SHOE overload-- need cheap solution! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With 4 children, I am having a hard time organizing shoes. Our house is two levels, and the children take their shoes off by the front door (especially in the winter-- they track in snow and the salt on the road.) Right now we use a big lined wicker basket for themto put their shoes in, but it is always a big ordeal to find matching pairs. We have a very limited space (the size of a big wicker basket really) to deal with. I have thought of putting an over the door organizer on our entry way door, but the pockets are too high off the ground for my 4 and 3 yr old. I can't spend a lot of $$. How do other people organize their shoes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2005, 12:38 PM

We use a cheap wire rack from walmart by the door - keeps them paired & off the foor, at least. Out of season shoes go in their closets. HTH!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#3 of 7 Old 11-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
I have the same problem. You've just reminded me of an idea I had years ago that I've yet to carry out. There's this stuff used as forms for casting concrete footings. Where I live it's called Sonotube. It's very heavy waterproofed cardboard tubes that comes in 8-foot lengths of various diameters from about 6" to 12". It's inexpensive. My idea was to buy a couple of 8-foot lengths of 8 or 10" diameter ones and cut it into 1-foot lengths (a hand-saw will do the trick, and if you wish you can tidy up the ends with coloured duck tape). The outside can also be painted, so using particular colours of paint and duck tape you can designate certain rounds for certain kids. Then I'd use small nuts and bolts and a small power-drill to join them together, thus assembling an array of shoe-cubbies:

oooo
oooo
oooo
oooo

The waxed/oiled interior of the tubes is basically waterproof, so I think these would stand up quite well. Don't know if it'll work for you, but I've now got myself keen on trying it out.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 AM

Minimizing how many shoes each person has available helps us. If my son only has 2 paris of shoes out, and there are none by the right door, he needs to get a pair. Life goes on, and we don't have the clutter!
#5 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 01:26 AM

Hmm, I haven't tried this but maybe using spring clothespins to pin the shoes together in your basket? maybe run a thick string in front of the basket, and when shoes come off they are clipped together?
#6 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 03:19 AM

why not use the over the door thing for you and your 2 older children and then the basket for the 2 younger ones? Then as someone else sudgsted tie the laces or safety pin them together. either way there will be much less shoes to deal with. And those pocket things can be found for fairly cheap.
#7 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 03:42 PM

INstead of one big basket, how about four smaller baskets? Each child gets a basket. What i did with our shoes is I purchased 2 wooden bins, they kinda look like bookcases. Each bin has three shelves. For each of the shelves, I bought a wood basket. I put a picture of each child on a basket, so they know right where to put their shoes, in the basket with their picture on it. the extra baskets I use for gloves/mittens/hats/scarves and also my shoes fit in the baskets, so I use one for my shoes.

HTH!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page