Picture negatives, keep or toss? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I still have one of those old fashioned cameras that get negatives. I also have piles of pictures with the negatives. In all my life I have never taken a single negative back to the store to get copies. Seems to me they should probably be tossed at some point. Now-a-days it seems like a pretty easy process to get a copy from the actual picture. And yet my husband goes crazy when I try to toss those old negatives. What do you think?
#2 of 10 Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me I find it easier to just keep the negatives. They really don't take up much room and while it is easier to reproduce now days from the picture what happens if the picture gets ruined? My mom used to keep all the negatives of her favorite pics and she stored them in a safe deposit box at the bank. That way if the house were to catch on fire we could still have our memories.
#3 of 10 Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 PM

I like to keep things like that at my parents house in case of fire or some other tragedy.

Czen
#4 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom
I still have one of those old fashioned cameras that get negatives. I also have piles of pictures with the negatives. In all my life I have never taken a single negative back to the store to get copies. Seems to me they should probably be tossed at some point. Now-a-days it seems like a pretty easy process to get a copy from the actual picture. And yet my husband goes crazy when I try to toss those old negatives. What do you think?
Wow, good question. I guess the trick is to keep them in an acid free box or in the kind of photo album that has space for the pictures AND the negatives, to keep them all together and sorted. So far, I keep them all but I really have a LOT of pictures...definitely not very space-saving.
#5 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 06:22 PM

You can get plastic sheets to store negatives from a photo supply store. They fit inside a binder. This could be a way to store a bunch of them in one place, plus you can label the page so you know what's what. I would definitely save them because if something happens to the original, you would want to be able to make a print.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#6 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Also, prints from prints are far, far, lower quality than reprints from negatives. Especially if you ever wanted to enlarge them.

Put the negatives in a box or a binder, and stick them in a safety deposit box or a out of the way corner of a relatives house. You might not realise how precious they are to you now, but the moment a fire, flood, or hurricane hits your house, they'll be one of the very few things that are actually irreplacable. (Believe me, I'm still sweating bullets waiting to hear if my wedding negatives survived Hurricane Katrina.)
#7 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 AM

I keep them labeled and in an acid free box. I think its a great idea to store them somewhere other then your house in case of fire or another tragedy! I am going to do that!

I saw a show called "Clean Sweep" and the host convinced the people to throw out all of their negatives. I am all for decluttering, but it just seemed like a really bad idea to me.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#8 of 10 Old 11-28-2005, 02:42 AM

keep them and not in your house. The bank is the best place. When I was 15 our next door neighbors house burned down and they lost everything including all their photos. They regretting not having the negative somewhere else because they can never get those pictures back.
#9 of 10 Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 PM

Wow- I have been throwing mine away for the last few years but am not rethinking...
Hmmm. What to do now?
#10 of 10 Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 AM

Keep in case the photos are damaged. It's best if you can organize them as you bring them home, but even unorganized is better than gone, right?!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page