What is the ONE biggest change you have made? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to know what one thing you have changed or done differently that made your house much more manageable? I'm curious as to what different moms do. Also, what household duty do you find to be your biggest waste of time?

I started throwing away something every time I brought something new home. That has helped tremendously!!
#2 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 06:51 PM

hanging out in this forum has had a huge impact on me and our home. i have never been one for clutter but i just have so many unnecessary things. i have recently decided to quit holding onto stuff (clothing that doesn't fit, dishes that i don't use, furniture in the basement that is still good but just sitting there, stuff that i someday wanna ebay) and have been taking regular trips to goodwill. so, i would say the biggest change for me is the realization and willingness to let go of "stuff." and it feels so good!
#3 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 08:19 PM

The biggest and bestest change I made 3 years ago was declutter and toss things. ITs made our life so much easier and cleaner. Its also saved money since we always think twice about buying something and bringing it into the house.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 PM

To think of my living area in a whole different way. It all started when we lived in NZ in a very small house. Rather than think, do we need this (material thing) in our house and lives, I would look at it as am I willing to give up my precious living space for this thing I am about to bring in the house.

You see space, simple space to move, breath, dance, walk, and live in has become as important to me as my material things. So I really think twice before I bring something in our house now.
#5 of 5 Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple living mama
You see space, simple space to move, breath, dance, walk, and live in has become as important to me as my material things. So I really think twice before I bring something in our house now.
This is such a beautiful way to look at it. I think that growing up in such a materialistic society has taught me (don't know about everyone else) that I should want all of these things, and that I should get as much as I can into my house.

I've found that less IS more. More time, more fun, more clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy's1st
The biggest and bestest change I made 3 years ago was declutter and toss things. ITs made our life so much easier and cleaner. Its also saved money since we always think twice about buying something and bringing it into the house.
I totally agree. We had SO MUCH STUFF until we moved. I tossed roughly 30-50% of what we had in the house and it's so much easier to live with. I'm hoping to toss more very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binxsmom
i have recently decided to quit holding onto stuff (clothing that doesn't fit, dishes that i don't use, furniture in the basement that is still good but just sitting there, stuff that i someday wanna ebay) and have been taking regular trips to goodwill.
That's what I'm working on right now!! I check this forum daily for new ideas and modivation. I think it really helps to know that I'm not the only one who has a messy place, and struggles to maintain the balance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page