Organized Households Support Group - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 01-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Our house is no where near clean, but we did get a huge box picked up on Friday that we donated, and we got three more boxes of donate/decluttered stuff yesterday!! Yay!

Today I am determined to get caught up on almost all the laundry!!

Wish me luck!
LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#92 of 120 Old 01-21-2006, 08:18 PM

Well, I just got back from a two week trip and I'm trying to get everything back in order. I think that after a week I have finally managed to get back into my routines (mostly).

Meal planning: This is one area I'm good at. First, I have a blank, magnetic note pad on the side of the fridge. Whenever we run out of a staple or essential thing, I write it on that list (cat food, lightbulbs, hair gel, etc).
The night before I am going to go shopping, I look through the fridge, freezer and cupboards to see what we have. Then I make a little chart with the days of the week, and fill in all the lunches and suppers, leaving space on the rt. hand side of the column. Then I fill in that colunm with all the ingredients we will need for that meal that we do not have in the house. Then underneath my chart I scribble down all the other things we will need to buy (snacks, breakfast foods,etc.) and add the list from my fridge.

After this I compile all the stuff on that page into a grocery list written in the order I would buy it in my usual store. That way there is no backtracking in the store, and no reason to wonder "do I really need another box of crackers? These ones are PEPPER flavoured and the ones I have are VEGETABLE flavoured".

I also re-write the lunch/supper chart and stick it on the fridge, so I just need to look on there to see what I"m cooking for supper.

The New Messie Manual (a book with lots of organizational tips) suggests just writing out four weeks of meal plans and the groceries you need for each week and cycling through them each month. Apparently the average family generally eats the same 20 things over and over again anyway. I find this too rigid, but if you're really busy you only have to do this once and then it is all set up for you.

Hope that helps. Well, I'd better go tidy while ds is still napping.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#93 of 120 Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadege5
...How do I save, organize, decide WHAT to save from kid to kid? Obviously I dont want to save everything for yrs and yrs, styles, fashions change etc...
I had a similar issue with hand-me-downs for my 4 kids. I bought each of them an 18-gallon Rubbermaid tub (a different colour for each child), and keep ONLY those things that are in "like-new" condition, and only those things that my kids like (and, therefore, might actually wear. ) Each tub is stored under the respective child's bed. (You might have to put the bed on risers to make enough room for the tub to fit underneath it.)

I keep a list of what is in the tubs (on 3 x 5 index cards) and whenever one of the kids needs something, I check the list to see if I have whatever they need in the tub. When the tubs get too full, or when I get an influx of hand-me-downs, I sort through and eliminate the things that have gone out of fashion (or out of favour with my child. ).

It's not a perfect system, but it helps to keep the hand-me-downs somewhat organized and accessible.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#94 of 120 Old 01-25-2006, 05:09 PM

kathirynne, I like your idea of writing everything down. I plan to implement a similar storage system soon, when we move into a bigger place in a few months (right now pretty much everything is in storage). I plan to have a big rubbermaid type box in the attic or garage for each child, marked "too small for W--", etc. When something is too small, we'll throw it in. At the change of seasons, or if one of the youngers needs something, we'll first go shopping in these three boxes. Things that are in the youngest's box will go to friends with younger kids or goodwill when we've got some accumulated.

If something is so stained/stretched faded that I wouldn't buy it used, I toss it in the rag/scrap pile. I also keep a bag or box in each child's room of clothes from last season that we'll try on again and decide if they'll fit another year or put in the "too small" box - for example, my boys each have a bag a clothes that fit them last summer in their closet, when the weather warms up we'll try these on before digging into the boxes or getting new stuff.

Hope that's clear - it is to me!
#95 of 120 Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace
...I do need to organize the hall closet. Any thoughts? I have regular size towels, kids towels, "blankies", blankets, and several different size bedsheets and pillowcases in there as well as cleaning supplies in the top drawer. Everything ends up mixed together within a few days.
I have eliminated the "linen closet" from my home. It just seemed more logical to store my "spares" at the point of their use then to devote an entire cupboard to them.

I have only one extra set of blankets/linens per bed. (I used to keep two extra sets each for the bedwetter and/or the baby, but we're beyond that stage, now. ) I store them, folded flat, between the mattress and the box spring. (This also eliminates the need to hunt for the appropriate size linens when I want to change the bed. )

Towels get rolled up and stored (standing upright) in a bushel basket in the loo. That way, someone can take "their" towel without causing a whole stack to collapse off of a shelf (and stay on the floor until Mum picks it up. : )

I use all-natural, non-toxic, (mostly home-made) cleaning supplies, so those are safe to store in a wire basket under the kitchen sink.

The cupboard that "should" be the linen closet I use, instead, to store all of the board games.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#96 of 120 Old 01-25-2006, 10:25 PM

subscribing...

I am in need of a good kick in the pants to start cleaning up my house. I have been queen of procrastination, plus I almost 38 weeks pregnant and run out of steam pretty quickly.

Some things I absolutely have to get done in the next week or so:

Clean out my office - it is also the guestroom, unfortunately, and we are expecting my MIL, arriving Feb 5 for 2 weeks, to set off a roll of visitors for the next couple of months. I made a deal with DH that if I "let" his mom come (not my first choice of "help" : at a stressful time - and I soooo need to be calm for labor!) that he would move my desk and computer out into the dining room so I could use it as I wished. Catch for me is that the desk is piled high with papers and junk and needs to be cleaned up, and I don't know where to put the papers I actually need to keep.

Load up the new baby's dresser with the clothes and dipes etc. I washed and folded everything over a week ago and it's still sitting in the laundry basket...

Just give the house a good once-over cleaning since I don't expect to be up for doing it after the baby arrives. Dust bunnies rule here at this point! I really wish we could afford someone to come clean for us for the next few months...tho when my sister comes she will do it for sure. She is really great that way.

Prepare a bunch of food for the freezer.

Any other decluttering is just going to have to wait awhile. Most of it is in closets and the basement so not as bothersome at this point. I think our biggest problems come from lack of a system to deal with papers, and lack of storage/display space for things like books, photos, the few nice knick-knacky things we have. Lots of our stuff is still in boxes (we moved almost 4 years ago and have to go digging periodically to find what we're looking for), books piled up every which way on the small shelf we have, etc.
#97 of 120 Old 01-27-2006, 03:43 PM

i don't even know if I've replied to this thread yet or not. haha.

Well, basically, my story is this. I live in a big, old house with 3 boys and a DH. Another baby will be here in about 2 mths. So I am trying desperately to get motivated to de-clutter and clean the house and keep it that way. When I was doing flylady last year it worked so well for me. My house was clean ALL THE TIME and I was able to keep up with the numerous emails. However, when I first got PG this time around I was very sick and very tired so nothing was getting done. Only recently have I really gotten back in the swing of things where the house...well, doesn't look THAT bad, but it's not FlyLady clean, like it used to be. MIL would walk in and say things like, "I see the genie has been to SOMEbodies house!" It made me feel so good. And we all know that the majority of DH's around the country don't take notice of the housework that gets done. Or at least MINE doesn't. LOL Anyway...

I want this house in order when the baby comes so that when I have company I don't have to worry about unecessary clutter and mess everywhere.

Just today I have scrubbed my kitchen cabinets, countertops, cleaned off the top of the fridge, cleaned out the china cabinet and tossed some of grandma's old candy dishes and such. Well, I put them back in a box to take to MY mom. I told her I wanted it out of my house. I have to de-clutter my boys rooms every couple of weeks to get rid of stuff, broken toys whatever. If they don't clean up their messes, I tend to pick it up and toss it in the trash without a second thought about it.

I also find that I clean my house well and then my sons come through and tear it up again. That is a major frustration to me and the only thing that helps is throwing their stuff away and trying to get them to clean it up themselves....using the threat of tossing it. Works alot of the time.

My MAJOR problem is that my mom is constantly giving me stuff. Right now I have an antique piano that DH wants gone. I hate to just give it away. It's from 1911 and it's beautiful. And DH has put it on the internet for sale.... no luck so far.

Wrote a book, didn't I? Sorry about that. Well, back to cleaning, I guess. LOL
#98 of 120 Old 01-27-2006, 03:52 PM

What recipes do you use for your cleaning supplies? I am very interested in this. TIA!
#99 of 120 Old 01-28-2006, 01:07 AM

jefsjen - when I was pg with my third my house went downhill fast for the first 5 months or so, then the nesting kicked in and I got everything back in order. Every few days I would get a burst of energy and I'd get caught up on everything, then slack off for a few days, but by the end, things were in pretty good shape. Use those pg fits of nesting to your advantage!
#100 of 120 Old 01-28-2006, 02:31 AM

Hi, I'm subscribing! I'm really trying to declutter and get organized. I know that I will feel so much better when our house is more together. We have an office that has plain plaster walls and wallpaper on the ceiling with a crazy bare lightbulb hanging down in the middle of the room. Our hallway going upstairs is still just plaster, too. Needless to say, we live in an old bungalow and she needs some attention. The walls and such wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't also have to look at all the extra stuff we have that we don't need, mainly clothes that we have no closet space for, laying around all over the place. I am sick of constantly shifting this stuff around, so I am getting rid of anything we haven't worn in the past few years, and things that I have worn but I hate. They are outta here!
My mentor in college todl me about a book she had seen where they had pictures of people all over the world, standing outside of their homes with every single one of their belongings also out in front of their home. She said it was profound and obscene how much stuff some people had compared to others. I still think about that and how embarrassed I would be if all of our belongings were out on our lawn. Ugh.
Anyway, I'm in a major decluttering zone and excited about getting my house in order. Thinking about joining motivated moms to give me some good ideas, but it looks like this is going to be very helpful, too!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#101 of 120 Old 01-30-2006, 02:41 AM

i am in the process of making and maintaining our home in an organized clean way!
it is so exciting- right now- I do not feel the usual guilt for being on here- cause EVERYTHing is done= pretty mucH...
Emilie
#102 of 120 Old 01-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Banned

i need to join. i am on a roll and organizing the closets and trying to clean and maintain cleaning. i think of hiring a cleaner, but realize i can do a better job
#103 of 120 Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Has anyone ever tried the SHE file-card system to stay organized? I think it might be similar to flylady (I didn't stick with it long enough to know). I found it on organizedhome.com and that led me to another link (I'll post them in a minute).
http://www.organizedhome.com/content-27.html
http://members.tripod.com/~frankysj/org-00.html - this explains the basic system.

Basically, you keep all the things you need to do written on index cards in a box. You sort them by day, month, and section of the house. Then every week you put the cards you want to do on the days you want to do them, and also keep a stack of daily cards for things you do every day. In the morning you pull out your stack of cards and do them. As you finish the thing, you put the card away (a daily card would go in the next day's spot, a section card back into the section, and a monthly / yearly / weekly card back wehre you will next need it). It sounds pretty cool, becuase I often have trouble keeping track of what I need to do when. That way it takes all the "lets see, what do I need to do next?" thinking time away (I spend a lot of time doing that). Also if you are, say, distracted by your toddler for 20 min, you can come back and see what you need to do, rather than thinking "oh, I think what I REALLY need to do is check my MDC".

Has anyone tried / had success with this?

#104 of 120 Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 PM

A woman in my homeschooling group uses the index card method. She uses it for her schooling and for her cleaning/chores. I guess she likes it. She gave a talk on it last month but I missed it.

I just realized this week that all my decluttering has really started paying off. The house still gets majorly trashed but it takes ALOT less time to clean. Things have "homes" and we have way less things than we used to. I"m loving it! It's taken me 10+ years of marriage to figure this out!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#105 of 120 Old 02-03-2006, 10:46 PM

We have noticed the decluttering making a huge difference too! Isn't it cool?! I have had a local carity come pic stuff up once a month for the last three months. We have them coming next Friday again! I love how freeing it is to get rid of stuff!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#106 of 120 Old 02-04-2006, 12:46 AM

I want to sub here too

I re-joined Flylady a few weeks ago and it's going well. I know not everyone likes her but it works for me. When I do it I don't pay attention to the email reminders but I read most of the testimonials and her essays. It's more the system and the ideas that help me. The "you can do anything for 15 minutes" idea and her lectures about how perfectionism is a bad thing both really inspire me.

The SHE index card system is where Flylady started. She talks alot about that and often mentions that it's their system, not hers, she just converted it to the computer.

The last few days I've been thinking I might want to try the index card system myself. Right now I have my control journal on the computer and when I have a huge list to do I print it out, but I think index cards in a pretty box would work better. I like the idea of being able to put a card in the "done" section. Sounds like it would be satisfying

As for laundry (the discussion from a month ago, ) I do a load every day. I wash everyone's stuff together, I just sort it by color. And every few days I do the kitchen towels. We don't have a dryer so I can't get too behind. No knocking out 4 loads of laundry when you line dry. Though on a sunny summer day I can sometimes get 2 or 3 if I have to. In winter, or on rainy days, when I dry things on a line in the basement, it takes a full day for things to dry. Also, for me, the worst part of laundry is the folding and putting away. Because of that I'd rather do a little every day than do a huge amount at one time.

I also really try to get the kids involved in a fun way.

But when it comes to really trashed messes, that's my dh's job. I just can't do it. I see a huge mess and my mind freaks, I start to panic, I don't know where to start. I eventually find myself standing in the kitchen with chocolate in my hand, not knowing how I got there Dh doesn't get it. He says you just pick something and start. He doesn't do maintenence though, so we're a good team. He cleans the huge messes, I keep them up afterward

My house is still a work in progress but I'm happy with how it's improved over the past few weeks Now to keep it up
#107 of 120 Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 AM

I'm trying desperately to declutter, but it's going slow- my 9mo won't let me put him down these days, much less walk 2 feet away from him, so I can't do as much as I'd like, but I'm pushing along. I'm trying Flylady and it's helping- at least I'm keeping my kitchen managable and it feels really good to come downstairs to a clean sink every morning. Setting the timer for 15 min per room at night is helping me not feel overwhelmed- my downstairs is getting picked up at least. I would love to have a whole day to go through and fill donation bags up with no kids here, though. I bet I could get rid of LOTS of clutter that way.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#108 of 120 Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 AM

KayleeZoo if you have a backpack or back carrier, try that
#109 of 120 Old 02-04-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I want to sub here too

I re-joined Flylady a few weeks ago and it's going well. I know not everyone likes her but it works for me. When I do it I don't pay attention to the email reminders but I read most of the testimonials and her essays. It's more the system and the ideas that help me. The "you can do anything for 15 minutes" idea and her lectures about how perfectionism is a bad thing both really inspire me.

The SHE index card system is where Flylady started. She talks alot about that and often mentions that it's their system, not hers, she just converted it to the computer.

The last few days I've been thinking I might want to try the index card system myself. Right now I have my control journal on the computer and when I have a huge list to do I print it out, but I think index cards in a pretty box would work better. I like the idea of being able to put a card in the "done" section. Sounds like it would be satisfying

As for laundry (the discussion from a month ago, ) I do a load every day. I wash everyone's stuff together, I just sort it by color. And every few days I do the kitchen towels. We don't have a dryer so I can't get too behind. No knocking out 4 loads of laundry when you line dry. Though on a sunny summer day I can sometimes get 2 or 3 if I have to. In winter, or on rainy days, when I dry things on a line in the basement, it takes a full day for things to dry. Also, for me, the worst part of laundry is the folding and putting away. Because of that I'd rather do a little every day than do a huge amount at one time.

I also really try to get the kids involved in a fun way.

But when it comes to really trashed messes, that's my dh's job. I just can't do it. I see a huge mess and my mind freaks, I start to panic, I don't know where to start. I eventually find myself standing in the kitchen with chocolate in my hand, not knowing how I got there Dh doesn't get it. He says you just pick something and start. He doesn't do maintenence though, so we're a good team. He cleans the huge messes, I keep them up afterward

My house is still a work in progress but I'm happy with how it's improved over the past few weeks Now to keep it up
You sound a lot like me. I freak over the huge cleaning jobs, but do better at the maintenence stuff too. I have kept up on my laundry completely for 2 weeks now. i think this is the first time ever!!

#110 of 120 Old 02-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
KayleeZoo if you have a backpack or back carrier, try that
Shannon, he doesn't like being in the front-carry in the Ergo but I haven't tried the back carry with it, but I will today! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#111 of 120 Old 02-04-2006, 12:05 PM

Yes! You must try the back carry with the Ergo! It's how I've gotten anything done with my last two babies. I love that thing! Without it we'd live in a pit of dirty dishes and dirty laundry

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#112 of 120 Old 02-05-2006, 01:10 AM

:

Yay for Amy and Debi for getting some refreshing decluttering done! I did a ton of decluttering his past spring, and it feels SO good.

This week I decluttered a lower cupboard in the bathroom that I hadn't done yet and now it is beautiful. Everything is in two little boxes and there is . . . . SHELF SPACE! Its a miracle! And I was caught up enough on everything today to actually go and do some quilting for an hour during ds' nap.

I think the card system will work well for me because I like something tactile, and I like to write things down. Also, if I'm cooking something from my recipie box, I can just put the recipie card in the file. And also I like little boxes full of things. They make me happy. I think it will be good if they are full of positive, helpful things instead of mysterious but somehow important objects.

I am also in the process of spending time in every room in my house with a notebook measuring walls, windows, etc. that I would like to put things on, and writing a list of organizing things I need (baskets, broom holders, recycling bins, etc). I meant to do it all this week, but then I didn't.

#113 of 120 Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 AM

I finally broke down and bought the best thing ever today - a label maker! I bought it at Target for $20 and I've been labeling things all night! It's awesome! Why, oh why did I wait so long?

#114 of 120 Old 02-05-2006, 02:07 AM

Ooohh, what kinds of things are you labeling?

I bought the motivated moms calendar, but my printer is not working, so I can't print it out.

#115 of 120 Old 02-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Well, I had these organizer/bookshelf things from Target (they are seperate cubes) and I organized our books (kids) by subject so I labeled that. I also put our diapers in there, some cubes of board games, etc. I labeled the shelves where I keep the kid's school supplies and the container for all the library items. Today's a new day and I'll be labeling away

#116 of 120 Old 02-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
Well, I had these organizer/bookshelf things from Target (they are seperate cubes) and I organized our books (kids) by subject so I labeled that. I also put our diapers in there, some cubes of board games, etc. I labeled the shelves where I keep the kid's school supplies and the container for all the library items. Today's a new day and I'll be labeling away
sounds like fun!!!

#117 of 120 Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 PM

Someone asked about meal planning...yikes...my weakest spot. Last year I came up with a pretty good system (for our family). I wrote down all of the meals that we like to eat (not complicated ones); which ended up being about 30 meals. Great...30 days...30 meals. My husband is a vegetarian, so most of our stuff is not the meat and 2 sides kind of dinner but more typically salad & lasagne. I took out 6 small pieces (or index cards) of paper and divided the list into 5 meals per piece of paper (you could also do 6 meals on 5 cards). Instead of trying to plan a menu each week, I just take out the paper and then do my shopping. I found that it takes a lot of stress out of my life. Also, you don't have to have that many meal ideas...15-20 would suffice for variety. Enjoy!
#118 of 120 Old 04-08-2006, 12:54 AM

subscribing myself in! I sometimes feel like pulling my hair out when I'm not on top of things during the day and the whole house is trashed! toys, school stuff, etc. It's not dirty, it's just messy! I can't help but think, what if someone knocked on the door right now? What would they think of how we live!?! I probably have some tips that i'll do later. right now I need to go tackle the just dried clothes that have been sitting on the couch getting wrinkled meaning that now i have to iron!!!:
#119 of 120 Old 04-10-2006, 12:59 PM

we divided up chores in the family. 1 person loads dishwasher, another unloads. ds brings laundry downstairs, i wash, seperate laundry baskets for everyone and linen closets. that way we nag each other to do things. if my ds doesn't unload the dishwasher, dd can't load and if she wants to go outside & play. . . chore have to be done first. the dishes are being done more often this way.
#120 of 120 Old 04-10-2006, 02:10 PM

Don't have time to post much, but I have been decluttering (giving away old baby/kids clothes, getting rid of my maternity stuff, etc) & trying to organize. I have been using a combo of Clean Home & Motivated Moms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page