Game suggestions instead of gifts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-23-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this Xmas, my mother suggested that we only get the kids gifts. Sounds great, right? No gifts that we don't need, no overcharged Visas. But the thing is, I'm now wondering what we are going to do all night. I deliberately didn't trim their tree yet - we go to my parents place for Christmas eve. There will be 5 adults and my two boys, and I guess we'll trim the tree before supper, then the boys will open their gifts... and then what??? This used to be a huge elaborate hour long affair, and now I think it'll be 5 minutes. She organized it this way because we were supposed to have a few of her friends and one of my friends, and she felt that they would feel left out, getting less gifts than everyone else, and that they shouldn't feel obliged to get everyone something. As it turns out, everyone but my friend cancelled.
Now I think we really need something to fill in the gap. Anyone have any fun game suggestions? Some fun versions of charades or trivia games... something that doesn't necessarily require a physical board game.I was thinking of setting up a treasure hunt in the house for the 2 boys (4 and 2).
Do any of you creative mamas have a suggestion for us?

Is this a case of frugal gone wrong? I guess we'll have to wait and see....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-23-2005, 08:22 PM

hopefully the boys will get gifts they want to play with right away?

For the last few years in our family, it's been gifts only for the kids, but we're talking 6 kids and 10-15 adults. Since many of us haven't seen each other since last year the grown ups all want to talk, and the kids run around like crazy things.

My sister also has been bringing enough nice (food basket type) gifts for one for each family group (my and dh, brother+sis in law, etc.) and we draw numbers for those gifts.

how about christmas caroling? or going for a drive/walk to see the lights?

charades is fun if you can get the grown-ups to participate whole-heartedly.

good luck
#3 of 4 Old 12-30-2005, 02:23 PM

So how did it go? I bet it went smoothly. Did you have fun playing games?
We just started buying only for the kids and it was an awesome Christmas not trying to spend tons of money we don't have buying people who buy whatever they want presents. :0) Here's to a less consumeristic Christmas Season.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#4 of 4 Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

You're right, it went really really well!
What ended up happening was I organized a treasure hunt for the boys. I said that all that Santa had left was a clue! I took an Ikea catalogue, and pasted pictures of different parts of the house onto construction paper (total time around 10 minutes) and placed them in a treasure hunt sequence (they are too young to read, but could follow the clues). The clues led to the 2 or 3 presents, which they carried to the living room and opened. They LOVED the treasure hunt, and I would say it was a great Christmas.
The next night at my m-i-l's there were a million and one presents, and the kids had a way harder time, and were only focussed on attacking the pile and "I want another one!". They HAD stayed up late the night before, but still, I couldn't help remark on the difference between the two events.
Definitely worth repeating next year - yay to "less is more"!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page