Paperwork -- do I have to keep those health ins statements... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-02-2006, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...that say, "We paid $xxx, you owe $XX." They're all piled up, but I can't figure out why I'd need to keep them. And we have dental ones, too! We definitely don't qualify to take the medical deduction for taxes, so I'm hoping to toss them. Anyone?
TIA,
Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#2 of 8 Old 01-02-2006, 01:40 AM

Do you have access to your claims online? Many big insurance companies are offering this now. If you do I say shred em.

Otherwise....not sure. I would guess no as long as you have received the bill for the remaining portion and all looks ok.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#3 of 8 Old 01-02-2006, 02:06 PM

This is what I've been doing for years:

When you pay a bill, keep that statement with the check #, amount, and date paid written on it. When you get the next statement, make sure that everything is correct and shred the previous month's bill.

This will work with all statments: medical bills, credit cards, utilities, etc.

If you pay off something -- a revolving credit card, a loan, a medical bill, etc. -- keep the letter or statement that the company will send you that says that the account is paid in full. You may need this letter or statement in the future in case the company ever comes to you saying you owe them money. Also, your credit rating can sometimes be affected by these things, but if you have proof that it has been paid in full, it makes things a lot easier when it comes to correcting your credit report if needed.

If your talking about your Explanation of Benefits that medical and dental insurance companies send you, I do these a little bit differently. I will usually get a statement from the medical/dental office where the visit took place. If I get an EOB from the insurance company, then I get a statement from the office for the same visit and the statement says that all has been paid up and we're good, then I throw the EOB away and keep the statement from the medical office. kwim? If I don't receive a statement from the medical/dental office, then I hold onto the EOB in case a dispute ever comes up. I don't know if this is the 'necessary' way to do it, but this is what I do.
#4 of 8 Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM

Kimmie, I bow to your organizational magesty!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#5 of 8 Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 PM

Just be sure to shred not toss. Most insurance companys still use SS# as policy numbers.

Personally I let them pile up for a few months then shred.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#6 of 8 Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM

I use them to check proper billing from the doctor or hospital. I've had many occasions where they try to overbill or even 2 instances where they came back several years later saying we owed money when we had in fact paid everything. So I save them just to be safe.

I also have a FSA (flexible spending account) so I can claim some of my medical expenses pre-tax. This is different than deducting medical expenses on your taxes. I use those insurance statements to file the paperwork to get my cash out of the FSA to reimburse me for medical expenses.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#7 of 8 Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 PM

I keep mine separated by person and then in order of date received. We have had issues with doctor's offices wanting payments even though they have been paid by the insurance company. It is just easier for me to have the paper than to look online.

I use a file folder with the EOB on one side and the bills on the other.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#8 of 8 Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM

It's a newer thing for me too but so much is avail online that if you can't access it and you really need it the clinic or company can! I decided to get rid of all those empty checkbooks and everything! it is so nice!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page