Your Laundry/Laundry Room System (Please!) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 01-21-2006, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
My dream laundry room has a comfy armchair and a flatscreen TV...
sounds like the laundry room in my dorm in college. Lots of furniture, snack machines, and a BIG tv.

We live in a double that isn't meant to be a double, and when our renter moves (she's 85 and has lived her for 45 years) we're converting the house back to a single family home.

I dream of using her kitchen as an upstairs laundry room. The plumbing is already in, it has a window that looks out over our neighborhood, I just need to find a way to create a basin that attaches to the drain pipe in case the machine overflows/breaks so that it doesn't flood my upstairs!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#32 of 46 Old 01-21-2006, 03:54 PM

Wow, you all make me look like bad Suzy homemaker! Lol, my laundry routine? When both me and dh run out of clothes and I'm tempted to just throw a towel around dd's bum, that's when I gather my and dh's clothes and do a load then another load for dd's stuff. A few hours (or days ) after the dryer stops and I actually remember to take it out, MAYBE I'll fold our clothes and put them in the proper drawers, perhaps they will stay in that laundry basket... Dd's stuff is thrown into her crib (hey she doesn't use it anyways and it keeps the cat out of there). What's the point of putting them away when I'll just need to do all of her diapers and clothes again in a day or two. (I have to change her clothes just about every time I change her diaper since the diapers gap around her skinny little thighs). Ok, you may stone me now!
#33 of 46 Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 PM

I totally want to thank the person who mentioned putting up a tension rod to hang laundry. I pirated one from elsewhere and set it up downstairs and it's so cool, I can pull laundry straight out of the dryer and hang it up... Mike says it makes things a bit more of a PITA for him, but it makes life so much easier for me if it's already hung when it comes upstairs.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#34 of 46 Old 02-02-2006, 05:05 PM

this is my biggest nightmare, 2 girls and lots of handme downs, and me not being able to get rid of anything. Then theres my husband, a woodworker who comes home covered...
so about every 3 months I lose control and wash and go through all the clothes at once over a few day period. Other than that i wish I could get a schedule down to do 1 load a day or do a few 2x's a week.
#35 of 46 Old 02-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Didn't have time to read all of the replies...

We have a three dohickey sorter thingy. I have one hamper at the top of the steps, and one in the basement. Each morning, I take the hamper upstairs and dump it downstairs into the sorter.... we have cloth/towels/clothes. Then that hamper gets left downstairs for the dryer, and the empty one comes upstairs for the day. I do at least two loads a day. At nap time, I switch the laundry, switch the hampers, and bring up the dry clothes to be folded and put away. THen right before bed, I do it again. I always have a load in the washer and dryer. (I only do bright/dark colors seperately for the first 2 washes, usually right when we buy them). I used to wash everything in cold and used cold water tide. Now that i know better, I wash everything in hot, and use vinegar with EO"s in my downy ball, a cup of baking soda, and if I Think it's a really dirty load, I'll put in 1/3 of a cup of whatever eco friendly detergent.

hh2.gif

#36 of 46 Old 02-03-2006, 11:44 AM

Posted earlier, I think but was inspired to rethink laundry around here.

Trimmed "products" down to Ivory soap flakes and am switching from bleach to hydrogen peroxide in the rinse for whites.One bar of grated Ivory soap (which is exactly the same stuff as the old Ivory Snow) costs 30 cents and lasts me two weeks.

I still do loads by color - reds, greens and tans, blues and blacks, and whites. I never did but I like the way things come out and the washer we have now is so small inside it makes sense anyway. I do three or four loads per week.

We hang most of the stuff on racks inside. But I asked my husband to take two broomhandles and attach clothesline so we can hang it across our porch (like a clothesline hammock!) and dry at least all the white stuff outside. The sun is too strong for colors and just bleaches them out. And we have no shady area except in winter.

I love the laundry room "paradise" description. What a lovely place that must have been!
#37 of 46 Old 02-03-2006, 12:09 PM

I used to live in a 3rd floor apt. with laundry in the basement! I'm in heaven now, since we bought our first house 6 months ago, to have the laundry upstairs off of our master bedroom. Just open the window & there is a really long clothsline. One of my favorite things about this house was the laundry set up! I also have a tension rod next to my washer. & a big shower curtain tension rod that I can hang wet clothes on hangers to dry. I try not to use the dryer much.

Question about the ivory soap flakes, do you add washing soda or anything?
#38 of 46 Old 02-03-2006, 12:36 PM

We sort everything as it goes into the hamper.

The main hamper has 4 bins, whites, mediums, darks, and special attention.
Our house also has a laundry chute and that is where we drop towels, sheets, etc. I don't use the laundry chute for everything because I want things pre-sorted.

Special attention could be dry cleaning, hand wash items, something with a spot that needs to be treated, a new garment that is likely to bleed. Basically anything that requires more thought than grab everything and throw it in the washer. The specials category has really simplified the laundry routine.

By sorting in advance it is very obvious when it is time to do a load of laundry.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#39 of 46 Old 02-04-2006, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
I used to live in a 3rd floor apt. with laundry in the basement! I'm in heaven now, since we bought our first house 6 months ago, to have the laundry upstairs off of our master bedroom. Just open the window & there is a really long clothsline.
We only got a washer & dryer a few weeks ago, so having to go down three flights of stairs still seems to me to be quite a luxury-- it beats having to drive to a laundromat any day!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#40 of 46 Old 02-04-2006, 05:46 PM

Well, I'll chime in. Laundry is one of the few things I've had a handle on in this house for awhile now

I do laundry every day. I used to save it up and do it all at once but discovered I'd really much rather do a small bit (usually just 1 load) every day then spend a whole day on it. It's the folding and putting away I really dislike. We also don't have a dryer and that's what drove home to need to do one load a day. When I had a dryer I could knock off multiple loads in one day but with a line, that's not always possible now. In the middle of August, sure, but not on rainy days, overcast days, winter days, etc. I have a line in the basement but it usually takes a full day to dry one load.

The bedrooms are all upstairs. Right now there is one laundry hamper up there and all the laundry goes into it. Once a day I bring everything down to the basement and sort it into piles. This part isn't ultra organized though. Sometimes the piles are on the floor Everyone's clothing gets washed together but I sort them into black, white, colors and reds. We also do kitchen towels all on their own but thankfully no one is in diapers anymore so that's not an issue. I use cloth pads but after rinsing them, I just wash them with the colors.

I've found it's easy to just fold everything as I pull it off the line so I no longer dislike that part as much as I used to. Then everything goes upstairs in a basket where I usually put off putting it away for awhile, But it gets put away by the next day.

Sorting socks used to be my big problem. I *hated* that part until I started making sure that each kid had their own distinct socks. Everyone's socks are white, but they are different enough now that I can see at a glance which ones belong to who. Hanes is especially good with that. Their socks have different color lines on the toes for different sizes, plus the boy Hanes socks look slightly different from the girl Hanes.

The BEST my laundry every worked was when I had a color system. Every day of the week was assigned a color or item (kitchen towels had their own day as did bed sheets and bathroom towels). Kitchen towels got washed a few times a week, clothing got washed once a week for each color and bathroom towels, sheets and reds maybe once or twice a month when they came up in rotation.

I stopped the ultra organized stuff after my son was born and everything fell apart but I'm thinking of starting up again.
#41 of 46 Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 PM

I haven't read all of the posts, so this may be old news, but here is my system:

Right now it is DH, me, and ds (6 months).

We have 3 hampers in our bathroom - whites, colors, and clothes that we hang to dry (dh's work clothes that are nylon shorts, track suits, etc.). I have a laundry basket in my closet that I toss random things into.

DS has a laundry basket in his closet. The diaper pail is also in his room.

There is another hamper in the laundry room (which is on the 1st floor off of the kitchen) for anything that never makes it upstairs.

Mostly I try to throw a load in in the morning before I leave for work. I just wash whatever hamper/basket/pail is the fullest (ds's clothes, our whites, etc.). Diapers have priority over everything else if we are running out of pf's cloth wipes, or covers! I check the basket in my closet and the laundry room hamper for whatever is in there that can be added to the load. I transfer it to the dryer (or hang it up in the basement) when I get home in the afternoon. I TRY to fold it and put it away as soon as the dryer stops. That last step I have slacked off on a bit since ds has been around. I just fold the laundry on top of the washer and dryer, put the folded laundry back in the laundry basket, and carry it upstairs.

On weekends I sometimes do several back-to-back loads of clothes, diapers, bedsheets, or towels. Sometimes I challenge myself to keep the washer running continuously (have another load "on deck" ready to go in as soon as the previous load is finished). When I get that done, then I can relax a bit about doing laundry on weekday mornings.

I think part of the trick is having the "right" amount of clothes. You can't have so many that you have mounds of laundry (and nowhere to put it all when it is clean). You also have to have enough that you can go several days and not run out of underwear or some other wardrobe "essential." Also, doing laundry based on the room where it needs to be put away helps the putting away process. I like being able to carry a basket straight up to ds's room and empty it all there without having to stop in our room, at the linen closet, etc.

For my college years and then the first 5 years of our marriage, we did not have a washer and dryer. Getting our own machines a few years ago was such a luxury for me that I LOVED doing laundry. The convenience of having your own machines should NOT be taken for granted! I still find it to be quite satisfying. In all of our apartments, clean, unfolded laundry lived on one of our couches. There seemed to always be laundry to fold. When we moved into our house 2 years ago, one of my personal rules was that no laundry was allowed in the living room. I fold it all in the laundry room (even though that room is VERY small - just enough room for the washer, dryer, one hamper, and a shoe rack. Even then you can only stand in front of the washer and have to reach sideways into the dryer.) The only exception to that rule now is that sometimes I'll bring the basket over to where ds is playing on the floor (in the living or dining room) and fold it "with" him. I give him all of the socks (it's his job to match them ) and play peek-a-boo with clothes/towels/etc. as I am folding them. I love doing that so much that I actually miss him if he is napping during laundry-folding time.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#42 of 46 Old 02-16-2006, 03:38 PM

bump for OnlyBoys

DH DS 1996 DS 2000 We are the Mods! We are the Mods! We are, we are, we are the Mods!
#43 of 46 Old 02-17-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

#44 of 46 Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 AM

I haven't thoroughly read all the replies, so forgive me if I repeat things.

I am fortunate to have a pretty decent sized laundry room in our finished basement. I have the washer and dryer along one wall with a shelf above them to hold the cleaning supplies. Along another wall I have dressers (a large one for my 2 younger DDs and a smaller one for the baby) and a cabinet. Between the cabinet and the wall is a long hanging rod for dresses, skirts, DH's dress shirts/pants. My oldest daughter has a dresser in her room. Once they are old enough to carry up and put away their clean clothes, they get the dresser in their room. Until then, since there are two flights of stairs between the laundry and their rooms, the dressers stay in the laundry room so I'm not going up and down constantly. The cabinet is for rotating clothes - seasonal and hand-me-downs. If something is too small for one child, but not big enough for the next, it goes on the bottom shelf. If something is for summer and it's the middle of winter, it goes on the top 2 shelves. In the bottom of the cabinet I have a donation box. When it's full, I put the clothes into a bag and into the back of the car to donate the next time I'm out.

Along another wall I have a table with storage space underneath. I use that to fold and sort. The ironing board is always out and the iron hangs on the wall above it. On the last wall is a large bookself. When clothes are folded, my oldest DD's clothes as well and DH's and mine are put there to be taken up. I also put towels, linens, diapers, etc there. Basically anything that doesn't get put away in the laundry room. I also put things there that need to be sewn or patched up. Once I get time or a big enough stack, I start mending.

There is a wide open space in the middle of the room. I use this for sorting whenever necessary. We have several baskets to sort into. Otherwise the kids ride their scooters through there.

As far as washing, I am a big sorter. We have so many reds and pinks that we have a red/pink load all for itself. I try to do one load a day, but sometimes get behind. That is when we have Mt. Laundry in the middle of the laundry room. It's not hard to get things pushed through, though, since everything is so convenient.

So that's my laundry room!
#45 of 46 Old 03-03-2006, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=yoyo65]

In the basement I have six larger laundry baskets hanging from the rafters
QUOTE]

I miss my basement I have a walk through to the garage that is my laundry room. I have to store dirty clothes either in the garage or the living room. It sux either way.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#46 of 46 Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas! My laundry room was in great shape after a lot of work in December. Then I had my baby and it all went to pot! Just one big-a** mountain all over the floor again. Uggg!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page