Thanks for the tip about the tennis ball! I never knew that- what a neat idea
Aren't you glad I asked!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am drowning, choking, tripping, over the clutter in our home.

So this week, I had a plan. I got one huge box, about one cubic yard. Every day I fill that box with stuff and drive it to the nearest Savers which makes it easy to donate and gives all proceeds to charity called "Any Baby Can." So far, nine cubic yards of stuff has gone out,and it is weirdly addictive. Right now I would like to be dragging out more stuff. I can see the floor in one of our closets again.

No sorting and saving. I have to take the stuff out of our house every single day. The strange thing is that it made me realize that I don't have enough of some things once all the non functioning stuff was gone. For example, we need some more age appropriate books for our children now that all the little touch and feel sorts of books are gone.
#33 of 52 Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
I have to take the stuff out of our house every single day.
Sounds likea good idea for a procrastinator like me.
#34 of 52 Old 11-21-2005, 11:51 AM

inezyv - that is entirely too awesome! Love that system! I think I may have to adopt a similar system, but on a slightly smaller scale. I am working outside of the home until mid-January, so I don't have the hours to work on decluttering on work evenings, but I could definitely work with smaller boxes and commit to a couple of smaller boxes every Saturday...

I like it - thanks for sharing!
#35 of 52 Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
There have been a few times I have simply purged because I couldn't handle trying to organize everything into what is giveable and what is not.

But it's been the best thing I've done. Because it got it out of the way, out of the house and let me think more clearly... and think more about the things I was now bringing in.

It's time for another purge I think, with less than four weeks before this third babe is due. For a while I was simply exhausted and did nothing around the house -- and it shows!! So, a-purging we will go.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#36 of 52 Old 11-22-2005, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajessica
nak
another thing to keep in mind if you are feeling guilty getting rid of things you can sell is that by moving out old, stagnant items out of your home, new energy will flow in and move about more freely. so things may change for you and maybe you will get the value of the items back in a different form

So true! I think I need to print this post and put it on my refridgerator!
#37 of 52 Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
kamilla626 I completly hear you. I've been doing the same thing. I think a big reason why our charity bags are not moving is that I keep thinking "we are on the verge of being broke. I'd like to sell these clothes, but where's the time?; I doubt I'll make anything on them; doesn't Goodwill deserve the money for their noble cause? but then we need some rainy day money..." Ack. It makes me sick. What's worst is that I don't feel I can have visitors to my house -- I'm ashamed.
this is us right now, I have bags and boxes taking over my laundry room of stuff that is sellable, nice stuff my kids' barely wore but I don't have the time to sell it or have a yard sale or I tried the tp and had a yard sale and it still didn't sell and I would love to donate it but yet we could use the money too... I finally took one box to donate and let that go and I decided I'm going to the consignment shop with the rest of it this week and what she doesn't want I'm donating! It just has to go.
#38 of 52 Old 11-25-2005, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
I have bags and boxes taking over my laundry room ...

"pilesoflaundry"

OK, I'm really tired but that really cracked me up.
#39 of 52 Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 AM

Right now, if anyone has extra stuff in piles around their house, why not donate it via the Holiday Helper thread on MDC? Not only are they looking for all sorts of gently used items, but it helps declutter your own home and goes to a very worthy cause.

Check out the link in my sig if you are curious and want more information.
#40 of 52 Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 PM

I have anxiety about all the stuff in our house. I always keep the living room clutter free, but the Christmas tree just got set up and now that room feels "too full" to me as well. I literally feel like I can't breathe sometimes when I see piles of papers or books or toys or boxes.

I have been doing Flylady, but I am only fluttering. My friends and my husband comment that our house is fine, but I feel that it is too much. Just yesterday I was thinking that if we could get rid of half of the stuff in our house, that would feel about right. Getting the stuff to the "best home" is what gives me stress - I always want stuff to go to where it will really be used. I need to get over that and just give it to whoever will take it. I have Amvets come every month (they do a monthly pick-up) and all I have to do is leave bags on the front porch. But all of the really nice kids clothes, books, etc I save to give to friends or more wothy charities. I need to get over that and just purge - for my own mental health.

Thanks for this thread.
Kathleen
#41 of 52 Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 AM

I purge a couple times a year. I did my closet earlier, I was looking for something.lol I did dh's clothes. My oldest needed hangers so I told dh to give me 10shirts that he doesn't wear or are old and ratty. I tossed the ratty ones and kept the better ones(3,lol).

Dh had a week off in Oct, it was gorgeous out still so I had a 2 page list of things do to. We purged the sheds, the cold storeage room and I tried to throw out at least 2 things from every room in the house.

There is 1 room I really need to do but fortunatly/unfortunatly I can't get to it.lol We had a border who moved out in August, we're storing his stuff. Dh got sick of his stuff taking up a room so dh took the old border's stuff and moved it into dh's tv room. Dh got rid of his furniture in his tv room and lent them to a friend who was moving into his own place. That made up a small amount of room. However that was 2weeks ago and we had another border come in Sept. He brought all his stuff(washer/dryer/table/beds/pretty much a house but no walls). His stuff is mostly in 1 room which used to be the toy room(that was never played in) until he moved in. When they took the old border's stuff and moved it into dh's room they moved the toys into the 3rd room in the basement where the other half of the new borders stuff was. That moved more of his stuff out, but still not enough that I can get into that room to purge the toys.

I have so many toys in that basement, I had set aside the baby toys to give to my sister or friends of ours who are having babies. My sisters a snob and doesn't want them because they're not new enough. I can't get to them for the friends, but their babies were just born Oct 27 and 28th so I have time. If I can't give them to them(they live 5hours away) I'm selling them. I don't care if I have to haul it all outside to sort it.

I am guessing we have 3-4 more months with this border and he'll buy a house.

My 4yo told me tonight that they need a toybox, I reminded her she does have one, it's just in the basement and we can't get to it.
#42 of 52 Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 AM

Well the floor is down, no more carpet YAY almost all of our paperwork mess is upstairs so the bedroom looks awful, we have got rid of one small chest (freecycle), the new sofa has not yet arrived and we have more or less reorganised what goes on which shelf

but

now I don't want to put anything else back in the room.

Look at all the clear floorspace!

I can't bear to go through all the other stuff and find places for it. Its mostly papers from my work and research stuff along with 'interesting' newspapers and magazines etc (I teach ESL and basic skills) I just want to close my eyes and set fire to the lot of it.

Maybe I'll tackle it after Christmas. Dh is worn out with thinking about moving stuff now.
#43 of 52 Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626
I'm drowning in clutter....I want to give up trying to get rid of my clutter in a planful and organized way and just load up the car with everything I don't want so I can just drop it off at one place and never look at it again!

Anyone else want to do this?

I am purging my house, too. I plan to tackle one room at a time and really get them under control.

I found a very inspiring book at the library last week, and it has been super helpful already. It's called "It's Here, Somewhere!" by Alice Fulton and Pauline Hatch. (If your library doesn't have it, maybe ask for it on inter-library loan; it's THAT good!!)

Anyway, I am on board for a "home-purge support group".

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#44 of 52 Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmomathm
...at least since coming to these boards more lately i don't feel so alone and like I am the only one.
So even if we are all struggling with similar issues - i feel supported here. so thanks to all of you and your outgoing clutter................

I feel exactly the same way. It really helps to know that there are other people with similar struggles, and sharing each other's successes helps keep me motivated!!

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#45 of 52 Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 AM

I have had much success with our local Freecycle site and I love knowing that other folks in our community are enjoying things we no longer needed. I have freecycled clothes, shoes, purses, books, toys, and even furniture; all picked up for me too.

I'm not patient enough to sit though a garage sale and haggling prices with people; I'd rather give stuff to appreciate neighbors, etc.
#46 of 52 Old 12-06-2005, 08:50 AM

Oh I am need of a house purge as I am so lazy and unorganized and overwhelmed!
I have dreams about renting one of those construction dumpsters (no matter what the cost) and just tossing the items in - no bags, no seperating, all just gets dumped forever).....ah but the poor enviornmentalist in me wakes me up before the dumpster is hauled away!
#47 of 52 Old 12-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Please pray for me girls. I feel very ashamed by my own home. It was owned by my dh's grandma. The home never seen clutter, well that is until we moved in. We have never been able to keep a house clean. I don't know why either. We aren't exactly messy people, but the house is always trashed. We can't even have company over. We also made a reputation for ourselves in the extended family. They don't even drop in any more because they know it could be an embarrasing situation. I need some strength to dig my way out of our mountains of STUFF.

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#48 of 52 Old 12-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
hey i got rid of an exersaucer today! just one small drop in the bucket, but a big old hunk of plastic out of our house and out of the dumpster. gave it to a friend with twins...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#49 of 52 Old 12-20-2005, 06:13 PM

I could probably stand do this, but I never know what to get rid of... I really feel like I should try to sell or trade things, because we desperately need money and some larger furniture items (like shelves!), and I hold on to things for ages because I've got younger kids... I've lent things to people, but I always need them back for the next baby. I'm also holding on to things which my brother gave me when he went through my nieces' things (my sister would never, ever, EVER give any of her daughters' clothing items away willingly, even though she's unlikely to have another child and if she *does* have another, all of the clothing will be seriously out of style) and which BeanBean and/or BooBah will be able to wear in a few years, but can't wear now... not all of it is nice enough for me to even consider sending it to someone who might need it, I see a lot of future playclothes, but I have an even harder time parting with the nice stuff.

So how do you let go?! Or should this post be a new thread entirely?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#50 of 52 Old 12-20-2005, 09:51 PM

I am a major pack-rat. I have tons and TONS of clutter that I absolutely do not need and I have no idea why I have most of it. (Especially after reading through this thread. )

Luckily, my dh is totally opposite. He sees no need to hold onto things that don't need to be held onto. If it weren't for him, our house would be in a worse state than it is now! And because of this thread, I am SO ready to purge our garage! Too bad it's only 10 degrees outside!

Our garage is the worst part of our house. We moved in in August and most of our stuff we left in the garage and just haven't gone through yet. I'd really like to park our car in the garage instead of having to dust snow off every morning.

Our master suite is also a disarray. There's two parts to our bedroom and one of the 'parts' is a room we don't use. It was my craft room until we moved my craft stuff up to the third floor. Then that 'part' of our bedroom was empty and became our catchall for everything! It's almost disgusting to look in there. I would post a pic just to show you how disgusting it is, but I'm too ashamed.

I'm going to keep up with this thread and hopefully post an update soon! Wish me luck!
#51 of 52 Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 PM

I too still need to declutter our house. And we just moved from Ohio to Florida and purged a whole one car garage worth of crap we were not using. We don't miss the stuff at ALL! It feels great to give stuff away to people who want it--like a self cleansing type of wonderfulll feeling of relief not to have to worry about how to store and take care of all the stuff we no longer needed. I am still trying to get rid of even more stuff though (I just joined a freecyle group in our area). I used to ebay stuff but it is just not worth the trouble most of the time. I am very careful now about what we buy too (like do we really NEED this thing or not?). Pack rats out there, it feels great to get rid of stuff! I used to save everything but am slowly learning to let it all just GO! When we were packing to move down here, a friend was helping me pack up some magazines and asked me if I really needed them (of course I wanted to keep them and couldn't bring myself to get rid of them) so she wrote on the the box, "magazines I should have thrown out but didn't!" I laughed so hard when we were getting our stuff out of storage and into our new home when I saw that! (I still have the magazines but I think I am mentally ready to put them on freeclyle LOL! )
#52 of 52 Old 12-22-2005, 12:59 PM

My house is a disaster area! We also do not have visitors, if we can help it. One day when I was not home, thankfully, Dh's old roommie & his wife stopped in....OH man was I embarassed when I heard that. We live in a teeny trailer about 750 sqaure feet and we are overwhelmed with stuff. Our bedroom is the worst. I need to get rid of a ton of clothes, I have been dropping a bunch of stuff in a bin for clothes down the road, but that was a while ago. I have given away some big stuff on freecycle lately, that helped too, but it is sooo bad that I don't even know where to start, DH is never home he works so much and coaches hockey, I just need to start and keep going. I am happy to know we are not alone here though! You guys have motivated me to start somewhere, thanks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page