Help! I'm buried under piles of baby clothes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alrighty - for being so poor, we have sooooooooooo many baby clothes.... We have two boys. I have mostly bought clothes from the thrift store, tons have been given to us as hand me downs, and our little ones maybe have 10 'new' store bought outfits. But the fact is that I just have way too many clothes!

I have four boxes that I've organized into 0-6m, 6-9m, 12-24m, and then a box of everything that is too big. My in-laws bought my 21 month old clothes for his first birthday, great, only they are sizes 3, 4, and 5!

Now that we have a new babe, just 6 weeks old, he was a huge one at 10lbs 15oz at birth and 14lbs 4oz at one month... so I have a bunch of clothes he never got to wear, and he's wearing some of his brother's things, but ds1 was in 3-6m during the summer, and I need 3-6m winter for ds2. So I find myself under piles of clothes!

I have a friend who is pregnant and I plan on going through everything and only keeping our favorite outfits in each size/season.

Ok, so the thing is that I have this complex where I don't want to give any of them away in case we need them! I know this is ridiculous, ds2 will never wear all the clothes we have from ds1.

So how many outfit's/clothes do you think a 6wk old newborn and a 21 month old toddler need per week? I have different kinds of clothing too, lightweight pants, sweatpants, jeans/khakis, overalls, one piece jersey material outfits, shirt sleeve shirts, lightweight long sleeve shirts, sweat shirts, sweaters, fleeces...... Then the babe has pants, shirts, sleepers, and hadagis, with only a couple matching outfits...

Can anyone help me decide on how many of each to keep???? I'm so worried I'm not going to have enough - but that's so silly, I could just wash the dirty clothes! LOL My kids could seriously go a whole month without wearing the same outfit twice.... and of course space is an issue!

TIA!

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#2 of 4 Old 11-09-2005, 12:07 AM

I just wanted to offer a hug. My dd is 13 months and we too have way too many clothes. I have a clothing obsession I think. Very few things are bought brand new by me, but I do love thrift shops and MIL buys her a LOT of clothes. I have gotten to the point where I am keeping my fave outfits and selling or giving the rest of it. I know that if I keep it all, even if the next one is also a girl, we will have to have new clothes for her.

I like to be able to do her laundry about every 2 weeks so that determines how many I would want MINIMUM, but she could likely go over a month without wearing the same outfit twice.

When she was little, I liked to have at least 2 if not 3 outfits per day and tried to do her laundy once a week. But would sometimes go longer as we had so many clothes then as well!

Good luck hon
#3 of 4 Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Depending on how often you do laundry, I'd keep about 2-3 outfits per day. So if you only do laundry once a week, 15-20 outfits AT THE MOST. If you do it more often, even less.
#4 of 4 Old 11-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Good luck!
I also wanted to say-I went thru all ds's clothes and sold them on cheapcycle- it was lots easier than dealing with ebay and it got it all done at once. If you just want them out of there.
Emilie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page