day, etc. etc. That's how I feel most of the time!

That's a really great idea bout the birth, prenatal and postpartum section; I'm currently using a Franklin Covey myself and expecting my second...I had been working but now staying home in anticipation of this one and will be planning to be a full time mom for a while...May I ask how you divy up for the prental/birth/postpartum...I'm at a lost at the moment organizing my FC to fit my new "life" and trying to be creative with the sections and refills....would a 7 ring refillable fit with a 3 ring binder?

Busy Woman Dayplanner had some great refills that FC (Franklin Covey) doesn't have and trying to figure out a way to balance things out.
#26 of 29 Old 02-15-2006, 03:40 PM

I used a Franklin Planner for years (probably 10+) until last christmas I received a PDA I love it, and I sync it online with hotmail. I really don't know what I would do without it, I plan once a week, make tasks with and without deadlines, and even make notes and draw pictures!
#27 of 29 Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM

My spouse is trying to talk me into getting a PDA but I think it'll work better for him than me...

I'm too much of a visual person and need to have a pen or pencil in hand so I can sketch if I needed to and some of the things I need to keep organize...sigh...just couldn't see myself with a PDA...lol

I'll catch up to the real world soon...lol..I think...

Finally figured out that I can combine refills from Franklin Covey with that of a 3 ring dayplanner so I can really customize it by cutting sketching paper in half and then punching 3 holes in them...Just need something for being on the go and when traveling.

Right now I'm searching for printable prenatal and postnatal fillers that I can use...I have two kids (soon to be two kids) to keep up with and we're in the process of designing three rooms in our house so I need to be able to juggle the information and even the paint samples we have.
#28 of 29 Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 AM

tendersea- it really is like having a pen and pencil, I draw and sketch all the time... and it really helps organize me. Heck! I even do my grocery shopping list on it!

Plus it has pocket word and excel, so you could do things like have a list of prenatals and postnatal info. I charted on it when TTC, and even uploaded pictures of fabric samples when going to shop for some new plaids and prints that I'm making diaper covers with.
#29 of 29 Old 02-17-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLizK
tendersea- it really is like having a pen and pencil, I draw and sketch all the time... and it really helps organize me. Heck! I even do my grocery shopping list on it!

Plus it has pocket word and excel, so you could do things like have a list of prenatals and postnatal info. I charted on it when TTC, and even uploaded pictures of fabric samples when going to shop for some new plaids and prints that I'm making diaper covers with.
Really? How neat...that is pretty useful.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page