Anti-cluttering Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the posts in the decluttering challenge and really thought about that alot. I don't have any trouble finding stuff that can "go away". What I have a problem with is not bringing stuff into the house in the first place! I'm a thrift store nut!

So my challenge is: for every 8 items you get rid of (or whatever you're choosing as your goal) every day, add the goal of bringing in only 2 items MAX that day. Or make a maximum for the week so when you donate the week's purge, you only shop once for those handful of items you were allowing yourself to bring home.

I think that would exclude household things, like cleaners, foods, toiletries (stuff you need, not two extra lotions just because you like the smells and want to be entertained by the diversity of choice - hee hee), or stuff you stock up on, like TP, etc.

I'm thinking more along the lines of - you gave away 8 extra toddler shirts that baby didn't need, but baby needs a nice new shirt for visiting Grandma. So you give away the 8 but only bring in 1 replacement item. Or you splurge on new towels after getting rid of the old, but just don't pick up those matching shower curtain rings just 'cos!

So it's the other side of decluttering, which would be the additional goal of not cluttering in the first place! Does that make sense? Anyway I think that's MY real problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a rule. Bring a new one into the house, get the old one out of the house.
Example:
So you see a pair of black boots on markdown in the next few weeks- if you have been looking for a pair since your ones you have now are old, dated, worn, whatever- buy them. When you get home- throw out the old pair of black boots since they are old, worn out, dated whatever. See my point?

You bought a new toddler shirt because Grandma was visiting. Throw out the one that he/she outgrew with the nasty stain on the front that would not come out. No one wants stained stuff handed down.

You bought dc their new clothes for the new season. Got great buys or got stuff handed down or thrift shopping. All in total- 7 pieces. When you get home after putting the 7 pieces in the wash, go into dc's closet or dresser and take out 7 pieces that are worn out or stained, outgrown, or out of season. Sort them to donate, toss, and sell piles and make sure this gets done within a reasonable time.

So its easy to do once you get the hang of it. I have friends who do a huge decluttering right before a birthday and christmas to make room for the stuff coming in from it. I usually do it by the seasons to make way for the new stuff or changing things out.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

User Tag List