Anyone use Motivated Moms? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2006, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought this & downloaded it last night after reading about all of your experiences with it here so today is my first day and I really think this will help me out ALOT (I really struggle with my housework right now as a newly widowed/single mom of 2 young children) and it's soooo EASY it looks doable with my chaotic life!

everyone keeps urging me to get a cleaning lady but 1) I can't afford it and 2) I hate someone else cleaning my house! (it seriously disturbs me, even if it's my own mother)

btw I definitly won't be changing the bathroom towels so much I added a chore there that fits better with my family (pick up toys,etc. in hallway-as that always needs to be done!)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 06:06 PM

I printed out the sample page(s) and think I can figure out how to make up my own lists. Maybe I'm wrong? What exactly do you get for the 7 dollars?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:45 PM

The chores are rotated so each week is not the same. There are things you're reminded to do in the month or quarterly, etc. so I think its worth the $7. Its pretty extensive... JMHO

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 AM

Okay!

Do I need to start off with a totally clean and decluttered home before I start MM's???? Be honest!!

mp
Old 02-06-2006, 04:10 PM

I've joined too!

I like it. I like how there is a small amount of things to do each day. And it's so satisfying to check things off.

mamapoppins: my house is neither clean nor decluttered at the moment and I just jumped right in. With the way the plan works, you're doing just a little bit each day, so that over a period of time everything will eventually be decluttered and maintained.

You could always add your own "declutter for 15 minutes" or something like that to your plan.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
Old 02-06-2006, 05:45 PM

So far so good...but I am concerned that major areas seem to be getting missed...

Can anyone who has been doing this longer tell me if they do eventually get around to everything?

tia!
Joanna
Old 02-06-2006, 06:18 PM

I have been doing it now for about 8 weeks, and they do get around to most of the stuff, but I perceive this to be more of a very good skeleton. If you do it every day, you find yoruself with both the time and the energy to tackle more housework, even if you don't "have to."

It's awesome.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:22 AM

I'm jumping back in with the system after missing a few weeks during the worst of my first trimester m/s - I'm really liking it! I feel like my house is looking so much better by just doing the daily stuff, let alone the weekly tasks. In case you couldn't guess, my housecleaning is reaaaallllyyy poor. The other day my mom came over, in the morning, no less, and for about the first time I can remember ever, I wasn't doing a mad scramble to make the place presentable before she got here. When the basics are taken care of, like Wolfmeis, I find I have more energy to tackle the bigger cleaning projects of my own volition.

When it says change bathroom towels, btw, I change the hand towel, not the actual bath towels. Those get changed about once a week, but the hand towels can definitely use it more often.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 PM

so far so good here. it's only been a couple of days but I already see a big difference and feel more organized! I am already starting to tackle other much needed household projects as well, so it's working for me so far!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Is there anyone who is succeeding at MM while homeschooling more than one or two children? I'm thinking of joining again but my time is so limited...

CC
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 PM

can anyone tell me, how often does it list cleaning the bathroom and mopping the floors for example.
( or is it split up like one day clean teh bathroom sink, another day the toilet etc)

i need those things written in cuz i hate doing them but if they are on a 'to do' list i'm way more motivated.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyCozy
Is there anyone who is succeeding at MM while homeschooling more than one or two children? I'm thinking of joining again but my time is so limited...

CC
This week is not a good measure as the kids have been sick but in general, yes, I'm using it. I find it much more realistic than fly lady or anything else I've tried. HTH.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
can anyone tell me, how often does it list cleaning the bathroom and mopping the floors for example.
( or is it split up like one day clean teh bathroom sink, another day the toilet etc)

i need those things written in cuz i hate doing them but if they are on a 'to do' list i'm way more motivated.
They are written out seperate (clean the sink one day, the toilet another). I personally do the bathrooms all in one day but I do like the reminder that she has.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 02-09-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyCozy

CC
I homeschool and I have three children. I like it specifically BECAUSE I homeschool. If I keep to the list it keeps me on task and I don't go into a cleaning frenzy.

The children also get involved because a task is "on the list."
Old 02-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks! I might give it another go. My kids have checklists of their own and it would do them good to see Mom have a chore checklist, too!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:10 PM

I orginally started with the Flylady on Monday, but it just seemed so confusing to me. I hate cleaning in the first place and with all the reminders and not knowing exactly where to start and what to do it was overwhelming for me. So yesterday thanks to all your post I looked at MM and I decided to give it a try. I printed out the Thursday and Fridays list and I am 3/4 done and its only 9:05am est. Thats more than what I get done in 2 days. I think that the $7.00 is worth it to me. I have put the list on the refrigerator and cross them off as I do things or I look to see what will need done later and if its a small task I will just do it and be done. So I have gotten 2 days worth done within 12hrs not really breaking a sweat and getting overly tired (9wks preg).

I am going to go buy a dry erase board and put the weekly task on it each week and maybe start handing out some of the chores to do the younger ones and DH. He is amazed how clean the house is starting to look, especially the kitchen I do make sure the dishes are done and put away at night and the sink is shining before I go to bed. I hated waking up and seeing a sink full of dishes. As far as clutter goes, I am just adding 15 min here and there every other day to attend to that.

Susan
Old 02-11-2006, 03:37 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie.willett
I've been looking at Motivated Moms and I think that it looks great for when I was a SHAM. I'm trying to decide if it's flexible enough for a 2-income household with all the crazy stuff we've got going on. Any other WOHMs using it??

This is my question, too.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 AM

I think it is. THe daily chores are mostly things that have to be done, like the dishes. Some you could move to every other day if you needed to (like sweeping the kitchen floor) or delegate to the kids.

I printed out the day planner size one, but didn't cut them appart, so I am looking at two weeks worth of stuff at a time. Then I can work ahead when I have time. Or cross off some things that are listed as weekly, and make them evey other week instead.

I WOTH 20 hours a week.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:03 PM

*sigh* beginning to feel like something is wrong with me, 'cause I can't seem to keep up with this system either...and I am really trying!

Joanna
Old 02-15-2006, 05:43 PM

WoadAbode: if by "keep up" you mean having everything on the list done and checked off each day, I'm not keeping up either!

I do not have everything on the list crossed off by the end of the day. Far from it. What usually immobilizes me is that I look at the mess and don't know where to begin. So what I like about the list is that when I have the time and energy, I can look at the list and have somewhere to start.

I like to look at the week at a whole. Sometimes I do one or two things for that day, sometimes I might do something from another day, etc.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Just use the list as a guideline and go from there.

HTH,
Loon

Old 02-15-2006, 06:17 PM

I downloaded it but haven't been using it. This thread is inspiring me to get back to it.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:50 PM

....if I said some of this stuff has never even occured to me? Geez no wonder my house looks so bad. Then again I was raised with a housekeeper and now I dont' have one.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
*sigh* beginning to feel like something is wrong with me, 'cause I can't seem to keep up with this system either...and I am really trying!
Yeah - I'm a pretty UN motivated mom today. Frankly I don't think I've ever done everything on the list, EVER, but the stuff I do helps. Every little bit counts.

Quote:
....if I said some of this stuff has never even occured to me?
I'm not going to admit which ones, and I didn't grow up with a housekeeper, but definitely some of this stuff was like, uh okay..........THAT'S interesting.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 AM

I am thinking about mm so I'll read along for a little while during my procrastination
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM

Wow, you guys TOTALLY got me! I'm ordering it right now. The owners of the service must be wondering what the heck is going on with the sudden influx of orders

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 02-17-2006, 05:01 AM

I've been thinking about getting this forever...and kept telling myself that "heck, I could just make that little planner". Of course, did I ever make it? No. So tonight I bought it and I can't WAIT to start using it and checking things off. I need a kick in the pants and this is it. Yay!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Old 02-17-2006, 05:16 AM

I downloaded it a few weeks ago but I have not been doing so well...um, which means I haven't been doing it at all. :

I think I need something more than a planner...like, maybe some Ritalin ...

Anyway, it is still on my fridge, and hopefully next week I can make a fresh start and begin checking things off daily.

I think part of my problem is that since I know I'll *never* get everything checked off every day, I have trouble prioritizing what to work on. Obviously I end up doing *some* of the tasks, but no more than I was doing before MM. So I'm trying to figure out how I can make this system work for me without becoming totally perfectionistic with it and burning out 4 days in...
Old 02-17-2006, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subscribing! Last night DH was into his "you're not doing FlyLady" rant : It worked fine with 1 child, but now where is there time in the day to all of the other stuff? So, since I do like a lot of FlyLady, I think I'll give MM a try and just use some of the FlyLady stuff too. (I'd already modified it quite a bit anyway)

Never heard of MM until today! I downloaded the list and it looks great. I love making lists and crossing this off

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 02-17-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight
I've been thinking about getting this forever...and kept telling myself that "heck, I could just make that little planner". Of course, did I ever make it? No. So tonight I bought it and I can't WAIT to start using it and checking things off. I need a kick in the pants and this is it. Yay!
Yeah, that was me too. I came across Motivated Moms last year and thought "Oh, I'll just make my own." Er, never did. In fact I forgot all about it until this thread. :
IMHO, it was well worth the $7 to buy it and just print it out.

And could I use any more smilies in this thread?? <<<< Oops, just did!! LOL!

Old 02-17-2006, 05:44 PM

and I have to say the house is looking a little better. I mean some things have gotten wiped/cleaned that have never been really cleaned before. We've only been in this section of the house for about 6months and I do have it housecleaned twice a year, but I bet those cleaning people are going to think we've come down with something when they come in a couple weeks.

It's really helping dp not feel so overwhelmed with the little lists I leave every day (that he pretty much ignored) he's excited he can mark it off and then I can't say anything when it's all crossed off. We're both happy with the results. Hopefully you ladies will keep this thread going and I'll keep remembering to put new ones on the fridge

User Tag List