As we're moving in to gift giving time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2005, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know how there are some toys that are great for a long age-range, but your kids lose interest? Things like building block sets. When we lost stopped playing with a toy for awhile, my parents would take it and stick it in the attic. Then, at a Christmas at least 6 months later, they'd wrap up the toy and put it under the tree. That way we had the fun of unwrapping lots of presents and the old toys seemed new again.

We'd also donate a few toys every year. We'd choose the toys we wanted another child to have to play with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 PM

We are working on the, donate to make room for new stuff, right now. We have built in shelves in the sunroom and thats where we keep all the toys. The goal is to only have as many toys as fit on the shelves.

We have moved some things into storage to use on a rotating basis, but that's limited too.

Funny you mentioned blocks. We have a basket full of beautiful maple blocks. The boys havent played with them in months and months. Today they had them all spread out and were playing away. I was so happy. Funny how I have such intrest in certin toys.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Old 11-26-2005, 06:36 PM

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. I love unpacking the winter clothes, now that it's cold, I get a whole "new" wardrobe. Same in the summer but reversed.

It only makes sense that kids would feel the same way about toys. We go through the wooden train phase, the lego phase...... You can only play with something for so long before it gets dull.

We've been working on boxing things up and rotating.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 11-27-2005, 03:03 AM

We have done that type of thing many many times over the years...pack away toys every couple of weeks, bringing out another set of toys. As the children got older, sometimes the intervals were longer but it still worked, the toys seemed new again. Then every once in a while we purge...we remove all the "baby" toys and let the children choose which ones we can give away to babies (no matter what their age), whether they be babies that we know or babies that we don't know (via a charity or a garage sale).

Right now, there is a Holiday Helper/ Moms in Need thread right here on MDC and they are looking for gently used toys (and all other items, really), so if you happen to have some toys that your children probably won't ever play with again, perhaps you might want to check out the MDC Holiday Helper thread (click on the link in my sig).

User Tag List