Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...26#post4212026
#2 of 3 Old 12-18-2005, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think you got some excellent ideas already! Here's my .02

The first storage pic you posted (not the bunkbeds one) - the one with all the plastic bins - while it is a decent amount of storage, is STUPID. I shy away from those because of the "DUMP" factor That many removable bins full of small objects are just begging to be dumped. I have seen this downfall at several friends' houses, and that's why we have not fallen into that trap

I prefer a regular deep bookshelf with baskets/bins/whatever if necessary. Obviously big toys sit by themselves, we have a "vehicles" basket, "guys" basket - like little bendy guys, action figures, etc., "instrument" basket (obviously not all instruments can go in, but little maracas, and glockenspiel and harmonicas and stuff can). We have a lego basket that got dumped too much, so I found a nice picnic basket that had a wooden lid on it, and slid the basket under an end table in the living room. It's not dumped nearly as frequently now! I guess that's all our baskets I can think of ... well, no there's one in the kitchen with cutting foods for my 2yo.

Did that help at all? I don't go for spending lots of dough on stuff like that. DH made our bookshelf in 1/2 a day. Coulda bought one from the local classified paper, but I'm too lazy to drive around town looking at them! All our baskets are NOT matching and are from the thrift. I especially like to grab produce baskets when I find them ... the one with metal handles with a wooden grabber on top ... those double nicely as berry picking/pine cone gathering/collecting baskets. And baskets at thrift stores & yardsales cost about 50 cents each, so I dont' really care if it gets stepped on one too many times and crushes

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#3 of 3 Old 12-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I too stay away from the stacked bins- its a dumping ground. We still have one and its the stray toy area. Every few months we weed out stuff and toss or donate. Usually the residents of this area are- goody bag rejects, happy meal toys, stray parts/pieces of some other toy etc.

Thankfully I have a very handy dh. He built me last summer to plain bookshelves with both sides open and low. They would also be perfect in a preschool setting (where the idea came from). I found in my very infrequent trip to Ikea bins. They were not even 1$ a piece but the perfect size.

But each bin is stocked with specifics. One holds play doh, one art supplies, one zoo animals, instruments, cars/trucks, thomas trains, doll house furniture etc. We have a lego table with a bin underneath w the legos. # bins hold the ever growing inventory of dress up stuff. I am thinking of having him build a "wardrobe" and hanging all the stuff in there. On top of the shelves (they are about chest level w a 2-3 yr old) sits puzzles, dolls, etc. Also dh made a wooden kitchen last year (copied from pottery barn catalog) and the fridge stocks different foods and the oven stocks different pots n pans.

It makes for an incredibly easy clean up since if a bin is out and dumped it needs to be cleaned up before another can be dumped.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page