My GAWD, where do I start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-31-2005, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am overwhelmed with my home. I live in a large, 4 bedroom/2.5 bath house. We have an home-based business.....and LOTS of wasted space in the construction of our home....

I don't know where to begin with getting organized and making the best of the space I do have.

HELP.....any suggestions and ideas are welcome....please!!!!

Oh and I have 2 children, ages 4.5 and 6.5...two cats....and I do all the housework, cooking, etc....
#2 of 10 Old 12-31-2005, 03:57 AM

start by throwing out. I usually start with the kids closets, and work my way around the house with garbage bags for throw away and give away.
#3 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Our house has wasted space in the construction, too. Eventually, we'd like to put in some built in shelving. It will be easy because we have all the pictures of the house when it was just studs and there are a lot of little crannies that look like they were 'made' to have shelves built in there.

Start with one room at a time. Perhaps the kitchen. Get rid of utensils, gadgets, and small appliances that you don't use. Do you have room for all of your small appliances, cake pans, mixing bowls, tupperware, etc.? I don't, so I have a gorilla shelf in the garage that I use. I also put all of my baking supplies (I love to bake!!) in large Rubbermaid containers and store them out there (it's nice and cool). In the Summer, I may move them down to the basement.

Do you have a lot of magazines? Go through them and purge!!

A lot of CDs that you don't listen to? Purge!

A bathroom is another good room to start in. Do you have a lot of shampoos, lotions, perfumes that you don't use, but you hold onto "just in case"? Purge!! Does your stuff have a home? Create a home! Buy containers, baskets, or metal drawers to install (I found some cool one's at Lowes!!).

When we were in our other house, I noticed that the Master bedroom was the dumping ground (because we didn't have an extra room). So that room always needed sorting.

Get rid of clothing you, your dh, and your sons don't wear or outgrew. Make sure you purge their socks (outgrown or holy).

Linen closet -- are their linens that you just don't use? Too many sheet sets? Towels you don't like? Lumpy old pillows? Donate them!

HTH a little.
#4 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 11:11 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Kimmie, YOU ROCK!!!
I have done most of everything you suggested from New Years' up to today.
I am taking a break today from purging to do laundry..(never ending aorund here)
So far I have donated 2 truck loads, shipped our 3 packages of diapers that I fairy'ed & stuff I have sold on the TP, took a HUGE bag of all the half used and never used bathroom stuff to my women's circle last night and let them fight over it, got rid of all the kids stuff that doesn't fit....how many pillows can one home have? I donated 12 pillows yesterday and 8 sets of sheets in various sizes....

I have to remember that we just closed our home in November from doing foster care for over 10 years.... So, I donated 2 bunk beds and the mattress, as well...I have turned that room into the craft/play room...still need to find a home for everything in there...but it is coming along. Thank goodness...

My clothes and dh's...gone...no more clothes that are too big...or that i wore 10 years ago...

I actually gave away all kind of things from the drawers on my kitchen...OMG that was bad....old kitchen towels, gone....

I did have dh put up some shelves in the hallway/staircase going to the garage. There was this fairly large area that, again, was wasted space and the shelves work great there. I put all the kitchen stuff there...like slow cooker, food processor, stock pots, george foreman grill, etc...works out great!

Feeling pretty positive....and my family seems to be loving helping out...I am blessed to have some great helpers...

Cannning jars...I jsut can't seem to bring myself to getting tid of any....I draw the line there....even tho it makes dh crazy....BUT I can every year, ALOT...so I just am not going to get rid of them...organize them...that is it!!!
#6 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 PM

It sounds like you are making some great headway! See? You totally didn't even need our advice.

Keep up the great work, mama!

#7 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 PM

All I can say is WOW!!! You have been a busy gal!
#8 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Wow! You've done an awesome job, Jackie. I wish I was that productive!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#9 of 10 Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 AM

I hope to get that much done in a MONTH!!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#10 of 10 Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 AM

Way to go, Jackie!!! That's awesome!

You're quite an inspiration to the rest of us !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page