January declutter challenge-we did it- we got rid of 9966 items!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2006, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You mamas have inspired me! We are moving sometime soon and I do NOT want to move all our clutter with us.

So far my count is... 12. Not doing so great. I am a packrat, and sentimental to boot so this is a tough one for me, but by gum I am going to do it. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer
I don't know if there is an official rule on this but I am counting the yard sale stuff. It's out in the garage and neatly boxed and labeled and waiting for Spring.

I hit 500 yesterday, well 602 actually. I tackled my desk which was just a mess. It's so nice to not have an avalanche of stray papers, reciepts and bills fall on me as I try to type! If I keep this up I think I'll hit 1,000 no problem. I can't believe all the stuff around here that still needs to be looked at. It's a small house but the clutter always finds plenty of places to hide.

Wow 602 already!!

I agree- no official rule, I think this is just to get everyone moving and clear out their house and have some fun & support. Its an honor system thing imo.
Besides we already had some people hit the mark and then some so it helps the rest of us!

BTW- my official count 270 and yesterday I sold 7 items on the TP and they are boxed up and at the door waiting for my mail carrier to pick them up. so now its 270. I still have to do knick knacks and other things like that.

I think mending an item that has been sitting around counts as well. Now its useful, before it was just sitting around.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-10-2006, 07:31 PM

And most of that is from going through my file cabinet: old statements, receipts, old tax returns, old medical recipts. I do this every January, but I never stopped to count. Counting is definitely an incentive.

The rest of it was about 20 items of clothes and shoes I donated. 2 ratty old pairs of shoes I threw out. Some catalouges and magazines I threw out.

The hard part about finding stuff to purge though, is that most of it is MY stuff. DH is traveling right now and it's not my place to toss his stuff. And my dd seems to remember every item she owns. Although to her credit, she did try to fit into an old Halloween costumes that she used for dress-up and deciding it was too small, she said she wanted to give it "to the other little girl." [translation: another little girl]

Moving on to find more....

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 PM

21 items freecycled , 2 items of holey clothing tossed, 2 HUGE bags of papers and misc from the upstairs office (way too much to count so i'll call it 20) for a total of 43 today. that's 43 + 87 = 130. woo-hoooo!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 PM

Well I am going to take the challenge. Even if I fail and only get to 250, I have done pretty well. I feel inspired reading some of these posts. Off to make a dent in the kitchen!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 PM

I got the items I mentioned above to goodwill as well as another box I had forgotten about and the book and I also cleaned out the car last night some so I think that brings me up to about 280. It feels so good to do this! Love this purging!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Ohh I never even thought of the cars!!!! Dh's alone could be 50 items.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 AM

243 was my last posted total, i have not completed my kitchen and got rid of about 60 more items, papers, boxes, old bills, stuff that has pilled up on top of the freezer and fridge. I also took some vases and items to my shed to be rumaged this spring... 310 now.... that's mostly kitchen stuff... i still have my laundry room tomorrow it's a very small room so shoudln't be more then 1/2 the day hopefully then i can start my bedroom! And that could take 3-5 days!!! It's bad! since no one sees it i hardly every declutter it, it mainly catches things. I did get my good will items to goodwill yesterday so that was removed from my car then i threw out about 30 items (dh is big clutter in the car) so that's 340!!! YIPPY
Old 01-11-2006, 01:04 AM

Prior total was 99 - only pitched 9 items today, so I still have a LONG way to go! New total is 108

I'm eventually going to get there - just been a bad couple of days in terms of being over-busy and really feeling exhausted... However, I can start small - pick a drawer and start pitching. No excuse not to do that

But for tonight, I'm going to get my beauty sleep (and baby sleep!) and tackle the decluttering tomorrow morn.

Blessings - and happy decluttering - to all!
Shelley
Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 PM

So, my count is only up to 25, but I'm just getting started. One of those items was a Kalhua bottle that had been sitting in the corner of my kitchen counter for over a year. It only had about a tablespoon of Kalhua left in it which I, umm, "disposed" of. :

I am excited, though, because I just got a postcard that the Big Brother Big Sister Foundation will be collecting next week and I just have to leave stuff in bags on my porch to be picked up. Anybody know anything good or bad about that organization? Their website said they collect resellable items, sort them and resell. So, this weekend's plan is to go through the closets and outgrown kids clothes to donate. I don't like selling clothes at yard sales and only eBay good name brand stuff which I don't have much of.

Also, I decided that anytime I open a drawer or a closet I should challenge myself to throw out at least one thing from it. I did this yesterday with my dresser drawer that is for misc. stuff instead of clothes and tossed 8 items plus found some beads from an old broken necklace that I gave to dd.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Just started last night, but my total is up to 30! I tackled the tea/vitamin cabinet in the kitchen and got rid of lots of old things! Wowee!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:21 PM

19 more items this morning... brings me to 127! And it's only 10:22am. I have TONS of time today to find more items to pitch/donate
Old 01-11-2006, 01:22 PM

I got rid of another 9 items yesterday and I wasn't even trying to de-clutter just vacuum the front room and marinade dinner. So my total is up to 34. I'm hoping to hit the nursery today.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:42 PM

We are in the middle of moving and I made a similar challenge to myself. As we pack I am getting rid of stuff and as we unpack I am finding more. I will definitely have to start counting. Truthfully I think I am already in the 300-400 range. A friend told me that a bunch of people here were doing the same thing, so I had to chime in.

Does anyone know what I can do with a bunch of old trophies? I can't imagine anyone would want them and it doesn't seem right just to throw them in the trash.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok- I am up to 336. I have now been just grabbing a shopping bag and going thru cabinets and pitching things. I did my makeup today, my purse, dd's hair stuff drawer- she has plenty of hair barrettes etc I find out!!

I looked in the cabinet in the kitchen and there are some weird spices that need to go- better go do those!

As far a trophies- go thru and decide which ones meant the most and choose 1-3. Pitch the rest.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Does anyone know what I can do with a bunch of old trophies?
Just lurking and saw this... perhaps you could arrange them really nicely on a dark fabric background and take a few pictures from different angles to get all of them in the pictures... then toss 'em if you don't want them, but you will still have the "memory"..you could even make a collage out of the pictures and put it in a frame on your wall...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:23 PM

Previous total was 55, and I got rid of 10 more things in the girls' room, and 6 more in my kitchen, so that makes 71! I have a long way to go, but this week I have painted the girls room blue! and replaced a broken window in there, so not much time for decluttering. I only hit a few cabinets, and just threw away stuff I saw that was broken, instead of putting it away. I don't keep much extra in my kitchen b/c it's so small, but I think I can definately get my count up whenever I work on those cabinets . I also have my hall closet to tackle, and my closet!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:14 PM

Well I didn't get much done today at all... well i did get a TON done for the coop i'm doing but NO decluttering at alll... i threw out prolly 10 randem things just while going through the house, ect. so i'm about 350 and i think when dh gets home I will make myself start on the laundry room... Thankgoodness today was trash pick up day b/c i really couldn't fit another bag into the trash barrel!!! LOL
Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

337, just sold something on ebay!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:23 AM

In the past 2 days, I have:

mailed off 50 items (12 to my mom and the rest in MDC swaps)
sold 2 items
tossed 88 items

My total so far is 311. I'm getting there!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:34 AM

Another 20 items this evening - cleared out the silverware drawer of junk and recycled a bunch of old magazines

New total - 147!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

344- just got rid of stuff on the tp!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

oops 346 just sold two more gotta love the tp and ebay. Time to list some more stuff!

I will try not to buy any of the other mamas here selling since that will just subtract my number- right??

Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 AM

Well got the laundry room started last night when dh got home... threw out soooo much out of that little room. I'd say 100 items out and only 1/2 threw and didn't even open the pantry so i'm up to 450 out of just 2 rooms that's really sad that i had so much junk in my house!!! Feels GREAT to get it out though!!! I need to get some stuff on the TP and ebay but i'm really bad about taking time to do so.. easier to just box it for rumage sale....
Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Becky- my thoughts on the tp and ebay. If you want to get rid of something quickly and its something another family could use and you just would have given it away- tp

If its something you want to get rid of that would fetch a bit of cash, ebay all the way.

Its worth the effort in some ways but others, I can see just getting it out of the house is easier too!

Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM

I'm in! I sent (7) things for a swap today. Wasn't much, but I'm not counting them individually, as most of the stuff was a 'set' of stuff. I'm going down to my kitchen to see what I can get rid of!

Once I hit the garage, it's all over! I hope to be able to do it this weekend. Of course, we've been 'meaning' to do it since August!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:21 PM

I had to take a couple days off from the decluttering mission to help my brother unpack his house but I am back to work today. I've only found 11 more items to get rid of but spent the morning organizing dd's clothes and was all happy and proud to be done when I realized there was a whole other huge plastic bin of clothes to go through. Off to tackle that!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Was at 71, cleaned out my clothes, added 45, and cleaned up girls room again, 10 more!

I'm at 126 now! I have onr trash bag and one give away bag that I'm hauling room to room and filling
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM

I have been trying to declutter as much as possible. It's quite difficult at the moment due to Avon's having shortened the campaigns from 3 weeks to 2 weeks and a promotion I'm doing but I'm hoping to do it as I can!

So far I have been able to pass on:
Four bags of clothes that are too small for Hope (and that I wasn't attached too)
A Barbie jeep and motorcycle
A mini nativity set (Freecycle)
Three large boxes of styrofoam Ss, air paks etc for mailing packages (Freecycle)
Children's books that I had extras of went to Hope's nursery school
Small teddy bears and tiny toys also went to Hope's nursery school

Things I hope to pass on
Two large boxes of Avon returns

In December I was finally able to donate the books on pregnancy and infant loss I had to the new PBSO group in our area which felt great.

I was also able to donate books and toys in memory of Amy Dawn to local needy families at Christmas. I always get gifts that I think Amy Dawn would have enjoyed if she were here.

As you can see I am slowly getting there...
I'm just need to remind myself that one step at a time is best!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM

Oh! I totally spiffed up my 3rd floor last week! Does that count? I threw away TWO LARGE moving boxes of just stuff! Old bills, ads, board games that are shot to h*ll, kids' books with too many pages ripped out, etc. I wonder how much this counts for.

User Tag List