Talk to me about toy storage. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're looking for a new toy storage system. Our house is little, and we store most toys in our main living area. I was just going to get one of those shelves that has the colored plastic bins, but now DH says he doesn't like the "look" of it.

So what other systems are out there? I definitely want something with compartments, so we can separate the different kinds of toys. Any ideas?

thanks,
Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 AM

If you do a deep bookcase you could get wicker baskets to store things in. If you look at pottery barn kids you can get an idea and then go to IKEA or someplace and get cheaper things. Something sort of like this

Pottery Barn Kids

We had the plastic thingie for a while and now it's in the basement but it works great. Pottery Barn kids also has something called Bulk Bins which I think look neat too, perhaps your dh is handy and could make these?

Bulk Bins

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#3 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 02:59 AM

Moved to Decluttering, Organizing, & Simplifying

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 PM

Target has low shelves that hold canvas drawers that we use. I really like them because they are low and create a nice surface for play on top and they are more stylish looking than the plastic bins (which I was originally looking at)
joline
#5 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 03:05 PM

Depending on the types of toys, IKEA Fangst hanging storage is awesome (and frugal!)
#6 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 PM

I got a toy shelf/bookcase at the local unfinished furniture store. You can paint or stain them any color you want. It looks sort of like this picture in the link, but it's wider and has more compartments. It is low so it sits right under a window ledge in the living room, and it looks like furniture. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/1unfinis...ture/234w.html
He can see all his toys at a glance, and doesn't have to pull everything off in order to get at sometihing. When I run out of room, I take some toys and put them away or upstairs in another toy box. I love it!
#7 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM

WE have the Ikea Bonde system, which is a cubical type bookcase/entertainment center thingy that has matching bins, etc. I found a link:

I tried the link and it didn't work. Just go to Ikea.com and use the alphabetized list to get to Bonde if you want to look at it.

We have it in white, with four cubby units across without doors, and an entertainment unit that provides a nice big low slot for the dollhouse or garage depending on what's in use at the moment.

What's pictured on the link doesn't look much like what we have. Without the doors that you buy seperately it is much more of a cubby looking thing. It holds tons of toys and books. We keep our (large collection) of wood blocks along the two bottom shelves, other toys my 3 dc use all the time such as the dinos, the potato heads, the tools, and whatever else is big for the moment and that they put away themselves (this is key to me) on the thrid rwo from the bottom. The upper cubbies hold baskets with contain all the stuff I want them to ask for--things with small pieces.

It's a great system--neat, organized and the kids maintain it themselves now.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#8 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 05:46 PM

One of my favorite garage sale snags was at a sale held by the owners of a local stationery store. They were downsizing and selling lots of their merchandise shelving. I scored this clear acrylic unit with thirty openings that had held different colors of paper. Turned upside down, it is now thirty perfect bins for stashing smallish items like cars and blocks. It's compact and attractive, and it makes for easy clean up. And, it only set me back $5!

Wouldn't hurt to call a stationery store in your area (or all of them) and see if you can't find one.
#9 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 03:25 PM

You could always use the colored bins on shelves (that dh doesn't like) but find some nice fabric to make gathered curtains that hang down in front of it.
#10 of 20 Old 11-15-2005, 12:54 AM

We have an Ikea storage system, with wicker baskets. It hides the toys, and looks more adult that plastic bins. My only suggestion would be to skip the Ikea wicker baskets, they're overpriced at $20 each. We got a good deal at our local hardware store, when they were having a sale. We picked up a bunch of baskets for $5 each (and they've since gone down in price even more). It pays off to look in unexpected places, sometimes.

The Ikea system we have is modular, and we've added onto it over the years. We have a few cubes that have doors, now, so that we can hide some toys so that the room doesn't look overwhelmingly busy with toys.

Definitely check out Ikea, for affordable ideas. They have a ton of stuff. Our whole playroom is furnished with Ikea stuff.
#11 of 20 Old 11-16-2005, 01:28 AM

We're working on this, too. Thanks.
#12 of 20 Old 11-16-2005, 07:39 PM

We're having storage issues, too.... I'm still trying to figure out what would look nice but still be very affordable. I wish we lived near an Ikea!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#13 of 20 Old 11-19-2005, 12:02 AM

Just subscribing to the thread.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#14 of 20 Old 11-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug
If you do a deep bookcase you could get wicker baskets to store things in. If you look at pottery barn kids you can get an idea and then go to IKEA or someplace and get cheaper things. Something sort of like this

Pottery Barn Kids
the daycare center i work at uses this system more or less, but on a lot simpler scale of course. even the toddlers know where their toys go when theyre done with them

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#15 of 20 Old 11-19-2005, 05:52 PM

I have Ikea Trofast bins. We stained ours and they look great. We have the one that had three levels, kind of like stairs.
#16 of 20 Old 11-19-2005, 06:19 PM

I saw those trofast bins in the stair setup. I wondered though if the bin would be really heavy when full of toys. Since you have one, you can tell me!!! Can a two year old put it away? Or is it more a system for YOU to organize their stuff?
#17 of 20 Old 11-19-2005, 06:51 PM

You can get small size bins. I have all three sizes and it really organizes the toys, the bigger bins for assorted balls and cars. The smaller bins for a certain toy, ie. Mr Potato Head or food toys etc. The kids can and do carry them around. They can put them into the system, no big.

Doreen
#18 of 20 Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 AM

I am in process. I have lucked out and found some 3 shelved storage units that are mean't for shoes and things, they are a good height and i can use most my my wicker baskets with them. I have two shoe ones, and three other. my kids can see what is on the shelf which makes it easier to get and put away. I also just made some "signs" to attatch to the baskets. I glued or in some cases tied a wooden clothes pin to the basket and then attatch a card with a pic of the object to the clothes pin. i like the clothes pin idea becuase i sometimes just use part of a toy and this allows me to label the basket/ box with ease.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#19 of 20 Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzmeg
Depending on the types of toys, IKEA Fangst hanging storage is awesome (and frugal!)
Wow, that is really neat! Alas, no IKEA's near here....
#20 of 20 Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

None near me, but I found a set of three on ebay.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page