Tell me your best Feng Shui tips, please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-19-2005, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just begun trying to apply some Feng Shui techniques in my home. I've been reading "Clearing the Clutter for good Feng Shui" by Mary Lambert and "Simple Feng Shui" by Gina Lazenby as well as another little book that I can't find right now. I'm working on purging all the main bits of clutter from the house (perhaps 1/3 completed?), I've added some pretty soothing elements, but I know I still have some areas that are contraindicated in the books I am reading.

What do you think are the most important rules in Feng Shui? Where would you start in an untouched house?

TIA.
#2 of 19 Old 11-21-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really, really a beginner, so any tips at all would be appreciated. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
#3 of 19 Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 AM

Haven't a clue, but I'm watching.
#4 of 19 Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
Haven't a clue, but I'm watching.
Okay, good to know.

Perhaps I should ask about some specific examples in my house.

1) When you walk in my front door, straight ahead I have a table against the wall, with a plant centered on it, a mirror on the wall above it (sending all the good chi out...I mean, really, is that so bad? Do I NEED to move it? It looks really cute!) and some candle sconces flanking the mirror on the wall. Am I doomed to eternity with a lack of good chi?

2) My house seems to be exactly opposite what the Pa Kua says it should be. Have I lost all hope? Should I sell it and buy another house? Am I misinterpreting what I've read? For example, we sleep in the "children's" section of the house and our children sleep in the Family&Health and Education&knowledge sectors. It's all so confusing!!!

3) I have a spider plant with prickly pointy leaves... not round soft leaves... but I hear that spider plants are EXCELLENT for purifying the air, one of the best. I also have an indoor aloe plant, also good for purifying the air and handy for boo boos, too. How bad is this? I also have a few plants with soft rounded leaves...does that counteract the evil of the pointy plants?

4) I don't have any crystals in any windows. Should that be the first thing I remedy?

I'm joking around but I'm actually seriously tormented by these things. How many feng shui books do I need to read to figure these things out? Are there certain feng shui mistakes that are worse than others? What if I have 10 good feng shui items and 3 bad ones...what kind of balance should I aim for? I'd really rather not have to pay a feng shui expert to come in and fix it all for me...I simply don't have that kind of expendable cash and I'm guessing it'd be quite pricey. Any advice for me?
#5 of 19 Old 11-21-2005, 01:59 AM

Hi!
I thought you might be interested in checking out the American Feng Shui Institute. They have a web site at http://www.amfengshui.com/

The founder, Master Larry Sang is widely recognized as one of the world's formost authorities on Classical Feng Shui. The site has online classes, and lots of good books. I get the annual Feng Shui Guide every year, to update the "cures". Classical practitioners use magnetics, and accurate compass (Lopan) readings when analyzing a home or building, to determine remedies.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!
#6 of 19 Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 AM

ok, i'm no feng shui expert and i have a crappy memory but i did read a few books on the subject about 8 years ago. from what i recall, there are 2 theories of feng shui, eastern and western, and this is why some feng shui info appears to contradict other feng shui info. for example, eastern feng shui may use traditional north/south/east/west but in western feng shui, each of these positions could be relative (for instance, you could feng shui a particular room using the doorway as the south and go from there). make sense? prolly not.

spiky plants. just keep these away from seating areas, walkways as they make an area uninviting. or soften up the edges by placing rounded edge plants nearby.

i would say that the most important aspect of feng shui is to de-clutter. clutter in the home is clutter in the mind.

i tend to still utilize some practical components of feng shui. i keep small chimes on the door knobs of exterior doors. it's amazing but you can hear the little tingle throughout the home thus eliminating the element of suprise. also, i try to implement the strategic placement of mirrors . again, i try to hang mirrors in those "blind curve" type places.

it's easy to get wrapped up in the little details. most importantly, create a home environment that is tidy, soothing and reflects your personal style.
#7 of 19 Old 11-29-2005, 05:19 PM

In my study, I learned from a few different sources that the two schools of thought on Feng Shui are not East and West, but "Classic Chinese", which is based on strict magnetic measurements, and observations documented over the past five thousand years, and "Black Hat" which is considered to be a collection of olds wives tales, and superstitions. There is also the physical Feng Shui, which deals with "Sha" and it's effects on the movement of Chi energy is cases such as pointed buildings, or church steeples facing the home, or house placements at "T" intersections and cul-de-sacs, and how it affects the occupants of the building. This physical study is compatible with Classic Chinese Feng Shui. The practitioners also specialize in Feng Shui for the Living, and a separate study of Feng Shui for Grave sites. Hope this helps. One of my teachers has a web site, which you can find if you google Dr. Roger West. It has a tutorial, and several case histories that are facinating!
#8 of 19 Old 12-04-2005, 09:59 AM

I read, "Feng Shui, Your Home and Health"

I try and do the following (and its all I seem to be able to keep up with):

*No storage under beds-vacuum under there weekly.
Bedrooms are the #1 place to start.

*Organized closets

*No "storage" in corners (like in the hallway, so the "chi" flows into the rest of the house)

*In bedrooms don't store/"sleep with" books on heavy topics

I barely keep up with this, but I do constantly throw out/donate stuff-I mean weekly! Our extended family constantly tries to use our house as a "clearing house", dropping off garbage bags full of stuff they don't want but "thought we could look through and just get rid of if we can't use it".

Sometimes I don't even look, and it goes right to the car to be dropped off at a charity pick up.

It's a lot of mental baggage!
#9 of 19 Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 AM

Oh yeah, I do use brass wind chimes and a bell to clear energy, as well as insense and essential oils in a diffuser... A house full of kids that also gets craploads of stuff dropped off from family really needs it!

I truly see a difference in the kids when the energy and space has been "cleared" with the above... They are calmer and more focused, and generally more cheerful.
#10 of 19 Old 12-14-2005, 01:31 PM

My aunt and my mom are HUGE into feng shui. They go and feng shui people's houses all the time. When dh and I bought this house they cam down the week after we moved in and feng shui'd it. FIRST you need to balance your house by squaring it off at all 4 corners (N,S E,W). The reason for doing this is to successfully declutter, if you don't, you find yourself in a HUGE mess while decluttering. Also start in the outer rooms and work into the center of the house. If can can do it all within a ferw days that works best. Remember feng shiu is a process and decluttering takes a while as well.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#11 of 19 Old 12-14-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you for all of the information, everyone. I really appreciate it. I'd still love to know more though, so keep it coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentilla
My aunt and my mom are HUGE into feng shui. They go and feng shui people's houses all the time.
They're not in SW Florida now, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentilla
FIRST you need to balance your house by squaring it off at all 4 corners (N,S E,W).
I'm confused already...what, in very simple basic how-to terms do you mean by "squaring it off?" I know I'm quoting a movie here (and I can't even recall which one) but can you tell it to me like I'm a 4 year old? (after all, I'm just a toddler in feng shui years )
#12 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM

In the Classic Chinese Feng Shui method, you draw an imaginary tic-tac toe grid over the whole house. You then must measure with the Lopan, and determine what the seating and facing directions are. This can be tricky, because sometimes a house is not oriented in the same position that it is facing. The front of the house, may not be the facing direction. Perhaps the house is built on a hillside and the back of the house is actually designed to be the front in order to take advantage of the views. Usually the kitchen will be at the back of the house, so details like this help figure out unusual or difficult situations. Once you take the measurement with the Lopan, it is simple to mark out using the grid to determing in what quadrant rest of the sections lie, and then you can figure out bed directions, and what cures, if any are needed. If you don't take an accurate Lopan measurement and just "square off" at the corners, you run the risk of putting cures in the wrong magnetic direction and doing more harm than good.
The Classic Chinese method is used throughout Tiawan, Hong Kong and Mainland China. Very few building are built without consulting an experienced practitioner. The famous Bank of China building in H.K. was built using the C.C. method. Perhaps the American Feng Shui Institute can give you a referral for your area. Good luck to you!
#13 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 04:36 PM

I don't believe in what I regard as the "magical" part of how feng shui is often practiced, with the bagua for instance, so I can't help you there. I do know, however, that physical manifestations of harmony and balance and calm exist.

So my advice to you would be to not worry about the "rules" and instead think about how being in the space makes you feel. Does having crystals in the windows make you happy? If so, put them up! If not, don't bother, honestly.

The mirror facing the door I agree is an uncomfortable setup. The flow of direction should be going in as you are going in, but a mirror visually has it coming back at you. Besides, who wants to get a vision of themselves first thing as they enter a space? That's unsettling, especially if you're a visitor.
#14 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
I don't believe in what I regard as the "magical" part of how feng shui is often practiced, with the bagua for instance, so I can't help you there. I do know, however, that physical manifestations of harmony and balance and calm exist.

So my advice to you would be to not worry about the "rules" and instead think about how being in the space makes you feel. Does having crystals in the windows make you happy? If so, put them up! If not, don't bother, honestly.

The mirror facing the door I agree is an uncomfortable setup. The flow of direction should be going in as you are going in, but a mirror visually has it coming back at you. Besides, who wants to get a vision of themselves first thing as they enter a space? That's unsettling, especially if you're a visitor.
The Classical Chinese Feng Shui method does not use any of these "Cures" such as Bagua,or other type of mirrors, or crystals of any type. It doesn't use any type of magic, but based strictly on MAGNETICS which can be determined with a compass. Most of us believe that magnetic force exists, and through 5000 years of observation, the Chinese have figured out how to take advantage of it. The cures used if needed, which most of the time are not, are usually metal, red clay earth, water or fire, or a combination of these. Feng Shui should help you take advantage of the good Chi that is already flowing through your home.
Please, don't waste your time, or money on Black Hat Feng Shui, which has given all practice of Feng Shui a bad name. Anything which uses crystals, Bagua mirrors, red ropes and tassles, flutes, and a lot of other objects that seem silly when in use, (and are), is a sham.
#15 of 19 Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 PM

Riversky,

this might be of some help.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8&page=1&pp=20

I started off with baqua feng shui then I moved to compass. Frankly, they both worked for me.

check out thread for more discussions.

hth

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#16 of 19 Old 12-17-2005, 01:00 AM

Tracy-
The type of Feng Shui that is referenced when discussing situations such as metal bed frames, placement of beds, seating, or desks in relation to doorways, staircases that face the front door, locations of toilets in the home, houses built in cud-de-sacs and at the center of T-intersections, placement of the building in relation to mountains, and bodies of water; these are aspects of physical Feng Shui, which is compatible and studied in conjunction with Classical Chinese Feng Shui. This study cannot be performed without taking the magnetic measurements, and it is impossible to know if the house will have good Chi without knowing the birth year of the occupant, and the year that the house was built.
In Eastern philosophy, people, according to birth year, and therefore a specific triagram, fall into one of two categories; East House, and West House. Buildings that are seated in the directions of N,S, E, & SE are East House and suitable for people who have those triagrams. Buildings that are seated in the directions of W,SW,NE & NW are West House, and suitable for people that have these triagrams. The year that the building was completed with roof, determines what 20 year cycle the house is in, and this also affects the occupants. To complicate things further, there is an annual cycle that changes on February 4th-5th of each year, not abruply but gradually, like the change of the seasons, and this need to be taken into account. Simply put, without a compass, it's not Feng Shui. Without this, you cannot determine the alignment of your building with the earth's magnetic fields, which is what makes it work. You can't just arbitrarily count off to nine and expect results. What reference does this counting off have to anything? It doesn't take into account the basic force of gravity. I don't buy it.
Feng Shui is a deep and complex science that take many years to master. It uses observations and repeatable complex calculations, and is based on study of the physical environment inside and outside the building, rather than a metaphysical reading relying on inspiration or intuition.
#17 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 AM

I don't know squat about Feng Shui, but have heard beds should be facing doorways. Since we did that, I do feel much better about our bedrooms. So I'm enjoying this thread and finding even minute things I can change that make a difference.

I'm wondering what would be recommended for a house built with NO closets? That's right, zero closets. Under-the-bed and in corners seems the only practical storage solutions (but they drive me nuts!). If anyone has insight, throw it at me!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#18 of 19 Old 12-18-2005, 10:42 PM

Hmm, I think this may mean that you are living in an old house, before built-in closets were 'invented'. People didn't used to have so many things to store in the 'old days', and didn't even have that many clothes to 'hang'.

I have lived in very old houses that had no closets (except 'under the stairs'), and the traditional thing to do is to have wardrobes for hanging clothes. More furniture, of course, and not the most common pieces to find nowadays!

I don't know much about How Feng Shui either, and how it could help as far as storage problems are concerned would interest me too!
#19 of 19 Old 12-19-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Hmm, I think this may mean that you are living in an old house, before built-in closets were 'invented'. People didn't used to have so many things to store in the 'old days', and didn't even have that many clothes to 'hang'.
yup, It's 80yo. They were definitely more focused on functuality than comfort when building it! (Like no bath tub either! : )

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page