am i the only one with freecycle issues? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually have had great luck with our local freecycle. After 2 no-shows you get booted from the group, so that really cuts down on those.

I have gotten some great things at times that I really needed them and couldn't otherwise afford them. (like when someone posted a mattress set just when our bed was getting too crowded with squirmy ds in the middle...voila, a bed for him) And I have also given some things away to people who were eternally grateful. I haven't had a problem yet in the past 2 years.

I try to be cautious and if my dh isn't home when someone is picking something up, I always leave it on the porch so I don't have to open the door to a stranger. I hate to be anti-social, but I wouldn't want to put us in harms way.
#32 of 37 Old 12-18-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Like I would really let a stranger in my house to decide if the free thing she solicitated would work!!
For real! That's just rude ... and weird! I'm SURE the Chicago FC is WAY huger than Asheville's. But even a few months ago I put a wooden kitchen table on FC, and (since I'm an eBayer) I tend to be very over-descriptive . It was a good table, and with 3000 FC members here, there were a bajillion responses. But I actually had people writing saying "This sounds nice, but what kind of wood is it?" "Exactly how old is it?" "My kitchen is like this, do you think it would work?" HA! As if I have the time (or desire) to sit at the computer and respond to 50 or so people and try to find it would work for them when it's a free table! sheesh.

Sometimes my fingers just can't hit the delete button quick enough!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#33 of 37 Old 12-19-2005, 11:58 AM

my issue with freecycle was that on more than one occassion , the address didn't exsist, or i went and the people at the address i was given had no idea what i was talking about. it is a good idea but difficult to put into practice. and is it really free? i mean, one time i drove across town , it took my half an hour and the address was wrong. so i believe nothing is truly free.
#34 of 37 Old 12-19-2005, 12:16 PM

I love the concept of freecycle and in general I've had a lot of fun with it. But I've also had some really obnoxious no-shows/changed minds, like the guy who didn't believe me when I said the desk we were offering was *huge* and would require a pickup truck and two strong backs to move it because his wife can never get sizes right, and I'm a woman too, so I must have been exaggerating. : He showed up by himself in a Volvo and got mad he couldn't handle it himself. I just looked at him. He left. But by this time dh and I had hauled the thing through the house and outside and moved our new desks in. We ended up having to get a trailer and, me pregnant, haul the thing up onto the trailer and over to Goodwill across town. I was so ticked!

On the other hand, I've actually made a couple good friends through freecycle too -- it's been a great way to meet other mamas in town! And I love being able to "recycle" the things that Goodwill won't take (toys with small parts, etc.).
#35 of 37 Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Try sticking the item on your curb, around here it'd be gone before my next trash pickup.
That's what we used to do when we lived in the NYC area. Old shoes that aren't totally trashed? Put 'em on the curb (or near the trash room). We got a couple of nice recycling bins, some books, and some great records that way - someone just put them outside the garbage room (we were across the hall)! Even here in IL we occasionally see items that are placed out on the curb well before trash day, but it's usually big stuff we don't need (and I doubt dh would stop to look at something in front of someone's house!).

My inlaws found a Cozy Coupe out on someone's lawn with a "Free" sign. They grabbed it for use at their house. I like it because it is an older model, without all the annoying electronics. We'll do the same with it when our dc's outgrow it in a few years.

My dad was a garbageman for a few years when I was a kid. He brought home toys, electronics, a humidifier, and several other things. (My mom's mom was mortified, but then she was mortified that her college-educated SIL was a garbageman. It was the early 70's, and that was the only thing he could find at the time, but she never really got over it. )

Now that's my kind of freecycle!
#36 of 37 Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 PM

I feel sort of ambivalent about freecycle. I do think people make greedy outrageous request, but when it works and people show up when they say they will it's great. I also got some really nice thank yous I don't care if someone resales the stuff, I was just going to throw it out or donate to GW (who would then resale it). I don't mind about the address thing either, if your phone # is listed people can get your address easily and I can't imagine someone going to all the trouble to stalk freecycle just to come over to my house becuz I have a broken chair to give away. That's just too weird.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#37 of 37 Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat
I don't mind about the address thing either, if your phone # is listed people can get your address easily and I can't imagine someone going to all the trouble to stalk freecycle just to come over to my house becuz I have a broken chair to give away. That's just too weird.
Yeah; people can find out your address through whitepages.com, the phone book, or by walking down your street for that matter. I just don't get why it's a concern, unless you're telling folks when you're going to be out of town, whch doors you leave unlocked, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page